TV bundle with just theme packs (i.e. don't need essentials)

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

xxmk
Resident

Hi,

Does anyone know if I can get the TV bundle with just my choices of theme packs? I rarely watch the channels on the essentials and would like to save a few $$$ by removing it from my bundle. Or if not to save $$$, at least replace it with channels that I actually would prefer to watch.

Thanks!

Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

The CRTC has it that the local / Canadian / essential channels are a requirement. No way around that at present.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Exhile
Ambassador

How does a customer switch to the "Lite" basic combo package for $22/month instead of the "Essentials" package for $38/month?

xxmk
Resident

I think you can only do it by contacting customer service or going to an actual Telus store. Online you can only manage the theme packs and/or additional channels. If you don't own your PVR though its not worth changing from essentials to lite. The rental for PVR is $15 per month so that's gonna be $22 + $15 per month... basically $1 less than essentials.

Exhile
Ambassador

I don't have the PVR but I guess I'm stuck with "Essentials" then since I'm renting 2 wireless HD boxes. Thanks for the input!

Xerise
Neighbour

The Lite package may only cost $22 (bundled) a month, but there are no service fees waived, no free equipment rental, no promo pricing. So the $15 PVR rental a month and $5 a month per wireless digital box adds up quick. The $100 install fee isn't great either. Essentials with just a couple theme packs, movie packs and/or individual channels isn't too bad. Especially since there are some good options on a 2 year agreement (like the free 4k tv) though some require a higher monthly cost. I believe the CRTC requires that providers have a completely basic Tv package which is why lite is available even though most people never use it.

To save a few dollars a month I'd recommend calling Telus and see if they have any promos or specials for just the few packs you want together. They may or may not. We definitely do not use 6 theme packs. Only two and HBO combo Smiley LOL

Exhile
Ambassador

A couple of months back I tried to switch to the "Lite" package but the customer service rep instead gave me a $10 discount every month for 6 months. It's as if she didn't want me to switch to the "Lite" package. The $10/month discount is going to end soon and I'm planning to call Telus to switch my plan to "Lite". I'm willing to pay the wireless HD box monthly rental fee if the bottom line is a lower monthly cost. I don't see how Telus is giving customers the choice to choose the package they want if Telus preventing it from happening. Is Telus trying to forge the stats to the CRTC that their customers aren't choosing the "Lite" package or does the $22/month not cover the basic costs of a customer's Optik TV setup? I'm just speculating but if a service is offered, a customer should be able to choose that service.