Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pik TV is getting an upgrade!

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi everyone,

I'm the product manager for Pik TV, and I'm excited to announce that the Pik TV Android Media Box is getting an upgrade! We're rolling out some improvements over the next 10 days - for more details, see the article here.

We hope you enjoy the new experience, and if you've got any questions or feedback, I'd love to hear them. I'll do my best to answer or pass them along to the team to get an answer.

Cheers!

KHR

44 REPLIES 44

After spending almost 4 hours on the phone with techs and customer service representatives, the issue is is with the box itself, and we were told by the tech that it would require opening up the box to fix it.  We're getting rid of Piktv and going with Optik.  Hope this isn't a major issue for anyone else. 

dominicl
Advisor
Thank you for upgrading the Android TV OS, it went smooth for me, just had to sign-in again (both Pik TV and Netflix). I noticed there was a remote firmware update available. It seems to have better Bluetooth connectivity for me (before, it was constantly falling-back to IR mode). The only issue I had was with the voice search (says « Can’t reach Google at the moment »), but I’m familiar with this issue on other TV boxes and it will get resolved with an upcoming Google app update (currently available to beta testers).

I haven’t played a lot with the Pik TV app itself, but I was glad to be able to access the program guide and the launcher with my tv remote (without the dedicated Guide or Home buttons).

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @dominicl 

Did you upgrade the remote control firmware? Doing so resolved most instances of 'cannot reach google assistant at the moment' in our testing.

Did you upgrade the remote control firmware? Doing so resolved most instances of 'cannot reach google assistant at the moment' in our testing.

You're right, it's working. I didn't think of trying again after installing the new remote control firmware.

li-abhishek
Not applicable

When exactly this upgrade will be rolled out ???

Hi @li-abhishek 

The upgrade is being rolled out gradually from July 16 to 26.

Don’t want to wait for the update? You can download the new version manually by performing the following steps: 

1. Go to Settings (Home > Settings [top right of screen]) press OK
  2. Locate the System update (> About > System Update Check for Update)
  3. Press OK and the upgrade will proceed

DN97
Just Moved In
Just a heads up that the Universal Search or Siri Search on the OptikTV App for tvOS is not working, it just loads indefinitely and nothing happens.

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @DN97 

I can raise this issue to the Optik and tvOS teams, but it might be worth posting to the Optik forum to see if other neighbours are experiencing similar issues or if they can help you out. This particular thread is related to the Android TV operating system and app update for Pik TV.

Does anyone know if we can roll back the upgrade? My box updated automatically and the new interface is HIDEOUS!! It takes about ten button presses to get anywhere now. I can’t scroll down any pages in the guide but can only go one channel at a time. I can’t go back to the previous channel I was watching. The back/exit button is now totally useless. Loading channels from the guide now takes more time. Nothing previews any more. I want to go back to the old system! Thinking of cancelling my account just because this upgrade is so frustrating to deal with.

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @Carters09 

I'm sorry you don't like the new interface. The operating system is the standard Android TV UI and is controlled by Google. There is no way to roll this update back as the old operating system will no longer be supported by Google. The new Pik TV app went through extensive design reviews and user testing with pretty positive results. There are a few issues with compatibility between the existing remote and the new OS, but our testing showed vastly improved speed, reliability and audio and video quality. The issue with the previous button is noted above:

If you exit live TV playback, by pressing back/exit or on demand or guide, the prev button will not remember your channel history. If you stay in live TV playback mode and go to another channel either by pressing the ch^ or ch˅ or by using the live guide, the prev button will remember your history and work as expected. You can launch the live guide by pressing OK twice on your remote control.

If things are taking too long to load, you may need to reboot the box: from the Android TV home screen (press the home or Google ‘G’ icon on your Pik TV remote) and then go to Settings --> Device Preferences --> Reboot.

Similarly, if your remote isn't working properly (the back/exit button no longer functions), there may be a firmware upgrade available - from the Android TV home screen (press the home or Google ‘G’ icon on your Pik TV remote) and then go to Settings --> Remotes & accessories --> Remote Control Firmware Upgrade. If your remote still isn't working, you can call 310-MYTV to request a replacement. The back/exit button should function as follows: if you're browsing in any of the main menu items (Search, Home, Live TV, Guide, On Demand) or watching Live TV or On Demand, pressing back/exit will return you to the main menu. If you're browsing a specific title in the On Demand catalogue, back/exit will return you to the previous screen. If you're watching live tv and have opened up either the information or live guide overlay, back/exit will close the overlay.

Could you elaborate on "nothing previews any more"? Do you mean that the full guide only displays box art in the top left corner rather than a live view? Are you not able to view On Demand trailers?

calvinj
Just Moved In

I see the comments about voice, and would like to note also that the previous version had support for Chinese voice commands, which my family members found useful. The new version is English only, not even French is supported. We would like to see this added back as part of the voice capabilities as well.

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @calvinj 

The new experience uses Google Home Assistant, which currently only supports English and is controlled by Google. As part of the operating system update from Android N to Android P - which was required, as Google support for N is coming to an end - and as part of the Pik app upgrades, we had to move our voice search over to Home Assistant.   

Hi there. The full guide displays box art in the top left with no audio.

Also the live TV guide (pressing OK twice) sometimes works with live tv, but mostly the picture freezes and stops being visible.

The buttons on the remote work fine, but just don’t do anything useful any more. Pressing exit while in the full guide does nothing. Pressing OK to go to live tv does nothing. Basically once I am in the menu, the only way to get out of it is to find something random in the full guide and click on it just to get back to the live screen. And because I can no longer scroll through pages at a time in the guide, things are painfully slow.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've found it is possible to scroll fast through the main guide by just holding either the up or down arrow on the remote. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @Carters09 

A common complaint on the old Pik app was that the guide was slow to load. Having a video preview screen increases memory demands and slows down loading and scrolling, so a tradeoff decision was made to increase the loading speed. 

If you're in the full guide, the back/exit button should open the main menu on the left hand side of your screen. From here, you can navigate to Search, Home, Live TV, On Demand, Guide, Settings or Exit by using the up/down arrows on your remote. Pressing OK on your remote with any of these sections highlighted in green should take you there (Live TV, for example). A press of the right arrow should open up channel feeds by category (News, Kids, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Learning, Movies, Sports etc.). From here, you can press OK to launch the highlighted channel or scroll up/down/left/right to find a channel you want to watch. 

As Nighthawk mentioned, pressing and holding the up/down arrows in the guide allows for a fast scroll. 

If your remote control isn't functioning like this, I'd recommend seeing if there's a remote control firmware update or rebooting your box. Instructions for each of these is posted above.

In my experience - it works much better than the previous version.

One request - make the app available in Android TV Play Store, so it can be installed directly on TV without having to use the (older+underpowered) Telus box. If Bell Fibe can make their app available there - I'm hoping Telus can as well. I already watch everything from the TV built-in Android OS (netflix, youtube, gem etc) so having to switch to different input just to get PikTV app is sort of cumbersome.

Caboose
Neighbour

I received my new box yesterday after my old one died and the new changes are very welcome. Android 9 is much faster on the new box and the fact that it now will support DTS, AAC, Dolby Digital+ and Dolby Atmos is great.

What I'd really like is the ability to prevent the PikTV app from starting when the box reboots/boots up. Sometimes I don't want to go to Pik TV I want to go to Netflix, Disney+ or another app. The new Pik TV app is a welcome change, but forcing it to launch at startup is rather annoying.

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @Caboose 

When I power the box off (by pressing the power button) and then on - it returns to whereever I was when I turned it off, whether it's Netflix, Pik or the Android home screen. Is your experience different?

When the box is rebooted (Settings --> Device Preferences --> Reboot), it does launch into Pik TV. Unfortunately, this is a setting that cannot be changed (same as the old experience) since it's a TELUS Pik TV-specific device.

Thanks for the reply @KHR. When I put the box to sleep via power button, it does return to the previously used app, yes.

I was just hoping it'd be something we could disable so if it powers up fresh or reboots it wouldn't auto start. Will there be any plans on bringing the Pik TV app to Samsung Tizen TVs or available to install on Roku or other Android TV devices?

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Enabling the Pik TV app on other devices - Android TV devices, Smart TVs etc. is something that we are currently evaluating. When and if I have news to share, there will be a post here!

OHH
Just Moved In
Is anyone else having an issue with streaming Prime Video? Ever since the upgrade Prime Video is choppy. I have tried restarting the system and resetting it and it is not improving the problem.