Error 4-44-206

lukaM
Connector

Hi,

Regardless which channel I watch, error "This channel is currently unavailable, please try again later. Error No.4-44-206"

comes up every time. Usually within 30 minutes. Attempt to re-start the channel fails with the same error.

Thank you.

Gregorio99
Helpful Neighbour

I have this error as well. Usually happens on the hour after you watch a program for a while. Then, the system does not allow you to access any channel for several days. Yes, I have changed browsers (Chrome\IE\FFox\Edge) and same thing and yes  have flash enabled and yes I have rebooted several times. Has been going on for MONTHS. 

Gregorio99
Helpful Neighbour

If you get that error, go into he Settings option on the screen and select Log Out. Then log back in again and try it. This worked for me.

Highlighted
lukaM
Connector

Thank you, Gregorio99!

I guess PikTV is not that important to Telus if they let customer issues go un-answered for a week. I chat to support yesterday,

and they gave me another work-around - clean cache and cookies. Worked for me for about half an hour. Then again 4-44-206.

So, casting to Chromecast is missing in PikTV app. In browsers it is available via Chrome only. But doesn't really work. Frustrating. 

Gregorio99
Helpful Neighbour

Actually, my solution of logging out does not work all the time. In fact, it only worked once.

TELUS continues to drop the ball in this area and is clearly misleading the public when it claims their Optik TV service will work with a browser. 

Even the TELUS  tech support reps will tell you they do NOT have a solution for this problem. 

Community Power User
Community Power User

Casting to a TV device is unavailable for many TV show applications; PikTV is not unique in that manner. Often this is dictated by the developer, or the copyright owner, as to what types of viewing will be available for their product.

I was surprised when some things (not PikTV) I wanted to project through my Apple TV were unavailable through that method, but I could set the TV up as a monitor instead, and view that way. Seems silly, but it is what it is.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Gregorio99
Helpful Neighbour

Thanks! Good point - and I understand it completely. 

However, TELUS should not make a big point about saying OPtikTV is available through a browser. 

Community Power User
Community Power User
While OptikTV is available by browser as it’s intended over the years things change. Like “casting”. This was never the intent of that product.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Gregorio99
Helpful Neighbour

I agree. However, I am not "casting". I am just using a browser. Then again, is that what you would define as "casting"?

lukaM
Connector

It is true. What is also true software that doesn't support functionality required by user has short life.

Casting is the future of IPTV. How Telus doesn't understand that is beyond me.

Telus has already missed the trend once when users started to cut cable. PikTV was a good chance

to get audience back. But it is loosing competitive edge fast - buggy, lacking functionality, poorly

supported. If Telus won't start listening this potentially very promising service is doomed.

Here's my vision of good TV service:

- large content 

- competitive price

- can watch on TV (seriously, how many watch TV on phones?)

- mobility (take service with you anywhere in the world)

- robust 

- well maintained

- well supported

For example, with CraveTV I was able to watch GOT premiere on big a...ss TV minutes

after checking-in hotel. Could you do that with PickTV?

lukaM
Connector

Reported this issue more than a month ago, still unresolved. BBC News stops after 30-40 minutes.

Gregorio99
Helpful Neighbour
Been like that for months. Telus not even acknowledging the problem.
tymes
Friendly Neighbour

So I had similar issue with Edge which I started using when with Chrome what happened was it would work for a minute and pause... but with Edge I got the Error 4-44-206 error and there was nothing I could do... restart, logout, change channels.  I looked here and no help either.

My solution to "reset" the connection and be able to watch live channels?   Thinking hard, I considered what was it was saying... "This channel is currently unavailable"?  what did that mean?  I couldn't watch any channels, so I had a brainwave -- is everything broken? I checked a free on-demand television show and found it worked, and found that doing that reset whatever so after watching a free on-demand/vod show for 5 seconds, I was finally able to go back and watch live streaming channels again.

Gregorio99
Helpful Neighbour

Yes, I have done that as well and it might work – buy only for a while. Then it will be unavailable. I have NOT been unable to watch Optik TV on line for about 2 weeks now. Same error message and it really seems broken. The TELUS tech support reps seem to be puzzled by this (“Well, it SHOULD work”) and are unable to be of any assistance whatsoever. Time to ask for a credit from TELUS on this.

tymes
Friendly Neighbour

Just so we're on the same page, and having the same problem, you can go see a free VOD show or even a movie trailer (no need to pay for anything) and that works fine, but you continue to have a problem streaming live channels and get the specific 4-44-206 error "Channel is not available"?

Again, after I rebooted yesterday, I got the 4-44-206 on two channels again, I just went and clicked on anything found a trailer and it was working in 15 seconds.

Gregorio99
Helpful Neighbour
Thanks!!
Will give this a shot tomorrow and let you know. Appreciate the input!
Gregorio99
Helpful Neighbour

Hey tymes;

That worked! We will see how long it lasts. Thanks again for the tip!!!