cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pik tv vs Optik

Km102
Just Moved In

I have Optik tv Essential channels. I use only about 2 channels at most. Is Pik TV a good option if I want to cancel Essentials? Would I have to get new hardware?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Km102 

If you're looking to shave costs, Pik TV might be a good option. There are definitely a few things worth noting, though:

1. Pik TV does not currently have recording capabilities - so if you have a PVR today, you'll lose that.
  2. Not all channels that are included in Essentials are available with Pik TV. These include Stingray Music and the US major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, KVOS, PBS). Most US content is available on the Canadian major networks, but it's not 1:1. You will get your choice of 5 channels on top with Pik TV Basics + Pik 5 that are not included with Essentials, so that's a plus.
  3. Your Optik TV hardware will not work for Pik TV. To watch Pik TV on your television, you will need one (or 2) of the following:
    • Sony Smart TV running Android TV
    • Nvidia Shield running Android TV
    • Chromecast with Google TV - the $70 version that comes with a remote control
    • Apple TV (4th generation or higher) 
    • laptop connected via HDMI - not ideal
  4. Pik TV is limited to 2 concurrent streams - if you want to watch on more than 2 TVs/devices at the same time, Optik is a better bet.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

polecat
All-Star

@Km102   On the top of this page go to SHOP  and you can compare Optik and Pik.  All the answers are on  there. Starts at $ 10 a month.

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Km102 

If you're looking to shave costs, Pik TV might be a good option. There are definitely a few things worth noting, though:

1. Pik TV does not currently have recording capabilities - so if you have a PVR today, you'll lose that.
  2. Not all channels that are included in Essentials are available with Pik TV. These include Stingray Music and the US major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, KVOS, PBS). Most US content is available on the Canadian major networks, but it's not 1:1. You will get your choice of 5 channels on top with Pik TV Basics + Pik 5 that are not included with Essentials, so that's a plus.
  3. Your Optik TV hardware will not work for Pik TV. To watch Pik TV on your television, you will need one (or 2) of the following:
    • Sony Smart TV running Android TV
    • Nvidia Shield running Android TV
    • Chromecast with Google TV - the $70 version that comes with a remote control
    • Apple TV (4th generation or higher) 
    • laptop connected via HDMI - not ideal
  4. Pik TV is limited to 2 concurrent streams - if you want to watch on more than 2 TVs/devices at the same time, Optik is a better bet.

I hope this helps!

Km102
Just Moved In
Hi
Helped a great deal. Thank you so much. Decision time for me now 🐱