Remote Control Programming

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Neighbour

I have tried to program the remote control that comes with the Telus PIK-TV Box to control my Panasonic soundbar to no avail. The soundbar is model SC-HTB370... albeit a couple of years old but not exactly ancient.  Anybody have any luck getting one of these working with the remote?  Does the remote control code database get updated fairly regularly or is what we currently see all that we can expect to get?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Since it's a bluetooth remote I imagine it gets updates often. Since it's a simple remote I don't think it's capable of controlling anything but the Pik box and supported TVs. There are no code lists like the Optik remotes have.

Seeing as how the SC-HTB370 only has optical audio and RCA jacks on it, would not your TV volume itself also be able to control the sound volume from the sound bar?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Neighbour

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately the TV (an LG, not a Panasonic like the soundbar) only has an optical output and no RCA jacks.  So the TV is connected to the soundbar with an optical cable.  As a result, the TV volume has no effect on the soundbar.
To split hairs, the PIK remote is both Bluetooth and Infrared capable.  When I mentioned "code" updates, I was referring to the infrared "codes" you can program the remote with through the PIK "Settings" menu.  I can easily program the remote to control the LG TV via infrared "codes" selected from this menu, but I have tried almost every brand/code combination for the Panasonic soundbar but none of them works.  In theory if the proper infrared signals for the Panasonic were added to this database of codes then the PIK remote could control it.  Hence my question as to whether this database is ever updated / added to.  If the answer is that it is rarely if ever updated then I guess I'll have to start looking into a universal remote of some sort.

Highlighted
Connector
I know this might have been asked. Have you update the remote firmware?

I had issues with my sound bar prior to updating my remote. It takes me a while to figure out why it is not working with a relatively new sound bar.
Highlighted
Neighbour
Yes. I've updated the firmware on the remote. Since I've had the PIK box less than a month the presence of a firmware upgrade as soon as I first plugged it in is what led to the question of how often there are updates. I was hoping they were fairly frequent and that I might be able to expect a "code" for my soundbar in the near future. My questions are now somewhat academic as I found a factory refurbished (*well known name brand*) universal remote control for a fantastic price. That should resolve my immediate concerns. It is unfortunate the PIK remote doesn't support a wider range of devices but [shrug] that's life.