Why is recording not allowed on some channels?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
Some channels display a notice that says recording is not allowed on this channel.

Why?

I think a discount is owed because no one mentioned this when we signed our contract.

I have searched the Internet but somehow nothing applicable comes up. Strange I am the only person complaining...What gives?

Mr. Kong

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've had that before with my TV. Some content producers / shows do not want users to record them. It's undocumented but a frustrating reality of modern technology and copyright dictators that want to make it difficult for consumers. Even PPV/VODs usually won't let you record them to watch later even though you pay for them.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Resident

You're not alone.  However Telus may be alone.  I  have just had Optik installed and changed from Shaw.  I tried to record a show and got the error that recording was not allowed.

Well that's odd it was allowed on Shaw. The programme in question was on Discovery or some version of Discovery with both carriers.

I'm not sure what's happening??  Doesn't this kind of defeat the concept of having a PVR.

It would be nice if Telus could give us an explanation.

Rick

Highlighted
Most Helpful
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Being unable to timeshift is significant if I'm going to install Optik.

Can anyone confirm if Fairchild can allow me to record and then playback when I get home from work?  Does timeshift recording work for Fairchild HD?

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Ambassador

Hi there,

You should be able to record on any live TV program. If you are getting the message that recording is not allowed, that generally means that you are not subscribed to that particular program.

If you have any further troubles, please reach out to us at: www.telus.com/chat for assistance. πŸ™‚

Highlighted
Most Helpful
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Does anyone have Fairchild and Fairchild HD to confirm?

I went to the Oakridge Mall store to test, but they don't subscribe to the Chinese package.

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Resident

Thanks Hiipo - that solved it.

I am subscribed to Discovery on channel 702.  The show I was trying to record was on Discovery World HD and channel 711.

All Replies
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've had that before with my TV. Some content producers / shows do not want users to record them. It's undocumented but a frustrating reality of modern technology and copyright dictators that want to make it difficult for consumers. Even PPV/VODs usually won't let you record them to watch later even though you pay for them.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Resident

You're not alone.  However Telus may be alone.  I  have just had Optik installed and changed from Shaw.  I tried to record a show and got the error that recording was not allowed.

Well that's odd it was allowed on Shaw. The programme in question was on Discovery or some version of Discovery with both carriers.

I'm not sure what's happening??  Doesn't this kind of defeat the concept of having a PVR.

It would be nice if Telus could give us an explanation.

Rick

Highlighted
Most Helpful
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Being unable to timeshift is significant if I'm going to install Optik.

Can anyone confirm if Fairchild can allow me to record and then playback when I get home from work?  Does timeshift recording work for Fairchild HD?

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Ambassador

Hi there,

You should be able to record on any live TV program. If you are getting the message that recording is not allowed, that generally means that you are not subscribed to that particular program.

If you have any further troubles, please reach out to us at: www.telus.com/chat for assistance. πŸ™‚

Highlighted
Most Helpful
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Does anyone have Fairchild and Fairchild HD to confirm?

I went to the Oakridge Mall store to test, but they don't subscribe to the Chinese package.

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Resident

Thanks Hiipo - that solved it.

I am subscribed to Discovery on channel 702.  The show I was trying to record was on Discovery World HD and channel 711.

Highlighted
Resident

im subscribed to dicovery and natgeo, but i cant record anything still. i read hat hippo said, but thats not the problem. help!

Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

In that particular case, dialga009, TELUS Technical Support may need to have a look at your account to see what the problem is exactly. They have the ability to check the diagnostics of the PVR to ensure there are no issues with it.