Pik TV is getting an upgrade!

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've found it is possible to scroll fast through the main guide by just holding either the up or down arrow on the remote. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @calvinj 

The new experience uses Google Home Assistant, which currently only supports English and is controlled by Google. As part of the operating system update from Android N to Android P - which was required, as Google support for N is coming to an end - and as part of the Pik app upgrades, we had to move our voice search over to Home Assistant.   

Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @Carters09 

A common complaint on the old Pik app was that the guide was slow to load. Having a video preview screen increases memory demands and slows down loading and scrolling, so a tradeoff decision was made to increase the loading speed. 

If you're in the full guide, the back/exit button should open the main menu on the left hand side of your screen. From here, you can navigate to Search, Home, Live TV, On Demand, Guide, Settings or Exit by using the up/down arrows on your remote. Pressing OK on your remote with any of these sections highlighted in green should take you there (Live TV, for example). A press of the right arrow should open up channel feeds by category (News, Kids, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Learning, Movies, Sports etc.). From here, you can press OK to launch the highlighted channel or scroll up/down/left/right to find a channel you want to watch. 

As Nighthawk mentioned, pressing and holding the up/down arrows in the guide allows for a fast scroll. 

If your remote control isn't functioning like this, I'd recommend seeing if there's a remote control firmware update or rebooting your box. Instructions for each of these is posted above.

Highlighted
Connector

In my experience - it works much better than the previous version.

One request - make the app available in Android TV Play Store, so it can be installed directly on TV without having to use the (older+underpowered) Telus box. If Bell Fibe can make their app available there - I'm hoping Telus can as well. I already watch everything from the TV built-in Android OS (netflix, youtube, gem etc) so having to switch to different input just to get PikTV app is sort of cumbersome.

Highlighted
Neighbour

I received my new box yesterday after my old one died and the new changes are very welcome. Android 9 is much faster on the new box and the fact that it now will support DTS, AAC, Dolby Digital+ and Dolby Atmos is great.

What I'd really like is the ability to prevent the PikTV app from starting when the box reboots/boots up. Sometimes I don't want to go to Pik TV I want to go to Netflix, Disney+ or another app. The new Pik TV app is a welcome change, but forcing it to launch at startup is rather annoying.

Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @Caboose 

When I power the box off (by pressing the power button) and then on - it returns to whereever I was when I turned it off, whether it's Netflix, Pik or the Android home screen. Is your experience different?

When the box is rebooted (Settings --> Device Preferences --> Reboot), it does launch into Pik TV. Unfortunately, this is a setting that cannot be changed (same as the old experience) since it's a TELUS Pik TV-specific device.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Thanks for the reply @KHR. When I put the box to sleep via power button, it does return to the previously used app, yes.

I was just hoping it'd be something we could disable so if it powers up fresh or reboots it wouldn't auto start. Will there be any plans on bringing the Pik TV app to Samsung Tizen TVs or available to install on Roku or other Android TV devices?

Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Enabling the Pik TV app on other devices - Android TV devices, Smart TVs etc. is something that we are currently evaluating. When and if I have news to share, there will be a post here!

Highlighted
Resident

This thing was unwatchable a year ago, still unwatchable. I would be embarrassed to put my name to this thing. Take a look at Shaw's to see how it is supposed to work.

Highlighted
Resident
Is anyone else having an issue with streaming Prime Video? Ever since the upgrade Prime Video is choppy. I have tried restarting the system and resetting it and it is not improving the problem.
Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @OHH 

How are you watching Prime Video? It's not currently available for download on the Google Play store from the Pik box.

Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @Casper 

I'm sorry to hear it hasn't been working for you. Are there any specific issues that I can try to address? Have you tried contacting our technical support team to troubleshoot anything for you? 

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

same here and a big pain... this new update is crappy

Highlighted
Resident

As a customer, I have been completely dissatisfied with PIK TV. It's down too often for system upgrades or maintenance. The quality of streaming is pathetic compared to directly streaming from the channel sites. I consider it a very poor value.