Pik TV has arrived!

Community Manager
Community Manager

It's new; it's hip, but what is it?

Our Pik TV Product Manager talks a bit about the journey from idea to launch.

All your questions about Pik TV can be found on our site - check it out.

Need help setting up Pik TV? Check out our how-tos and troubleshooting guides here.

Burning questions? Don't hesitate to introduce yourself and engage our community Smiley Happy

canucks4life
Advocate

Would actually consider this if those 5 channel selections weren't so watered down.

Community Power User
Community Power User

You still get the 23 basic channels. Plus the 5. Plus additional channels at $4

It is a pretty good deal for those cord cutters with limited to no OTA TV availability - it becomes a $5 per month proposition if you have an Internet package where you can drop the unlimited access fee, as Pik viewing does not impact your data volumes. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
kikithecafekief101
Ambassador

look's really good tho only in Selec cities like Prince George and Saanich, BC!!

hope soon to Fibre optic #SurreyBC or Vernon, BC

kikithecafekief101
Ambassador

what about a HTML 5 website? pik tv!! Smiley Tongue

#summer come soon for Pik tv and father's house, lol =)

canucks4life
Advocate

No love again for sports fans add another $20 premium on top.

Kind of odd choice on their guinea pig city selections when all that is really needed is high speed Internet.

Eligible on TELUS Internet 15 or above. Not available to existing Optik TV or Satellite TV customers. Only available in Red Deer, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Grande Prairie, Victoria, Saanich and Prince George.

Community Power User
Community Power User

I was looking at your http://www.telus.com/piktv link.... is there an online link somewhere that compares PikTV with Essentials, Lite, Optik and Optik 4K with features and prices?

Community Power User
Community Power User

@xl

Not that I have seen. The base channel lineup parallels Telus Lite TV, but at a lower price. There is no access to the American networks that I can see, other than CNN. Both Canadian sports networks are available for $20. Other streaming programs and apps are available inside Pik, and as independent Apps. I expect more will come.

Since data used to stream channels within the Pik App do not count against your data cap, I'd be tempted by this, getting a capped data plan and using the Pik streams to best advantage, so my net cost is only $5 per month. Just have to convince SWMBO, who likes a wider variety of programming than I.

NFtoBC
VanG
Connector
I saw this link at the bottom of the Pik TV page comparing Pik with Optik

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/pik-tv-and-optik-differences
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
OK.... Found it now. Need to expand the "Questions" drop down. Not quite as intuitive as I thought.

I would like to see a more comprehensive version that includes the monthly cost as a comparison for the Optik family of products.
Magiffin
Resident

Hey there, I'd love to know about availability say in Calgary. Thanks!

Community Power User
Community Power User

Magiffin wrote:

Hey there, I'd love to know about availability say in Calgary. Thanks!

Probably similar timeline as Vancouver.

NFtoBC
kikithecafekief101
Ambassador
Hopefully soon to Vancouver....
So I would not be on optik tv and have internet 15 or better. You only get one stream or six streams?, I don't get it, the specs say only one tv on at a time but then the compare them it's says for pik tv something for 6 stream on just internet. This is a soft launch tho hopefully they get more channels soon and a html website and then wit people on internet 100 or more give them at least 3 streams..
If it going to be like that, and come to Vancouver in early summer I'll tell my dad to switch...
With moving the pik box to different place then my house, how that work with someone both internet..... And optik tv?
Community Power User
Community Power User
Optik tv and Pik tv are two different services. You can only subscribe to one NOT both. Either Optik Tv (premium service with the entire channel lineup including 4k, multiple receivers/simultaneous "streams", Full PVR features).

If you're a cord cutter, or don't watch much television, Pik Tv would be the other option (with a limited channel selection, no PVR, one android device for one tv). Being Android TV based you have a wide variety of APPS and Games from google play. Netflix 4k app, Pluto TV etc.

Pik TV can either be connected by Ethernet or Wifi. It runs Android TV. Remember PikTV is budget friendly for a consumer who would like a basic selection of channels for a reasonable price.

Find this post useful? Hit the Like button.
Community Power User
Community Power User

kikithecafekief101 wrote:
Hopefully soon to Vancouver....
So I would not be on optik tv and have internet 15 or better. 

Yes.

You only get one stream or six streams?, I don't get it, the specs say only one tv on at a time but then the compare them it's says for pik tv something for 6 stream on just internet.

One stream. 

This is a soft launch tho hopefully they get more channels soon and a html website and then wit people on internet 100 or more give them at least 3 streams..

Unlikely. This option is to capture cord cutters, and offer them a selection of channels to round out the viewing they already may be doing. If you want more channels, and multiple streams, Optik is the way to go.

With moving the pik box to different place then my house, how that work with someone both internet..... And optik tv?

What's the advantage?  Once you move the device from its original location, you are consuming data from your plan. It has no channels not already on Optik, and has additional cost. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

NFtoBC wrote:

kikithecafekief101 wrote:
 You only get one stream or six streams?, I don't get it, the specs say only one tv on at a time but then the compare them it's says for pik tv something for 6 stream on just internet.

One stream. 

Thoughts...

• You are limited to one stream on the Pik TV app on the Telus box.
  • You can get a few additional streams running Pik TV app on your mobile device.  Warning... this will eat into your monthly data allowcation or eat into your cellular data plan.  Not sure if there is the same 3 device limit like on Optik on the Go.
  • if you use the PVR a lot to watch recorded content..... you will find Optik is preferred.
kikithecafekief101
Ambassador
K, thanks for info. Will telus optik tv ever have 5 or more steams my dad has 5hd and 0sd, how does it work with fibre 150 and 4K? Is pik tv getting a website also with 4k res?
Community Power User
Community Power User

The PikTV device can handle 4K.  However, the PikTV app is limited to HD at this time.

VanG
Connector
Has any one here purchased and tried the service yet?
Community Power User
Community Power User
A number of us have the PikTV service right now. What questions do you have?