cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Series Recordings not Recording All

Treky
Organizer
Hello;

I've been trying to record the Star Trek series on KVOS(ch#141). For some strange reason, my pvr will not record the entire series but will leave out an episode.

I've tried various recording settings and changing the Series Priority but to no avail.

Oddly enough this only occurs on KVOS and not the other channels with no conflicts.

Also, a Telus rep on the chat suggested leaving the pvr switched 'on'; however, this doesn't make any difference.

Any suggestions?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have had quite a few problems with recording a series where one or more do did not record when they should have. I spoke to Telus service about this and they said it was probably my PVR box. However, when he suggested they would replace the PVR box, I asked more questions regarding how the service actually worked. He couldn't answer the questions and left me on hold  while he made further inquiries.  While I was on hold for about 7 or 8 minutes, I started mucking about with different combinations for recording my programs and I discovered several things:

1. I believe that  there is a software problem (gremlin) within the OptikTV service in respect  of how the box sets up recordings for a series (see below).

2. Although I am very satisfied overall on the OptikTV service, there is one thing in particular I liked about the  Bell ExtressVu service which is the way ExpressVu displays conflicts and how easy it is to manage conflicts. In ExpressVu, it shows you specifically what programs are conflicting and allows you to resolve the conflict. In OptikTV, all you get is a long list of all programs you have set up to record but it doesn't actually show the date and time of the conflict and the actual names of the conflicting programs. So even if there was a conflict, it would be a nightmare to figure out it out when you have 20 or more series set up (Our family has 46) But I have  digressed.

In any event, after experimenting, I identified program "A" which was set up to record the series but the Schedule did not display that it was going to record the next one or two episodes. I then did a search again for the program and found that there were in fact one or two new episodes coming up in the next week or two. So the "timer" was completely ignoring the forthcoming new episodes. The problem seems to be using the "Any day, Any time" or "Any day, Any time, Once per day" feature. It appears that the software for OptikTV doesn't always handle discretion very well when it comes properly scheduling a series when the "Any day, Any time" or "Any day, Any time, Once per day" feature has been selected. And even if there can't be a conflict because there are either no programs, one program or two programs set to record (meaning there is at least one available spot for recording),  OptikTV can sometimes overlook  the new episode(s).

THE WORKAROUND

(I have presumed that you are fairly familiar with navigating through the OptikTV menus - if not, refer to the OptikTV manual):

1. Delete the existing timer for the series that isn't recording the episodes correctly.

2. Search for the name of  the series you want to record.

3. Locate the first new episode of the program you want to record.

3. Select to "Record Episode" - whatever you do, do not select "Record Series".

4. Go to Recordings - Scheduled and verify that it is set up to record the program you wanted on the correct time and date. Assuming that it is set to record, highlight the program and press "ok". In the new menu, select "Record Series". A new menu will appear that will allow you to made changes to time, Show type, Stop recording and Save. NEVER change the time - leave it set for  "Any day, around <time of day that you originally selected>. You can change the Show Type to "First run". You can verify that the new episodes are going to record by either: going to Recordings-Scheduled-Series and looking at the counter at the top of screen to see how many episodes are set to record or you can simply scroll though the Recordings-Scheduled menu to verify the day and time that it is selected to record.

VERY IMPORTANT: If you change the Time to "Any day, Any time" or "Any day, Any time, Once per day" , then it will no longer find the new episodes even though it had  scheduled them when the "Any day, around <time of day that you originally selected> had been selected and saved before. And resetting the selection back to "Any day, around <time of day that you originally selected>" won't fix the problem - the damage has already been done. You will have to start all over at instruction 1 above.

DOWNSIDE TO WORKAROUND:

You will have to manually change the record day and time setting for a series if the network decides to reschedule its programming to a different time.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Treky
Organizer

I have had quite a few problems with recording a series where one or more do did not record when they should have. I spoke to Telus service about this and they said it was probably my PVR box. However, when he suggested they would replace the PVR box, I asked more questions regarding how the service actually worked. He couldn't answer the questions and left me on hold  while he made further inquiries.  While I was on hold for about 7 or 8 minutes, I started mucking about with different combinations for recording my programs and I discovered several things:

1. I believe that  there is a software problem (gremlin) within the OptikTV service in respect  of how the box sets up recordings for a series (see below).

2. Although I am very satisfied overall on the OptikTV service, there is one thing in particular I liked about the  Bell ExtressVu service which is the way ExpressVu displays conflicts and how easy it is to manage conflicts. In ExpressVu, it shows you specifically what programs are conflicting and allows you to resolve the conflict. In OptikTV, all you get is a long list of all programs you have set up to record but it doesn't actually show the date and time of the conflict and the actual names of the conflicting programs. So even if there was a conflict, it would be a nightmare to figure out it out when you have 20 or more series set up (Our family has 46) But I have  digressed.

In any event, after experimenting, I identified program "A" which was set up to record the series but the Schedule did not display that it was going to record the next one or two episodes. I then did a search again for the program and found that there were in fact one or two new episodes coming up in the next week or two. So the "timer" was completely ignoring the forthcoming new episodes. The problem seems to be using the "Any day, Any time" or "Any day, Any time, Once per day" feature. It appears that the software for OptikTV doesn't always handle discretion very well when it comes properly scheduling a series when the "Any day, Any time" or "Any day, Any time, Once per day" feature has been selected. And even if there can't be a conflict because there are either no programs, one program or two programs set to record (meaning there is at least one available spot for recording),  OptikTV can sometimes overlook  the new episode(s).

THE WORKAROUND

(I have presumed that you are fairly familiar with navigating through the OptikTV menus - if not, refer to the OptikTV manual):

1. Delete the existing timer for the series that isn't recording the episodes correctly.

2. Search for the name of  the series you want to record.

3. Locate the first new episode of the program you want to record.

3. Select to "Record Episode" - whatever you do, do not select "Record Series".

4. Go to Recordings - Scheduled and verify that it is set up to record the program you wanted on the correct time and date. Assuming that it is set to record, highlight the program and press "ok". In the new menu, select "Record Series". A new menu will appear that will allow you to made changes to time, Show type, Stop recording and Save. NEVER change the time - leave it set for  "Any day, around <time of day that you originally selected>. You can change the Show Type to "First run". You can verify that the new episodes are going to record by either: going to Recordings-Scheduled-Series and looking at the counter at the top of screen to see how many episodes are set to record or you can simply scroll though the Recordings-Scheduled menu to verify the day and time that it is selected to record.

VERY IMPORTANT: If you change the Time to "Any day, Any time" or "Any day, Any time, Once per day" , then it will no longer find the new episodes even though it had  scheduled them when the "Any day, around <time of day that you originally selected> had been selected and saved before. And resetting the selection back to "Any day, around <time of day that you originally selected>" won't fix the problem - the damage has already been done. You will have to start all over at instruction 1 above.

DOWNSIDE TO WORKAROUND:

You will have to manually change the record day and time setting for a series if the network decides to reschedule its programming to a different time.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Sometimes the listing does not exactly match in all episodes. This causes the search to fail to find the future episodes. Only option I can figure is to confirm your selection regularly. There also may be an issue with 'new' episodes not recording if they are thought to have been previously recorded.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Treky
Organizer
Ok, thank you NFtoBC.

Just one thing though. Regarding your latter suggestion, is there anything that I could do about the pvr thinking that an episode had been previously recorded and will not record as a result?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@OptikUser3000

WOW!! Thanks for sharing the discoveries and workaround solutions.

NFtoBC

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The PVR can also miss new episodes if the show has the wrong date in the guide, or the date is missing altogether like on some NatGeo channel shows.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂