cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TELUS estimates Netflix HD streaming data rate at 3GB/h double what Netflix indicates?

broadbentr
Organizer

TELUS indicates that Netflix HD will consume approx 3GB per hour on this page.  That seems about twice what it should be.  

Netflix indicates TELUS DSL to be about 3.38Mbps for HD.  So 3.38Mbs x 3600s/hour = 1.52GB per hour.

I haven't checked my own actual rate, so will have to see, but 3GB/h seems high for estimating what your Netflix data usage should be.

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

It's likely just an estimate. You can easily adjust the video quality on Netflix's site anyways.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

broadbentr
Organizer

So I found on Netflix the "example short" that indicates the actual data rate.  With 1080p it indicates that I am receiving 5888kbps, which works out to about 2.5GB/h.  So TELUS estimate of 3GB/h is about right, assuming that you have selected the 1080p option on you Netflix account.  Mine had defaulted to 720p, which would result in about 1.5 GB/h.