Where is the 4K hockey??

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I'm here in BC an currently have the Sports package plus the free 4K sports preview but I don't see any upcoming NHL games? I realize they have to be Toronto or Calgary but there is nothing for upcoming events.  

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
The 4K sport channels broadcast various sports throughout the month. Selection is limited and NHL games are even more rare. NHL games in 4K was limited to 7 games..

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
The 4K sport channels broadcast various sports throughout the month. Selection is limited and NHL games are even more rare. NHL games in 4K was limited to 7 games..

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Coach

It is just not worth the money for the sports package for the amount of games you get.

Highlighted
Resident

the 4k games are listed on the guide but I cant watch them. i have the hockey package and 4k

Is this Telus not paying Rogers??

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

It's most likely the NHL and their blackouts. What do you see on screen when you try watch the 4K games? Also which games and what province are you in?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Ambassador

All TSN 4K games are blacked out outside of their regional markets for Leafs, Sens and Habs.  TSN has those rights.

@optimist wrote:

the 4k games are listed on the guide but I cant watch them. i have the hockey package and 4k

Is this Telus not paying Rogers??

Highlighted
Coach

East games get blocked out unless owners give permission to show the games out on the western trundra.lolololol

Highlighted
Coach

It is getting to the point where there is not much sense of having TSN as part of your cable package as most of their hockey games are blocked out to western Canada.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
As I stated in my post below last year only 7 NHL games were broadcasted in 4K. The majority of the time there isn’t any content available. On average every 2 weeks there will be a live 4k game of some sporting event.

Highlighted
Resident

Telus sucks big time, got it for 4k hockey and living in BC ALL the 4k games have been blacked out.  Waited over an hour to contact them on my first 3 occasions to call....Shaw has much better support and cheaper.

Highlighted
Ambassador

@texfre I would like to get 4K for hockey broadcasts and I live in BC too. The 4K technology is in its early stages of deployment and in a few years, 4K content & hardware will be the standard from 1080p. You, as an early adopter of 4K pay a high price to get the hardware & available content early but as the NHL seasons progress, 4K cameras will be available at all NHL teams and not just the Maple Leafs.

I'd say, "hang in there". NHL in 4K will come eventually. It may not be now but it will later.

Highlighted
Neighbour

I'm not so sure about a few years away. Watching in 4k requires both 4k capturing, and 4k playback. 4k capturing is very expensive, and 4k playback isn't cheap either. Until more than the tech hungry people in the middle class bother with 4k stuff, most sports and TV places aren't going to be super into bothering getting everything done with 4k cameras.

It's still a bit a bit of a technological problem itself. I'd point towards computers. 4k has been floating around for awhile, but even now, top of the line graphics cards really struggle to get anywhere near 4k 60 FPS in very good looking video games and the like. You need a very expensive computer to get it, and even then, some games just aren't optimized very well to reach that.

Solid, worthwhile 4k is still a ways off from a hardware perspective with computers, they need a bigger leap than they've been getting on video cards. And because of that and how expensive even minor upgrades are currently, I'm guessing that even most TV producers and sports franchises are really chomping at the bit to get their product out in 4k.

Seems like the only 4k titles are from Netflix and Amazon from their original series, and that's probably only because they can easily afford it. I don't think it's going to catch on very much until 4k stuff becomes more affordable, and at the moment that just doesn't seem very likely.

Highlighted
Ambassador

@maddielux 4K TVs have started selling since 2015 and Telus just began deploying 4K in 2016. Look at where 1080p is now since it started rolling out in 2008/2009. Also 8K TV will come out in the 2025 time frame. Before 720p/1080p there was 480p and before that was 360p so there is a linear progression here.

I'd say that all major professional sports leagues from the NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB, CFL & MLS will have their sports team broadcast in 4K at the same time. Already these major professional sports leagues have websites that stream their respective games not to mention that Sportnet & TSN also stream their channels on the Internet.

However, the question is, "Will TV cord-cutters continue trending in the tens of thousands"? With many consumers using their connected devices to watch their media content, there is a likelihood that 4K TVs will become how home phones, PCs & computers are. They've been succeeded by smartphones, tablets & laptops.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I was really hoping for 4K hockey this year. Only home based Ottawa and Toronto games are in 4K and no one here in BC can watch those due to blackouts. 

Telus' HD picture isn't as good as Shaw for fast motion, especially sports. The picture is softer and during motion like hockey its blurry compared to Shaw.

However, 4K which uses ATSC 3.0 is much much better. Telus does provide a really awesome picture for 4K which I've seen Toronto Raptor games in and it looks amazing. Just wish we had it for all Canadian NHL teams. Currently all HD broadcast uses ATSC 1.0 which is only 720p or 1080i. The issue is  Telus seems to compress their signal more on their end to their customers. You don't notice it too much only on smaller TVs but when you start getting into 55" or larger you can clearly see for regular HD content Shaw is better than Telus.

I know it due time we will get 4K hockey but Telus' current HD picture quality compared to Shaw is killing me. 

Highlighted
Ambassador

@texfre wrote:

Telus sucks big time, got it for 4k hockey and living in BC ALL the 4k games have been blacked out.  Waited over an hour to contact them on my first 3 occasions to call....Shaw has much better support and cheaper.

...but Shaw does not have 4K hockey from TSN either!