Universal remotes compatible with optik TV?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Connector

So I am looking for a universal remote that works with the Optik TV boxes. I tried one universal remote from Sony that controls just a TV and set top box, which worked with his Panasonic TV, but it did not work even with the Scientific Atlanta codes. Does anyone know about a remote that would work with Optik TV set top boxes?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

None of the old school universal remotes will work. One that will is the Logitech Harmony remote series. Those control nearly anything but can be a little pricey. The basic one runs about $80.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum
Highlighted
Advisor

Beware of Harmony remotes.  The durability is poor.  After my fifth one bit the dust, I said no more.  The problem appears to be in the buttons.  After a while the metal dome loses its springiness, and the coating on the membrane buttons wears off. No problem with a cheap remote, but when paying $150 you get a little peeved. 

The concept is brilliant, using the internet to connect to a database containing almost every known device. Its just the execution is lacking.  For my son I tried a competing brand Philips, but it was no where near as easy to program.

Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

To clarify... which Harmony models do you have?  My Harmony are still going strong after 5+ years.

The only problem I've had with previous remotes is keeping them away from food and drinks.

Highlighted
Advisor

Harmony 670 (x3) and 688. Both were at the time entry level, but in recent years would be considered mid level. The 688 appears to be produced by Harmony itself before Logitech bought them. From what I've read, the quality went up a bit when that happened. The 670 was produced by Logitech. But after 3 where odd well used buttons fail, I've decided to just use the Optik remote

Highlighted
Connector

my harmony remotes have lasted years, have been using a harmony or 2 for almost 10yrs, and i have had to replace remotes twice. They can pretty much control anything and setup on your pc makes it super easy

Highlighted
Advisor

I guess everybody's mileage varies...