Watching Optik TV Recordings on iPhone

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

I have read a 2014 posting that says you cannot watch Optik TV PVR recordings on an iPad or iPhone (http://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-TV-Home-Phone/Optik-TV-App-gt-Watch-recordings/m-p/30075/highligh...).

I am also familiar with using the Optik TV Go app for On-Demand programming.

However, like the 2014 posting, I would like to use my iPhone 6 and the Optik TV app to play my Optik TV PVR recordings.  When I select a recording using the Optik TV app and press Play, the app says "Loading" and then does nothing.  If playback is not supported, then why is there a "Play" icon in the app?  Surely there has been progress the last two and a half years to allow TELUS Optik TV customers the ability to play PVR recordings on mobile devices?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

The Play icon on the app causes the recording to play on the Optik box your phone is paired with if the box is on.

As for watching recordings on the app, if the app even is capable of it, I suspect the main thing preventing it will be the licenses for the content involved. I've had a few occassions where shows on Much were not possible to watch on the go and came up with a message about the content not being licensed to be viewed on my iPhone.

I'm not aware of any provider in Canada that is currently offering the ability to watch recorded shows on our devices no matter how much we as consumers want it.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

The Play icon on the app causes the recording to play on the Optik box your phone is paired with if the box is on.

As for watching recordings on the app, if the app even is capable of it, I suspect the main thing preventing it will be the licenses for the content involved. I've had a few occassions where shows on Much were not possible to watch on the go and came up with a message about the content not being licensed to be viewed on my iPhone.

I'm not aware of any provider in Canada that is currently offering the ability to watch recorded shows on our devices no matter how much we as consumers want it.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Resident

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

I understand what you are saying, it's just surprising that licensing is still an issue after all this time, especially as On-Demand programs have licensing factors and they work on mobile devices in the Optik Go app... 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yeah, they can be funny at times. I can watch Optik on my iPad while at my brother's house (Shaw), but cannot cast it to his Apple TV.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
I use a slingbox I get all channels i subscribe to as well as access all my recorded content.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Ambassador

Which version of Slingbox do you have?  I was thinking about buying one.  Is it the M version or the HD 500 version?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
@vishwa I have a 350 and purchased a M2 a while ago. Picture quality wise no difference, but the M2 is more stable. The 350 was prone to the Ethernet dropping.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Ambassador

@WestCoasterBC,

Thanks for this info.  I was about to buy a 500 HD model because of the hdmi input/output.  Then I ran into HDCP error(unrelated to slingbox) right after the last update on my 4K PVR.  Later on I read that the HDMI on the 500 HD model is not guaranteed to work.  Then, I saw M2 model much cheaper than the 500 HD model.  It is nice to hear from some actual user that it is working.  

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
@vishwa You don't need hdmi, component does just as good of a job. The picture quality really comes down to your internet connection and the upload speed.

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

So are you saying the 500 won't work ? My HDMI connection on the 500 results in a flashing screen...