cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless versus hard wired for t.v. reception.

SusetteLarke
Just Moved In

I am setting up two t.v.'s in an older steel and concrete building and don't want cable wires all over the place, so considering wireless as an option, however I am concerned that the reception won't be as clear as going hard-wired.  Does anyone have wireless and how do you like it?

3 REPLIES 3

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You will need Ethernet between the internet Gateway and the PVR no matter what the other TV connections are. If you currently have Wi-Fi in your building, you can get an idea of how well the wireless option might work by looking at your current signal strength in different rooms. 

The only issue I have found with wireless in my frame house is that the remote TVs respond more slowly to the remote control, especially when skipping forward or back in a program. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I hard wired my house and fished down the walls. Hard wired is always the preferred method.

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I've been using the wireless option for 18 months and just love it.  What I did was sign up for the wireless option with an installer visit.  When the installer arrived, we tested the possible locations for reception quality.  Once the tests passed, he only needed to use that WMD drill bit for one hole into the home.

Yes, wifi with your phone is a great way to quickly assess for possible interference.

For additional screens.  The Optik on the Go app on my phone, tablet and laptop gives me additional screens in temporary locations around the home.