Surround sound in Netflix app

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

D18
Connector

When will the Netflix app support Dolby Digital 5.1?

Most Helpful
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @D18, I agree that Dolby Digital 5.1 sound is pretty awesome. This is something we are currently looking at. Unfortunately, we do not have any dates for now. Rest assure that this is something we'll share once made available. Stay tuned.

weird_dude84
Resident

Is there an update here? It's great that we can access Netflix on a Telus app but why wouldn't high quality audio be a standard when the app was launched?

D18
Connector

Given that it's been over 4 months now I agree its taking far too long. I don't know what the issue can be.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Could be for any number of reasons. Take your pick:

- The shows themselves are not recorded or available in surround sound

- Netflix itself may have issues. Like late last year when it pulled surround sound from Samsung smart TVs and Bluray players because it just wasn't working.

- Hardware limitations - as in does the device support surround sound or do you have a receiver that actually supports it correctly.
- Software limitations

Since I don't have a receiver, when you guys are watching a title that actually has 5.1 sound, when you go into sound / subtitle options what choices do you see? (assuming you have something connected that properly does 5.1 that is not your TV)

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
weird_dude84
Resident
No
None of that is correct. The high quality DD audio in 5.1 typically
available on netflix is disabled by Telus. I assume in an effort to reduce
the bandwidth used by the Netflix app on the Telus network...
Community Power User
Community Power User

Hardware or software limitations cover a huge range of issues. They are correct assumptions as a result.

Bandwidth will not be the issue. Audio can be easily compressed and uses much less data than a HD video stream. That and the Netflix app is currently capped at 720p.

Changes to apps on Optik TV boxes will take time. I'd assume you'd rather have 1080p video to go with your 5.1, yes? That will add more time, and a lot of testing before it's all released to the public. Estimate a couple months minimum for that process based on previous update cycles for STB apps.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
xjeepguy
Connector

Watched a couple movies on Netflix via Optik last night . You have to crank the audio 75% to hear the voices then crank it back down when effects come on LOL . I'd be happy with 720 and good audio .

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Netflix in general has low volumes on any device I use. Phone/Tablet/Optik/Roku.

D18
Connector

Not sure why this thread is marked as resolved. Last time I checked 5.1 was still not supported.

It would be helpful if we knew what to expect in so far as a timeline is concerned.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus doesn't give time lines, or software release schedules. They just release things when ready. "surprise".

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
D18
Connector

OK, it's been a full year now and still no support. Please be blunt. If this is not going to happen just say so and I'll quit following up.

I can get DD 5.1 by logging on to Netflicks on my Samsung Blu-Ray DVD player but it would be much more convenient if I could do it on the Optik box.

RyDawg
Connector
Has this finally been fixed yet? I've been trying to find out if telus has finally added 5.1 surround to the Netflix app but I haven't had any luck getting info.