Who missed another Olympic event due to guide inaccuracy, technical ineptitude!

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Ann
Friendly Neighbour

2nd morning in a row where Olympic Curling GOLD final featuring Canada was listed on chl 12 @ 5:30 and it recorded the Sochi2014 Olympic banner for 3 hrs. It still shows that I recorded both Curling events. Had an online chat with 2 Telus people yesterday and was told it was a "glitch" twice, was told to check the CBC to make sure it was on at that time (Telus's Job - NO?), was even told to watch it later or get this, RECORD IT when it's replayed! I can only record 3 things at a time, I can't cover all of their channels all the time just trying to catch what they scheduled. I've been able to record a few other events when I want. I wonder what their reply will be this time, another glitch.

Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
The guide, of course, is built from information supplied by the networks. It likely comes through an aggregator who will provide the information to any number of 'TV Guides' including those published in newspapers. I'm surprised it has any accuracy at all, given the number of agencies involved. And it is just a 'Guide' not a certainty.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Most Helpful
Ann
Friendly Neighbour

It's certainly not guiding me to the events with accuracy. What am I paying for, a show that may or may not be on? And I quote "When Team Canada hits the ice, you're cheering them on from the best seats in the house. Because with the most comprehensive CBC coverage of the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games, Optic TV customers like you can enjoy every nail-biting, edge of your seat moment" this from the email Telus sent me yesterday. Of course the event may not be on as scheduled so  "sorry" !

Most Helpful
Parrot
Advocate

Hi Ann. You can also catch up on the events at channel 23. Online content is also available at: http://olympics.cbc.ca/

Ann
Friendly Neighbour

Mr. Parrot, Telus markets and advertises a comprehensive TV service which it claims has complete Olympic coverage, one which you can view "any where any time on any device". This is accomplished by viewing, planning and recording selected events according to the Telus controlled viewing guide on your PVR. I think we can all agree that Winter Sports are a pritty big deal in Canada and what event is biggeer than the Olympics especially when Canada is playing for GOLD. Now many people prefer to watch events live and will get up at 5:30 in the morning in the middle of a work week to enjoy the event LIVE, others will prefer to watch it time delayed at their own convienience, but all want to watch it at their own preference. This is the service we are paying for is it not? Now when I turn on the Telus guide and see Olympic Womans Curling GOLD listed on chl 12 at 5:30 am and I record it to watch a few hours later, that's what I expect to get, that's what I'm paying for, or so I thought! This is how I see it; the Olympics plans and sells the feed to CBC who in turn plans and sells the feed to Telus who plans it's guide according to what they received. I'm going to guess the planning was done 2-4 weeks ahead if not more as the Telus advertising ramps up before the Olympics. What I fail to see is how any updates and changes passed down to Telus were not being monitered and adjusted on an hourly basis in order to provide accurate quality service to it's passionate, paying customers. What are we talking about, maybe a 1/2 dozen emplyees at most dedicated to providing accurate listing and viewing to the SINGLE LARGEST SPORTING EVENT in the WORLD! If I missed the 2 GOLD Curling events over 2 days then I'm sure there were 1000's of other who are in the same situation, but being GOOD CANADIANS they probably didn't say anything........ Is Telus a GOOD CANADIAN?

Community Power User
Community Power User

Ann you obviously have no idea how television works behind the scenes. Changes monitored and updated hourly? That's a laugh. Most networks only supply details once. On occasion the networks may provide an update but that's rare. Even if Telus had extra dedicated staff on hand, they would have just been sitting there costing you the customer extra money while waiting around for non existent updates to arrive. There are last minute changes and delays that can, and do happen. Not to mention there are also delays and recheduling of events at the Olympics as well (outdoor ones mostly).

As for being a "good Canadian", you actually insinuated in your own rant that you aren't one... and you even answered your own question to Telus with the previous sentence.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Ann
Friendly Neighbour

Yes I stepped out of my comfort zone (unCanadian) with these posting as I was not getting answer from Telus as to why I was not able to watch my scheduled events. I've tried other avenues with no answer other than it was a "glitch" or "watch it later". If Telus would come out and explain the true reasons for these errors, as some offered,  then I wouldn't have to RANT to get some explanations. I just wanted an answer from someone in the know at Telus and I though I could fish one out on their forum. Thanks for your reply and I will gladly let this fish go.