cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2-channel stereo sound from Pix TV box?

cousinjunior
Advisor

by any chance can I extract 2-channel stereo sound from the Telus Pik TV box?

I want to get the sound signal running into RCA cables so I can hook into my old-school 2-channel stereo

obviously there are no RCA jacks built into the box, but maybe I can somehow extract sound out of the USB jack, or ???

I suppose I could by an inline "HDMI sound extractor" device, but that involves buying another box with AC adapter, HDMI cable, etc. -- too complicated

thanks for any ideas

PS: my old Roku 1 box is great because it has RCA jacks built in... I just run a $3 RCA cable from there into my stereo, and get amazing stereo sound

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The first question will be does the Pik TV box even support that function on the USB port? If by some long shot it does, you're going to need something that will convert digital (USB) to analog (rca). Most RCA to USB adapters are for importing video/audio rather than the other way around. A lot don't work either so beware of ones on Amazon.

A USB sound card may work, IF the Pik TV box and even Android will support it. Memory Express has a USB to 3.5mm audio adapter that you could try but no guarantees it'll work. Most adapters won't work when connected directly to AV equipment including TVs.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Why not use the audio out from the tv to feed the receiver?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The first question will be does the Pik TV box even support that function on the USB port? If by some long shot it does, you're going to need something that will convert digital (USB) to analog (rca). Most RCA to USB adapters are for importing video/audio rather than the other way around. A lot don't work either so beware of ones on Amazon.

A USB sound card may work, IF the Pik TV box and even Android will support it. Memory Express has a USB to 3.5mm audio adapter that you could try but no guarantees it'll work. Most adapters won't work when connected directly to AV equipment including TVs.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

brownknuckles
Organizer
If you want to connect directly to the PikTV box. You'd need a DAC converting the optical out signal to rca

yes, a small cheap DAC unit to convert the toslink digital output from the back of the Pik TV box should do the trick!

that will convert it to 2-channel audio and I can plug my RCA cables into it

Q: seems that Pik TV app outputs in 2-channel stereo, but what if I'm running the Netflix app?... will that also be in 2-channel? (because I know that Netflix does "support" Dolby surround)

these small DAC units seem to run PCM stereo only, so I want to make sure that I can get the sound out for Netflix especially

I'm just wanting 2-channel stereo (out to my vintage stereo amplifier), not Dolby surround

thanks

Hi , i tried to connect a USB external hard drive of 5tb to the Telus Pik TV box and it was not working .

I got a message saying that Seagate Bac is safely ejected ( while it was still connected to the Telus box ) .

Is someone knows the issue about it ? Is there any issue with the Telus Box ? Or with the External hard drive ? Please note that the drive has been formatted to Exfat and it was not working . Someone told me three reasons can cause these issues :

1) The drive size is more than 500MB and your device does not support large storage drives.
2) You used the Quick Format option and not full format.
3) The drive's power consumption through the usb is too much for the device to use the drive. If you are using a usb hub try to use a usb hub with power. I also attached the picture concerning the drive .

Please advise. Thanks External hard drive.JPG

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

AFAIK, the PikTV unit does not support external drives.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"