" Can't turn off set-top box with remote

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Navion
Friendly Neighbour

We got a new PVR recently and since then, the remote/satellite set top boxes won't turn off with the remote. They just go to a green screen with a "Press OK to watch TV" message. The set-top boxes themselves weren't replaced...just the PVR. 

Community Power User
Community Power User

Which new PVR did you get? The 4K one?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Navion
Friendly Neighbour

No, just a regular. Technicolor (didn’t know they were in that business!) IPV6016. But it’s not the set-top box that isn’t shutting off, it’s the Cisco/SA 4034510.

upload_7546597072757510714.png

Ray Tracy

Navion Medical Imaging

250-563-9109

1-800-711-8777

Navion
Friendly Neighbour

No, just a regular. Technicolor (didn’t know they were in that business!) IPV6016. But it’s not the set-top box that isn’t shutting off, it’s the Cisco/SA 4034510.

upload_49631017753897243.png

Ray Tracy

Navion Medical Imaging

250-563-9109

1-800-711-8777

SmokeJV
Advisor

It just happened with the most recent firmware update like a week ago. It happens to my 4K PVR too. The power light turns off but it still sends a signal to the TV saying press ok to watch TV

Community Power User
Community Power User

The boxes are never truly off. When you hit power it just turns on the green screensaver displaying Press OK or if working right a black screen. I even put my PVR on a power meter. Exact same power draw whether it's 'off', as when it's recording multiple HD streams and me watching one more.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Navion
Friendly Neighbour

The problem is this: I have it hooked to a monitor that shuts down (power saves) when there’s no video signal. PRE update, shutting down the box cut off the video signal, letting the monitor shut down. NOW, however, the monitor never shuts off because there’s this lovely bilious green video signal being fed to it all the time. I now have to physically turn the monitor off even though the box is in sleep mode/turned off/whatever.

jrueger
Ambassador

I agree this is a pretty stupid consequence of the latest "upgrade".  I have a computer monitor that I use for either the computer or for Optik TV on my desk (a dual monitor setup where I can work on the computer using two monitors or work on one monitor and watch TV on the other monitor).  Now the second monitor always thinks it is connected to the Optik box and I have to manually dive into the monitor settings to change the input - or just pull the HDMI connector on the Optik box.  This seems like a slightly idiotic "feature" to deliver in an "upgrade".

Simcoe
Resident

I've found this new "feature" pretty annoying.  I too use a monitor with one of my set top boxes that turns on and off if there is a video signal.  I phoned Telus and the tech told me they changed it to the green screen because "lots of people" were calling them to complain that their service/boxes weren't working when, I guess, they just hadn't turned on their boxes.

Navion
Friendly Neighbour

Wow, Telus, that's one of the dumbest "It's not a bug, it's a feature" excuses I've ever heard. I'll wait until the next release when enough of US complain to over-rule the simpletons who can't find an ON button!

Community Power User
Community Power User

Betcha the 'Simpletons' are the greater number on this one..........

Since it is easy to get out of sync, and not always the clearest to see and realize, I expect this change will stay.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"