Relocating Optik tv to a different room

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

bbc0
Just Moved In

When I had Optik installed I picked the rooms that I wanted TV in.  Since then I have decided that I would prefer to have it in a different room.  

1. Can I simply move the box to the other bedroom and hook it up to the cable outlet?

2. At the location it is now, it's close to the internet modem/router and conected to it with an ethernet cable.  The other two boxes are connected using the cable input.  Will any set-up be required?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions
Most Helpful
Hippo
Leader

If you are planning on moving the boxes to a different room and now require the cable outlet to the connect the digital box, you would need to contact customer service at 310-2255 to setup an appointment to have a tech go out and change the configuration. If those cables outlets were not originally setup by the tech during the intial install, they will not work. There is a charge for this setup change. You can also inquire about wireless digital boxes, that is a great idea if you plan to move your TVs around in the future. 🙂

View solution in original post

All Replies
xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I'm grateful Telus offers wireless cable boxes as an option.  You might want to investigate this for you.  All you need is a 120v outlet wherever you want to put the TV.  I can take the TV from the bedroom, kitchen, laundry and bathroom with ease.  Really handy watching live Sochi coverage.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I find the TV a bit big in the bathroom. An iPad is much more managable there.

And so much more personal.......

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I get creeped out with that iPad camera in the bathroom.  iPads cannot display recorded PVR content, only live Optik on the Go. iPads have weak speakers when the laundry machine is on.

22" or smaller TV's are perfect to be taken from room to room.

Most Helpful
Hippo
Leader

If you are planning on moving the boxes to a different room and now require the cable outlet to the connect the digital box, you would need to contact customer service at 310-2255 to setup an appointment to have a tech go out and change the configuration. If those cables outlets were not originally setup by the tech during the intial install, they will not work. There is a charge for this setup change. You can also inquire about wireless digital boxes, that is a great idea if you plan to move your TVs around in the future. 🙂

View solution in original post

mlr36
Just Moved In

sammysjeep
Good Samaritan

What is the charge for this type of relocation? I have 2 jacks in the same room, had the tech set it up a year ago and now want to move the tv to the other side of the room which would require using the other jack.  Won't reorganize my room if the charge is too steep. Even a ballpark price/range would be helpful.THANKS!

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If both jacks are already connected, there would be no charge. If the other jack is ready to connect & just needs to be plugged in to your gateway, it is  do-it-yourself task, also free. If new wiring needs to be run to connect the jack to your gateway, then it is often cheaper to hire a local electrician than have Telus make the change. Once the jack is live, you can just move the PVR yourself.

NFtoBC
xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Another example why I like wireless cable boxes.

sammysjeep
Good Samaritan

Thanks.  It appears that the jack is live.  I unplugged the cord from the CAT5 wall connection and moved it across the room to test jack on the other side of the room.  My internet/wifi remained active but I lost the TV signal. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Cat5? Not a phone jack? I wonder if your TV was connected to the other end of that Cat5 line.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
sammysjeep
Good Samaritan

I am positive that the label on the (working) wall jack says CAT5 (I will double check that tonight when I get home from work). 

I unplugged that ONE cord from the current/working jack and put it into the identically labelled CAT5 jack on the other side of the room.  The modem/wifi came back up but the tv screen came up with the telus trouble shoot screen telling me signal lost.

I don't have telus phone in my place.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you have Fibre Optic there should be a white ONT box near your electrical panel / utility entry which converts the fibre signal to ethernet. From there a single ethernet cable would have led to your gateway (modem), which serves internet & TV to your other devices, including your computer & your PVR. The PVR decodes an internet delivered signal to a HDMI TV readable signal.

Usually connections are:

ONT 

V

Gateway

V         V                         V

PVR, TV Wireless, and computer

If you are served by copper then there could be multiple (CAT 5) endpoints, as many lines could be joined at the termination point. Usually these all receive the same signal. Once connected to the gateway, behaviour is as above.

Do you have any way to determine the other end of 'the jack across the room'? It is strange that you receive TV and internet at the current jack, but only internet at the other jack, as all are served through the same infrastructure, and split at the gateway.  Also, is there more than one Cat5 jack by the original connection?

Come back and let us know what you learn, and we'll do our best to help you resolve this.

ONT image in this thread: http://forum.telus.com/thread/56669/category/home-services/board/internet-tv-&-home-phone/what-s-tel...

NFtoBC
sammysjeep
Good Samaritan

I have one white box from that pic/thread you posted.  

sammysjeep
Good Samaritan

There appears to be a few "blue" cords in my utility/electrical panel.   One is connected to a tiny little white connector(?) box.the other ends are cut off.  Could one of those possibly be connected to the jack on the other side of the room? Therefore requiring them to be cut and an end placed on so it can connect to the little white box where the current one is attached. 

sammysjeep
Good Samaritan

trying to attach a photo of what the utility panel shows.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

A photo would help!

Sammysjeep said: "I unplugged that ONE cord from the current/working jack and put it into the identically labelled CAT5 jack on the other side of the room. "

I am assuming 'that ONE cord' connects the wall jack to your gateway. If it connects only to your PVR, then you will likely need to find which of the other cables in your cabinet goes to the other side of the room.

NFtoBC
sammysjeep
Good Samaritan

photo won't upload...

sammysjeep
Good Samaritan

I appreciate your help/suggestions, I just don't know how to make it work. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I can't upload a photo either  😞

Is the Ethernet cable you unplugged from the wall connected to your Gateway or your PVR?

NFtoBC
sammysjeep
Good Samaritan

cord is plugged into the wall and then to the "modem" - is that the gateway?  then the gateway is connected to the PVR box.  TV is connected to the PVR.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

And when you move that cord and plug it into the Cat5 jack on the other wall,  the internet still works, but not the TV?

NFtoBC
sammysjeep
Good Samaritan

correct!

I unplug the cord and I lose my wifi on my phone and ipad and when I plug the cord into the other side of the room - the wifi comes back on my phone and ipad - with my connection (not a neighbours).

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Weird. The TV should come back as well, though it might take a few minutes to reboot. Have you unplugged and restarted the PVR after switching the cord?

EDIT: Or none of your services should work (dead jack).  Weird!

NFtoBC
sammysjeep
Good Samaritan

when I switch the jacks - I don't get as many lights to come back on to the modem/gateway that I had from the original jack.

originally I have the top POWER light.  then the Internet  and ethernet (wan/lan)  plus ethernet1.   and the bottom wireless light. 

I move jacks and only power, ethernet1 and wireless lights up. 

I have now moved the jack - and powered down the PVR box - power light blinked for about a minute now it says "your optik tv digital box is initializing, this will only take a moment."

but I still don't have all the lights back on the gateway.

WAIT A SECOND......that jack could be dead afterall....i've moved it and seem to have lost my wifi on my phone and ipad - EVEN THOUGH it shows it is still connected. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Sammysjeep said: "I move jacks and only power, ethernet1 and wireless lights up. "

A-HA!  (light bulb appears!)

- Power light would light because of the power connection of the gateway to the wall wart (transformer)

- Ethernet 1 would light due to the device connected to that port being powered on

- Wireless is internal to the gateway, so that would light. You can be connected to the wireless port on your gateway from a Wi-Fi enabled device just fine, but still not be connected to the internet.  You have the first hop (to the gateway) but not the second (to the internet).

- WAN/LAN would not light if no signal from the 'outside' i.e. to the wire connected to the WAN port

- Internet will light once the gateway has negotiated an IP address from the Telus server.

Based on your troubleshooting, it would seem the jack is indeed not connected, and you could get a computer network guy/gal to place plugs on the end of the ethernet cables in your utility cabinet, connect the correct one to your ONT, and you'll be on your way. Should take about an hour to confirm the wiring pattern used on the wall jacks (there are two standards) and set the other ends to match. The cables can be labeled as to which room each goes to at the same time.

Any small computer services provider offering house calls should be able to do this for you at a reasonable hourly rate.

For your interest, here is some info on the wiring process. If I recall, Telus uses the T568B protocol.

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html

http://www.incentre.net/tech-support/other-support/ethernet-cable-color-coding-diagram/

NFtoBC
sammysjeep
Good Samaritan

light bulbs are always good.  Thanks again for your help - I will find someone.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You're welcome!  I'm happy we finally figured it out.

NFtoBC