cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Optik TV Hardware

giantbrownguy
Rockstar

Hey, this is a question for our community moderators to look into - I am interested in upgrading to the new Telus Optik experience. I reached out to chat about upgrading and what they said was "These promotions are currently offered to new Optik TV users. Existing customers for Optik TV will receive an email about the delivery and upgrade of their current boxes once its available and offered to existing."

Is there any more detail about timing and availability for this? They were pretty vague, but I know information moves differently in different departments. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

buckycat
Leader

I brought it up a while ago and was told by a moderator here new customers only.

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Optik-TV/Cloud-pvr-New-Customer-Only/td-p/133898

my contract is coming up soon, I’m going to make it a condition of a new 2 year contract.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

buckycat
Leader

I brought it up a while ago and was told by a moderator here new customers only.

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Optik-TV/Cloud-pvr-New-Customer-Only/td-p/133898

my contract is coming up soon, I’m going to make it a condition of a new 2 year contract.

giantbrownguy
Rockstar
Missed your post but that does suck. I get prioritizing sign ups into new customers but there should be a clear upgrade path to for those of us that have been asking for this. Especially since it was posted here as well.

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

As mentioned - the new equipment is only a week old and is currently for new customers only. Details about upgrades will be shared here as they become available. Sorry I don't have more to share. 

giantbrownguy
Rockstar

@KHR @dru @A-B I was looking at the Telus website and noticed that it talks about being able to use an Apple TV or other streaming device. Does that mean we can have Optik (and cloud recording) independent of the new box, or do you need the box to set up the service?

from this thread

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Optik-TV/Cloud-PVR-equipment/m-p/134233#M10507
It's up to the individual on how they want to be set up. You could have 2 Sony TVs, 2 Apple TVs, 2 TELUS TV Digital Boxes etc. or any combination thereof. Certain functionality is only available on the set-top box (universal search across multiple apps, for example), but all recordings are cloud-based, so equipment can be optional. I believe 1 set-top box is included for most Optik TV combos, but it depends on your exact combo, whether you're on a service agreement, etc.  

Hi @giantbrownguy 

Everyone can use the TELUS TV+ app on Apple TV, Android TV devices etc. to access their Optik subscription. However, the ability to watch your recordings depends on your Optik combo, and this is somewhat connected to the box you (may) have. It is really based on the back-end TV platform your combo and equipment is linked to. 

If you have an Optik HD/4K PVR and/or 4K/HD Wireless set-top boxes, you cannot watch recordings on Apple TV etc. as the legacy platform does not support cloud recordings.

If you have a TELUS TV Digital Box (and the appropriate combo), you can watch recordings on Apple TV etc. as the new platform does support cloud recordings.

@KHR Thanks for the reply. That’s what I figured but thought I’d ask.