UPDATE: Making Pik TV better and better

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Folks, we're continuously working to make the Pik TV experience better so I have a quick announcement about an update that will be available starting May 14th which will improve the Pik viewing experience. 

On your Pik TV Android Media box, the update will be downloaded and installed automatically over your internet connection. This should only take up to 15 minutes. For updates to the Pik TV app on your phones and tablets, please update the app by going to the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.

More details about the update process can be found here.

What’s New?

1) Improved stability and security

The Android Media Box is now updated to Android Nougat (N) and includes stability and security improvements.

2) More channels to watch on your web browser

More channels like HBO have been added to the Live TV experience on web browsers. Enjoy now at www.telus.com/watchpik.

3) Updated details and guide layout

Discover more TV shows and movies with our new guide layout. Learn more about the cast, crew, and other interesting facts about your favourite shows.

4) Newer versions of Google Apps

With this update on the Android Media Box, you’ll get newer versions of Google Apps including YouTube and Netflix.

canucks4life
Ambassador

Updating now...fingers crossed Cat Wink

clint17
Helpful Neighbour

Updated yesterday. After some hick-ups with the remote got it going again. And the guide problem (not remembering the last selected channel) seems to be resolved now. Thank you Telus, good job here.

But instead of adding new stuff, how about fixing all the old annoyances first? Error 4-44-140 reappeared after 15 mins running time today. For some reason the data stream just stops. No automatic retries. A channel change gets it going again but its almost mid 2018 today - these problems should really correct themselves automatically! It does not happen with YouTube or Crackle, definitely a PikTV problem. What would you call a browser that stops loading webpages and you would have to start reloading them manually? ...

clint17

bb123
Connector

Thanks for the update info. Just curious, why was the box updated to Android 7 instead of 8? Other Android boxes are running 8 and were upon it's release in the fall.

Community Power User
Community Power User
@bb123 Remember this is android tv, not those cheaper boxes on amazon or ebay running the mobile version wrapped in a launcher.

Nvidia shield is on Nougat, Xiaomi Mi Box rolled out a beta of Oreo. still, Android TV on Oreo (8) developers have way more work to code for the new UI, and have been slow to do this.
id013
Resident
Hi, So since updating the Pik TV box to Nougat I've noticed that netflix has been having issues with playback. Specifically shows just stopping for no reason. It goes back to the main menu and although I can resume from where it left off it's annoying having Netflix stop for no reason. This only started happening after I installed the update, I've already tried restarting the unit multiple times as well as logging out completely and logging back in. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing? Thanks
Community Power User
Community Power User

@id013

Have you re-installed the Netflix App as well?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
bb123
Connector
I also have a Nexus player which updated to 8. I assumed if the work was being done to update the PIK box Telus would choose the most recent (8 months old at this point) version of Android.

Based on how long it took to fix the guide issues I don't give Telus the benefit of the doubt that much effort goes into making PIK all it should be.
Community Power User
Community Power User

Android N / 7 is currently the most common version of Android out there. It works, it's stable, and it gets security updates. 

Nexus devices are in a league of their own. They get updates direct from Google and that is the single reason you've seen a software update for the old Nexus Player. You'll also find that Android 8 is only running on a mere 5% of all Android devices. (Source) I'm strongly suspecting for Android TV devices the % is even lower. 

bb123
Connector
I'm also experiencing the Netflix stopping issue since the update. I have reinstalled the app and it's still happening.
brownknuckles
Connector
There are a few issues with the latest update, mostly with HDR playback. Android TV OS 7.0 and above has native support for HDR playback. Youtube does not play HDR content but I suspect it's because the box doesn't support the new VP9 profile 2 codec. Also HDR10 files on plex do not play on it either.
eggsbenedict
Neighbour

Has anybody noticed frame skipping issues since the new update?

Before the update the sports channels (TSN/Sportsnet) were buttery smooth 50/60fps. (CBC, CTV, and others have always been 30fps, which is irritating when trying to watch sports).

Since the update, I'm getting a couple of dropped/skipped frames every second on TSN/Sportsnet. It's not simply showing a 30fps feed (big difference between the same hockey game on CBC vs Sportsnet) it's pretty clearly a 60fps feed dropping frames. 

The box/cable/TV are all working fine, as I have the NHL.TV app running through Kodi on the box and the streams are buttery smooth. Seems to be something to do with the PikTV streams/app in particular. 

Anyone else noticing this?

Jeremy2
Resident
Since update I’m getting back screen stop restarts that last about 3sec in Netflix and Plex. Also the lights on the box go off completely after tuning it to standby and I have to press like volume or something to get the Bluetooth light back then I can turn it on.

Anyone else had similar issues
canucks4life
Ambassador

@eggsbenedict wrote:

Has anybody noticed frame skipping issues since the new update?

Before the update the sports channels (TSN/Sportsnet) were buttery smooth 50/60fps. (CBC, CTV, and others have always been 30fps, which is irritating when trying to watch sports).

Since the update, I'm getting a couple of dropped/skipped frames every second on TSN/Sportsnet. It's not simply showing a 30fps feed (big difference between the same hockey game on CBC vs Sportsnet) it's pretty clearly a 60fps feed dropping frames. 

The box/cable/TV are all working fine, as I have the NHL.TV app running through Kodi on the box and the streams are buttery smooth. Seems to be something to do with the PikTV streams/app in particular. 

Anyone else noticing this?

I'll try watch for it tonight...Go Jets Go!!!

eggsbenedict
Neighbour

@Jeremy2 wrote:
Since update I’m getting back screen stop restarts that last about 3sec in Netflix and Plex. Also the lights on the box go off completely after tuning it to standby and I have to press like volume or something to get the Bluetooth light back then I can turn it on.

Anyone else had similar issues

In addition to my frame dropping issue noted above, I just noticed the remote issue as well. I left the box for a few hours and the bluetooth connection died. One signal from IR and the bluetooth connection was reestablished. Shouldn't be a huge issue, but my box is tucked away out of IR range so I had to go into another room to wake the thing up. 

Nhaneo
Resident
I have the exact same issues. Plex will full on crash for me in the middle of playback. Also, after leaving on standby all lights go black and I have to unplug and plug in to get it going again. After which if I open the G menu too soon after startup the whole box becomes unresponsive and I have to unplug it again! This update seems hopelessly buggy, was really enjoying the service too but these constant errors are making it unusable!
eggsbenedict
Neighbour

I had a look at my brother's PikTV setup, and he isn't having the same frame dropping issue that I am, so it's something specific to my setup. I've tried a factory reset on my box, but I get the same issue. I wonder if it's something to do with my TV (LG 55B7P) not playing nice with the box. No issues with 60fps sources from Netflix or NHL.TV via Kodi, so I think it's something to do with the PikTV app, and not the base OS. But who knows. I'll see if I can drag a different TV up here to try that.

Hoping someone from Telus can chime in, as this forum is the only place to receive competent tech support.

I can get the rest of the playoffs via antenna, so it's not the end of the world for now, but 'll be cancelling if these issues aren't fixed in time for the World Cup, as the service is unuseable at the moment. Or if they give us some way to roll back the update, the guide issue wasn't all that big a deal to me, just kind of funny how long it took to fix.

Community Power User
Community Power User

What happens if you take your PikTV device to your brother's place?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Nhaneo
Resident
I think I solved my remote becoming unresponsive, I updated the remorse firmware through the setting menu and I came back this morning with it still connected and responsive so that's something.