When will Telus actually innovate in the TV space?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Dark_Knight
Rockstar

With Shaw launching Freerange TV and Bell pushing their Fibe TV app, when can we expect telus to offer more than just a couple of channels on pik? Also, why isn't there an app only option for true cord cutters who don't own a tv? 

The way people are watching content is changing, soon smartphones and tablets will be responsible for the majority of TV content consumption...

iPhone power user
Community Power User
Community Power User

Bell's new 'Alt TV' is the only offering I am aware of independent of a set top device. Shaw's Free Range TV requires a regular subscription, similar to Telus' Optik on the Go product.  I was disappointed Telus did not offer an Apple TV App as well as the iPhone and iPad ones, I expect there will be freedom from a set top device in the future.

As for programming, some of the issues might be licensing requirements,  reducing the ready availability of channels. As a user in an area with ZERO over the air broadcasters, PIK would more than meet my needs, but I would like the ability to better select specific channels.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Community Power User
Community Power User
Bells "Alt tv" does offer the us networks in the basic package which is a good value. But you still need you to be subscribed to Fibe internet. (Like all Canadian providers are doing).

Once you leave the "basic plan" of ALT Tv the prices skyrocket and you're back to normal home services again.

In a perfect world there would be a service like SlingTV. The services launched by all providers are a step in the right direction. We're at the baby steps phase in Canada, compared to other countries. Slowly but surely I'm sure we will get there.

Hopefully in time the Pik TV channel selection will improve.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
VanG
Connector
For me the option to get 5 channels of my choice in the $20 starting price was the deal maker. Bell's Alt TV has US channels in the starting lineup but the price goes up significantly when you add the channels that I would have really wanted.
giantbrownguy
Ambassador

Given the usability of PikTV, I'd like to see new Optik hardware, using a similar Android-based interface. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's how slow the Optik tv interface is in responding to commands, especially when compared against Shaw's Bluesky. It doesn't seem like Erricson has done much since acquiring mediaroom. 

Community Power User
Community Power User

@giantbrownguy

There are the usual lags when loading apps, etc.,  but the guide is pretty quick. Of course it is also limited in the number of items it contains!

NFtoBC
giantbrownguy
Ambassador
@NFtoBC
Fair enough, though my box is generally goofy (crashes, lags). But my feeling is BlueSky and Pik are moving forward at providing more integration between online and conventional TV. It would be nice, as the premium service, if Optik got these kinds of features, especially when you see Bell being more forward thinking with the same service.

http://www.bell.ca/Fibe-TV/AppleTV#INT=FTV_tvfibehmpg_BTN_ALM_Mass_102416_wc_connect

It's small stuff but TELUS seems much slower at exploring the possibilities of the system.
giantbrownguy
Ambassador
Community Power User
Community Power User

@giantbrownguy

Yeah, but Ontario has all those wealthy customers to support Bell's rollout of these new options (BFG). ;-)

NFtoBC
giantbrownguy
Ambassador

😂😂😂