cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why won't my optik box initialize?

Cwps29
Neighbour

My telus TV won't initialize, I have a blank screen that says "no video signal". I have unplugged and restarted everything and checked all connections. The green power light flashes but nothing happens. Is there anything else I can try other than a hard reset? I really don't want to lose all my recordings. I find this happens every few months or so with no warning. I'm watching tv, the program ends or I pause it and the box goes into power save mode and displays the green screen, and when I push a button to resume it **bleep**s the bed. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks 

7 REPLIES 7

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

It could be something with the box itself. Normally if the box is stuck with the initializing message on screen it may not have an internet connection. If it's blank and no signal, check the input setting on the tv to be safe. Still a chance the box failed. Have you ever seen gears or a red X on the screen? Do you have other Optik boxes and are they working?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Cwps29
Neighbour

I'm not sure what happened but it's working this morning. There was no signal on the other boxes either last night. Thanks for your suggestions! 

ET
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

As @Nighthawk mentioned, when the boxes are all out together it's usually the cause is often the internet connection. In such a scenario, you can always try to unplug the power cord of the router, wait 10 seconds and then re-plug it.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If all the boxes are down at once, it's usually the internet connection is down. Good to hear it's working again.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Cwps29
Neighbour

I did unplug the modem/router, and the box itself. And the TV. Anything connected I unplugged. I rechecked all connections. I still was able to connect to the wifi/internet using my phone, so the internet wasn't down. Anyways, thanks very much for the help! It's working now 

Doug1Ames1
Ambassador

My PVR initializes itself at random on occasion, sometimes even in the middle of recording a program. Probably just firmware bugs - the firmware comes from Microsoft after all.

When it does, I get 3 dots on the TV screen briefly, then the screen will blank and the box will blink the green power button light for about 2 minutes before it finally shows something and says "Initializing". Then it takes another minute to finish initializing, and another minute to realize that it should be recording and start the recording again. It doesn't happen often enough to be a serious problem, and I'm sure they'd just make things worse if they tried to fix it.

Maybe you think your box isn't doing anything because it's in that "blank screen" phase with the power light flashing for a long time.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Microsoft sold off that software many years ago. 

It's not normal for the PVR to randomly reboot and take forever to do it. Mine can go without rebooting for weeks or months. You may want them to check it / the connection to it / or replace it.