What does TV on Demand Cost?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Doug1Ames1
Ambassador

It's nice that Telus offers TV On Demand through their set top boxes, but I wish they would provide a clearer statement of what's included free in my service and what isn't. Not knowing the layout of the On Demand service in advance, and having the impression that it mixes some free and some paid content, I'm a little reluctant to experiment. I don't want to inadvertently click on the wrong thing and end up with an unexpected charge on my bill.

So let me ask two simple questions that maybe people here can answer:

1. With Telus Optik TV, what content is available free of charge through TV on Demand through the Optik set top box? I can't find anywhere in the Telus descriptions where it actually says this.

2. How do you know when you're getting into extra-cost paid content? I'd just experiment to find out more if this box wasn't linked directly to billing my account. I don't know in advance if it would warn me if I clicked on extra-cost content.

Really Shaw is equally bad in this area. I think both companies would get more users for their On Demand services if they could be more clear up front about these points.

Accepted Solutions
Most Helpful
Hippo
Ambassador

@Doug1Ames1

All of the TV on Demand content can be viewed free of charge, as that programming is included with the channel packages that you subscribe to. When you click on the program, it will display a watch button, if that program is available to you.

The VOD movie content is generally available for a charge. Again, when you click on the video you are wanting to watch, the price of the movie will display on the screen and you will have the option to Rent.

Also, if you click On Demand > Featured > Free it will display the current free options available. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Can't answer Shaw...

When I push Telus's On Demand button I am presented with several categories.  Some are free, some cost money, some a subscription.

Choosing the Movies category, there are free movies and there are movies that can go up to $7.  Hmm... a few months ago, there was a FREE category, not sure why they removed that heading.... I like FREE.

Most Helpful
Hippo
Ambassador

@Doug1Ames1

All of the TV on Demand content can be viewed free of charge, as that programming is included with the channel packages that you subscribe to. When you click on the program, it will display a watch button, if that program is available to you.

The VOD movie content is generally available for a charge. Again, when you click on the video you are wanting to watch, the price of the movie will display on the screen and you will have the option to Rent.

Also, if you click On Demand > Featured > Free it will display the current free options available. 

View solution in original post

Doug1Ames1
Ambassador

@Hippo wrote:

Thanks, I see that, buried way down the scrolling list of Featured categories, right after Freeview (looks like mostly movie trailers?)

TVGuy
Resident

Any time there is a charge in On Demand, you will be warned. So I wouldn't worry about accidently incurring charges.

My suggestions on where to find the free content:

• TV On Demand >> Major networks. Everything in there is free for everyone, as they are tied to essentials channels.
  • Everything else under TV On Demand is free if you subscribe to the corresponding channel (expection is Full season rentals, which are paid per episode. But again, you will be warned before being charged).
  • Featured >> Free. Everything in there is also free. Including music videos, ambience videos, and some great local programming.
  • Features >> TV On Demand Freeview. These are all free, with examples corresponding to the paid TV On Demand channels. There are a few titles in there to check out.