speed channel

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Why not add your 2 cents into one of the many EXISTING threads for this topic? Making a new thread will not bring back the channel as the decision is final. Plus if you bothered to read any of the other posts, there are explanations regarding Telus not offering Speed anymore. Telus had it for a year longer than Rogers and Bell did.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
  1. Fox shut down speed in the US. It's only a matter of time before it dies in Canada
  2. Fox is likely wanting to charge far higher rates simply to ensure the TV providers don't renew so they can kill the channel once the last one doesn't renew.
  3. Yes, Shaw has it. For now. Odds are whenever their renewal comes up, they'll likely drop it also. Bell and Rogers dropped Speed over a year ago.
  4. Not renewing the contract for the channel doesn't break your contract. Go re-read the terms of service etc.
  5. Re-read points 1 and 2.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚
Highlighted
Neighbour

Speed is becoming Fox Sports 1...so I question the response that Speed is simply dying. From my understanding, it most definitely is not.

Highlighted
Resident
Why find they remove this from Optik...
Highlighted
Resident
Do we get a refund on our billing for you guys removing our channels? My contract is coming up and I believe we are going to be switching all our services from Telus to Shaw. I have been fighting with telus optik tv repairman for just about 2 years as our service has never worked correctly and still doesn't and have never been given a refund or reduced bill, very bad customer service if you trying yo keep customers!
Highlighted
Neighbour

I called Telus customer service and a pleasant lady told me that Speed Channel is no longer available in Canada or the US. That surprised me, because I'd not heard that had happened. Many of my friends are motorcycle roadracing enthusiasts and Speed Channel is almost our only source of that content. I called a friend, who has Shaw cable service and asked him to check if Speed was still active on Shaw. He checked, and the Moto2 race was being broadcast as we spoke. I phoned Telus's customer service again and spoke with a young man, asking him why the previous customer service representative had lied to me. He said he couldn't understand why she would say such a thing, as he was aware that the service had been halted, and he said there had been many calls to Telus custome service regarding Speed being dropped from the Telus line-up. He did a little more checking and said the problem is with Bell. Telus has a lot of rural customers, and serves many of them via satellites owned by Bell.  It seems Bell is having a dispute with Fox regarding the price and terms for Speed channel and will not allow Telus to use the Bell satellite system if they offer Speed channel to their customers. So its a corporate spat and we, the customers lose a valued service. I suggest contacting the CRTC, Bell and Telus, and let them all know this is unacceptable, and needs to be changed.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Nighthawk, I take it you work for Telus or some public relations firm that wotrks for Telus. All I want is that MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto 3 are available to me as they are the main reason I bought the service. I would also like to receive the World Suberbike and Sportbike races as well as the AMA Pro races, all of which Speed dropped this season. If you have any pull with Telus, see if you can get them to sort it out.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

I don't work for Telus or any company remotely related to them. If you are looking for specific sporting events, search online to see if TSN or Sportsnet has picked up the Canadian rights to them.

@RonThornton- Fox Sports 1 is not replacing Speed. It is an entirely separate channel. Plus FS1 is not coming to Canada. Fox has said it doesn't plan to offer it outside of the USA and the CRTC won't allow FS1 in Canada. (Zero canadian content)

Highlighted
Neighbour

What a crock. I called and complained, they said they tried to warn everyone thru email etc. I found out last night at 2 am when I was setting my PVR. I for one am confused how a channel such as Speed, can ill afford to keep losing places for viewers to watch? Maybe its me, but if Speed was my channel, I'd have every cable subscriber showing it. Either way, the customer service guy was awesome and just bought MotoGP today, so when my contract expires Sep, I'll have to switch back to Shaw, at least they lowered their prices to a more reasonable amount.

Highlighted
Advisor

I don't know why you guys are not angry at Fox ? They are responsible for this mess. They have probably not even offer a chance for TELUS to renew the speed channel rights. Who knows.

Highlighted
Guardian
My guess is that there were a lot of negotiations and details behind the scenes that we aren't privy to so it's hard to say what was and wasn't done. Unfortunately the Canadian market is such a small blip on radar for the US networks that they really don't care what we think or do.
Highlighted
Guardian
FYI, I was just reading this thread on the subject over on digitalhome.ca:

http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=181329

Also, from various other source on the Internet it seems Fox raised the price to carry Speed while reducing the programming. Rogers wanted to move Speed to a special package so that those interested could still subscribe without raising the price of the package it was currently in but Fox wouldn't let them. Thus Rogers dropped them. I suspect the TELUS negotiations went along the same lines. Not sure when Shaw's contract with Speed is up but I can't see things playing out much differently but we will see.
Highlighted
Connector

So Nighthawk, you talked to the good folks at fox and they told you this? If they did, they lied, Fox sports 1, 2 & 3 is offered in australia and england. I will say this 1 more time: Global is launching a new FOX SPORTS CANADA channel. They don't want the competition. Shaw just signed a new contract with fox, (june 3rd, 2014) for the speed channel. Fox at anytime can cancel the contract and pay out shaw for loses. I doubt speed will last much past the sept 17 launch date of fox canada and fox will pay out the only competition global would have. Any live sports on speed channel is a feed from the fox sports 1 channel and the rest of the programming is pre recorded shows. I have been watching everything i missed on speed this past weekend and alot more motosports with XBMC and the install of fusion and hub wizard.

Also nighthawk, Bell dropped speed channel earlier this year, why was telus allowed to carry on with that feed intil may 30th?

Highlighted
Resident
I just talked to telus and they could not come to an agreement with fox to renew their contract for the speed channel . If telus doesn't get this channel back by dec when my contract is up I will be going to shaw !!!!!!!! Not very smart TELUS!! Open up your wallet and renew your speed contract.
Highlighted
Resident
If telus doesn't renew there contract with speed I'll be going to Shaw!!
Highlighted
Resident

Just found out we lost Speed. Go away and come back to find I'm screwed by Telus. Really, couldn't come to agreement?? Which means you couldn't get it cheap enough so just screw your loyal customer base instead. Disgusting corporate behaviour. And nothing offered in return. Typical Telus.

Highlighted
Advocate

Would you rather they spent a fortune on it then raised your bill more for it.  If it would have been a reasonable increase from speed they would have accepted it.  From what I have read (may be wrong) Fox is trying to shut down Speed channel.  They have already shut it down in the states and moved all its programming to Fox Sports 1 and 2.  Bell, Rogers and Telus have now dropped it, Shaw still has it but I would almost put money on them dropping it after their contract is done.  One of the other people upset about it being dropped asked for beIN channel to replace Speed with ( I  know nothing of the channel) and telus has it upcoming and should be on free preview soon.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Did they ask us? Rates are constantly going up, I wouldn't have minded as spread out over 1000's of users, probably would have worked out to a few dollars.

If they get Bein Tv, that would be sweet but I am not holding my breath.

Highlighted
Advocate

Another member on the forum (nasty) found this http://www.telus.com/en/ab/get-help/service-updates-changes/tv/article.do?&topic=&subtopic= .  beIN Sports is the 3rd on the list.  It does not appear to be live yet, but if Telus has already listed it as upcoming then it is a good bet...but I take no responsibility if it doesnt show up lol.

Highlighted
Highlighted
Resident

my rates keep going up on my bundle i have with telus and then you take away a favorite choice of mine SPEED CHANNEL what do i get in return for this loss

Highlighted
Resident

I would ask the question why Telus was unable to negotiate a deal to continue to supply Speed Channel as part of thier programming? When I signed a contract with Telus Speed Channel was part of the Telus offering, does this mean that Telus has broken the terms of the contract and I am able to request that I want to change my supplier ? I am paying for a service that Telus apparently cannot supply ? Is my monthly billing going to reflect a lesser amount because of the fact that Telus cannot supply the programming that I am currently paying for, or can I consider that my current contract is now void and I can move on to another supplier?

I am most dissapointed, as an avid motorsports fan I have no other option but to loose Telus and go to the service of another service supplier.

Please reply to my concerns and make thsi sutuation right.

A very unhappy customer who has had nothing but problems with my Telus service, reception and and now this unacceptable situation. If someone at Telus could check my service account and look at all the problems that I have encountered they will understand my dissapointment.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Please read the other SPEED channel threads on these fora.

Edit - Mods amalgamated with other threads.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Resident

The loss of Speed  means no Le Mans or Moto coverage. Telus must not read these messages and do not read there own ads as to customer service or value for the dollar. I've tried contacting via email but have got no responce. So do I contact the CRTC to complain?

Highlighted
Resident

TELUS has added beIN sports and it is even on FREE PREVIEW until August πŸ™‚

Highlighted
Connector

,,!,, to telus and all the other cable providers for gouging canadians with over priced everything. When my contract is up, I will never pay for cable again. I have watched every race and alot more on XBMC for free. The crtc are useless , corrupt sacks of crap that allow cable and cell providers to rip us all off with over priced rates and lower quality service than in other parts of the world. When it's cheaper for me to get a cell phone in Washington state and pay for the roaming charges in Canada, there is a problem.  NO channel replaces speed/fox sports 1. All the races that are covered on that channel are gone. Bein channel is crap and "free" trial, wtf does that mean? Rates increasing on the sports package? Have to pay for a single channel? Had I been aware of XBMC prior to signing with telus, I never would have. So I guess I should also thank telus, had they not cut speed channel, I never would have gone looking for that truck race and never would have found XBMC.

Highlighted
Rockstar

I'm always surprised how upset people get over the loss (or sometimes gain) of channels. There are a hundred other ways to view the content, it's not worth the lashing out at the cable co. 

In SPEED's case though, they have a history of trying to gouge service providers, so i'm not surprised that TELUS and other providers both in Canada and the US have dropped them. It seems like this anger is misdirected, we should all be complaining to Fox/SPEED. If you want to express your frustration, here's the Fox Sports contact us form: http://msn.foxsports.com/feedback 

iPhone power user
Highlighted
Connector

So then, why did shaw sign a new deal with speed/fox sports 1 on June 3rd 1014? It's friday morning and I am watching sprint cup practice, just like I did a few weeks ago, on XBMC. ALL corporations are scum, they always put profits and shareholders over customers, always! As customers we are justified to express our disapointment with thier inability or in this case, unwillingness to continue to give customers the services we had when we signed on. Thats why the forums are here. If you are satisfied living in a world where people or corporations can lie, decieve, manipulate and amend agreements I feel sad for you. I demand honesty, integrity and services I signed on and paid for. maybe you are a telus troll?  maybe you arent, maybe you called to inquire about the contents of this thread and believed the lies you were told by the puppets on the phone? Just kinda curious why you are so willing to give telus a under the table handy J?

Highlighted
Rockstar

I'm always open to good discussion and agree that this forum is here for that reason, but you may want to dial back the anger a bit. It isn't constructive.

I'd like to explore your opinion on "ALL corporations are scum" and "If you are satisfied living in a world where people or corporations can lie, decieve, manipulate and amend agreements I feel sad for you.". While I do conceed that some businesses are not dialed-in to what their customers what, i'm not sure I agree that a) they are ALL scum and b) they all lie, deceive and manipulate.

I'm also a bit confused about what all of that has to do with TELUS? They were up front and told people they couldn't come to an agreement with SPEED/Fox...and the terms of service that YOU agreed to gives them the right to change the offerings, provided they give you advanced notice. 

If you are truly that unhappy with the loss of the SPEED channel, then i'm sure Shaw would love your business. 

iPhone power user
Highlighted
Connector

again with the anger thing. anger is the halfway point on the journey from fear to hate, that is not what is being displayed here.   It would be disappointment and like most that have posted in this thread, a desire to be compensated for the loss of one of my main viewing channels. But you did answer my question, I know you are a telus employee now. Sorry to disappoint, but ALL corporations put profits and shareholders concerns before customers, ALL of them. Shaw, BC hydro, Bell, Rogers, terasen are no different. I will honor my agreement (unlike Telus) and ride it out, but will never pay for cable again from any provider when its over. Carry on with passively accepting, I'll leave that up to you. BTW, how did that work out for Ghandi?