Strange Restart on Optik, anyone seen this?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

giantbrownguy
Ambassador

So I was watching a recorded program today, using my set top box (not the PVR). Part way through my show, the device suddenly cut out, and I lost my tv signal. A restart of my two boxes and the modem solved the issue, but was strange was, with the PVR a, the device showed a couple of other screens before restarting. First was a screen with a gear icon, and a "loading" bar at the bottom. Once that cycle completed, it showed a "two gear" icon screen and another loading bar. Once it went through those it completed the restart. My PVR is in my office and after I had set it to restart, without turning on the TV, I went back to my main TV to await the reload. It was only when it couldn't connect to the PVR a while still offering a signal that I went back upstairs and saw the first gear icon, thus I don't know if there was anything else on the screen. I have had prior need to restart my box, but this is the first time I've ever seen this. Does anyone have any idea what this was about? Is my box on the verge of death or was it just some one off? In case anyone needs to know, my boxes are connected by CAT-5e, previously installed by Telus and I've had to have my modem replaced once. 

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Most Helpful
vishwa
Ambassador

Everything looks right in your system.  Currently, I don't have an explanation.  If I think of something I will update here.  My guess is that you can ignore it as a one time quirk unless it happens again.  Good luck.

View solution in original post

All Replies
vishwa
Ambassador

Is it possible that you just got the latest media room update? There may be other reasons too.  As all these appliances are embedded computers, I have made it a habit of restarting them periodically.  In my hd boxes(not pvr) I can see that after several days it acts up and clears once I restart them.  So, I just restart them every now and then to avoid them doing something in the middle of watching.  I haven't experienced what you described here but during the update or a factory reset it goes through those 3 dots followed by the gear icons.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The single gear usually means its downloading new software and the double gear is when it installs it. Typically the box should do that when it's not in use unless physically reset in a specific way. Whatever you do don't unplug the box if it has gears as it will corrupt the download/install and can brick the box. If you see a Red X on the screen it's typically toast.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

To clarify... what time on Saturday did this restart occur?

giantbrownguy
Ambassador

@vishwa I am running v. 2.4.29711.820, which I thought was the version that was pushed two months ago? I also usually try to reboot, but since I returned to Telus a few months ago, I haven't. I have previously seen the 3 dots to gear, but I don't think this was it. Unfortunately, my PVR is in my office and not on my main TV. When I restarted the PVR, I didn't turn the TV on. I restarted it, went downstairs and restarted the other box. When the other one came on, I figured the PVR would be done, but after a couple of minutes, when the PVR was still not accessible, I went up to check and it was doing the gear thing.

@Nighthawk That's what I figured, vis-á-vis software update. I just panicked because it was happening in the middle of the day, while I was watching a show. I've never actually seen it occur before. 

@xl Around 1pm.

Thanks for the input guys.

Most Helpful
vishwa
Ambassador

Everything looks right in your system.  Currently, I don't have an explanation.  If I think of something I will update here.  My guess is that you can ignore it as a one time quirk unless it happens again.  Good luck.

View solution in original post

giantbrownguy
Ambassador

Thanks @vishwa. That's about what I figured, and it didn't seem worth waiting on the phone for tech support.