Pik TV - blank screen, won't launch

cousinjunior
Advisor

personally, I doubt it's the box because I have had 2 brand new boxes now, and both did the exact same thing

the odds are tiny that both somehow have/had the same hardware problem, so I'll bet it's an app issue

the fix, to get past the black screen (with Android error) at bootup, is described above

and yes, approximately 1 in 25 times for me, it actually boots up without the error

cousinjunior
Advisor

possibly fixed ???

for the past 2 weeks (approximately from Dec 26th on), this problem seems to have suddenly resolved itself

it does not appear that the Pik TV app has been updated recently

I did nothing at all to my Pik settings

HOWEVER, I plugged in a small DAC into the Pik TV box so I could output 2-channel stereo sound to my stereo system

this DAC unit was plugged in/out several times, and I do not normally leave it plugged in

the DAC was plugged into the optical sound jack (TOSLINK) of the PikTV box, and also, its power supply cable was plugged into the USB port of the Pik TV box

is it possible that plugging this device into the Pik TV box somehow fixed the issue?

Community Power User
Community Power User
Just a coincidence as the actual problem is a software issue with the apk.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
cousinjunior
Advisor

yeah, I figured it was just a coincidence, however I'm pretty thrilled that it's finally working correctly -- at least for now!

RE: "as the actual problem with a software issue with the apk...."

can you please clarify... what is "the apk"?

thanks

Community Power User
Community Power User
When you see apps just lingo APK (Android package) is just the file format for the android OS.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
cousinjunior
Advisor

UPDATE: it's approx. 3 weeks now that my system is finally running properly... no more Android error every time I start up Pik TV!

wish I knew how it was fixed though....

retrogrouch
Connector

Had the pik box for a week now & like everyone else it's a total fail. Do not recommend.

Sound but no picture from the first login. Not sure how I got the picture to work eventually the first time as I was just mashing keys on the remote. Since finding this thread I have tried every suggestion. What works eventually is leaving it unplugged for 12 hours or more. Then multiple login attempts, reboots, cache clears etc. Fun, right?

Not user friendly, what's next, programming in basic using only the remote?

I had the pik box so confused/corrupted it wouldn't let me finish signing in before giving me an error message that I would have to select ok or exit & then attempt to sign in again, having lost all my precious digits I already entered. Finally unplugged it & left it for a few hours & it worked first try after that fiasco.

I left it on overnight after I got it working yesterday thinking I could watch today from the get go but no, it still crashed. Sound but no picture.

How many times should pik update? Only had one so far in a week.

If I stay on one channel too long it goes into sleep mode w/a nice screen saver picture. Hitting ok brings back the picture/sound. Normal?

@cousinjunior wrote:

UPDATE: it's approx. 3 weeks now that my system is finally running properly... no more Android error every time I start up Pik TV!

wish I knew how it was fixed though....

Is yours still working?

Is the DAC worth it?

I would like to run sound through my stereo but really don't want to spend one dime more on something that works barely half the time.

Highlighted
y1007
Resident

OMG. I'm having exactly the same problem now!! But I've never opened this app successfully........

I found that I can't open it from my phone and browser as well. But I can use it in my office(with internet from Shaw)....Is it the problem of the internet????