Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will telus bring optic tv and internet to rural alberta

Pinecreek
Just Moved In

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hippo
Leader

Hey! You can always check for updates on the Website at: https://www.telus.com/order/services/

View solution in original post

I agree completely.  It seems like rural Alberta is left with high latency cellular solutions with download caps.  In our town (Hanna) we've been stuck at 6 mb for the maximum speed for probably 4 years now.  I'm told that 15 and 25 used to be sold but they took those away for some reason. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Hippo
Leader

Hey! You can always check for updates on the Website at: https://www.telus.com/order/services/

I've been checking on the Telus website for the past 4 years. Since the time when Telus used to be Alberta Government Telephones, the customer care and service for rural Albertans seems to have fallen by the wayside. Knowing how fiberoptic cable has been installed recently, it shouldn't be too difficult for Telus to provide marketable service to ALL Albertans, not just those in urban environments.

I agree completely.  It seems like rural Alberta is left with high latency cellular solutions with download caps.  In our town (Hanna) we've been stuck at 6 mb for the maximum speed for probably 4 years now.  I'm told that 15 and 25 used to be sold but they took those away for some reason. 

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum
It would help if you mention where is "rural"? Alberta is a big province. I'm still trying to get service in the Dunsmuir tunnel in downtown Vancouver.

Dimitri
Just Moved In

Download is 0.14 upload is 0.53 this alway happens no matter how many times I reset the modem. Is this what you're going to hold us too in irricana maybe I should bring this up with town council. Telus is the only hard lined Internet service provider in irricana, you need to provide better speeds, or just leave the town, stop making excuses and provide results it is 2016 not 2000. Airdrie has high speed and optik, built its own network why does this company think it can do what is wants to us.  

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The best thing you can do is get the entire town together as well as the town council and approach Telus regarding an upgrade. It has worked previously for a number of small towns. Also get as many people you can in town to fill out this form > https://fibre.telus.com/iwantfibre/  The upgrade won't be instant but it'll happen a lot sooner if enough people come forward.

The problem with living in a small town / village is that the services available in larger cities are not always there or if they are there are limitations. Irricana is far enough away from anything that it could be considered remote. One big reason that it's taking time is that there is a huge financial cost of doing the upgrade and the new hardware infrastructure, especially if Telus has to run a new fiber line to the town. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

In parts of BC, others than Telus have run the backbone, and community organizations or small business are providing the last mile. Have a look as to what the Feds were providing in financial support for connecting small, rural communities to high speed internet, and see if there is a way to join in to that initiative.

Eg. http://www.servicealberta.ca/FMRCI.cfm

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Shane
Leader

Telus is constantly advertising Optik in the local newspaper, but it is not available here in Banff. I would like them to either: 1) stop asking us to sign up, when you can't get it, or, 2) make it available.

Shane.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

See my post above on how to do that.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Shane
Leader

I did that some time ago.