cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocating Optik tv to a different room

bbc0
Just Moved In

When I had Optik installed I picked the rooms that I wanted TV in.  Since then I have decided that I would prefer to have it in a different room.  

1. Can I simply move the box to the other bedroom and hook it up to the cable outlet?

2. At the location it is now, it's close to the internet modem/router and conected to it with an ethernet cable.  The other two boxes are connected using the cable input.  Will any set-up be required?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hippo
Leader

If you are planning on moving the boxes to a different room and now require the cable outlet to the connect the digital box, you would need to contact customer service at 310-2255 to setup an appointment to have a tech go out and change the configuration. If those cables outlets were not originally setup by the tech during the intial install, they will not work. There is a charge for this setup change. You can also inquire about wireless digital boxes, that is a great idea if you plan to move your TVs around in the future. 🙂

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

And when you move that cord and plug it into the Cat5 jack on the other wall,  the internet still works, but not the TV?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

sammysjeep
Helpful Neighbour

correct!

I unplug the cord and I lose my wifi on my phone and ipad and when I plug the cord into the other side of the room - the wifi comes back on my phone and ipad - with my connection (not a neighbours).

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Weird. The TV should come back as well, though it might take a few minutes to reboot. Have you unplugged and restarted the PVR after switching the cord?

EDIT: Or none of your services should work (dead jack).  Weird!

NFtoBC

sammysjeep
Helpful Neighbour

when I switch the jacks - I don't get as many lights to come back on to the modem/gateway that I had from the original jack.

originally I have the top POWER light.  then the Internet  and ethernet (wan/lan)  plus ethernet1.   and the bottom wireless light. 

I move jacks and only power, ethernet1 and wireless lights up. 

I have now moved the jack - and powered down the PVR box - power light blinked for about a minute now it says "your optik tv digital box is initializing, this will only take a moment."

but I still don't have all the lights back on the gateway.

WAIT A SECOND......that jack could be dead afterall....i've moved it and seem to have lost my wifi on my phone and ipad - EVEN THOUGH it shows it is still connected. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Sammysjeep said: "I move jacks and only power, ethernet1 and wireless lights up. "

A-HA!  (light bulb appears!)

- Power light would light because of the power connection of the gateway to the wall wart (transformer)

- Ethernet 1 would light due to the device connected to that port being powered on

- Wireless is internal to the gateway, so that would light. You can be connected to the wireless port on your gateway from a Wi-Fi enabled device just fine, but still not be connected to the internet.  You have the first hop (to the gateway) but not the second (to the internet).

- WAN/LAN would not light if no signal from the 'outside' i.e. to the wire connected to the WAN port

- Internet will light once the gateway has negotiated an IP address from the Telus server.

Based on your troubleshooting, it would seem the jack is indeed not connected, and you could get a computer network guy/gal to place plugs on the end of the ethernet cables in your utility cabinet, connect the correct one to your ONT, and you'll be on your way. Should take about an hour to confirm the wiring pattern used on the wall jacks (there are two standards) and set the other ends to match. The cables can be labeled as to which room each goes to at the same time.

Any small computer services provider offering house calls should be able to do this for you at a reasonable hourly rate.

For your interest, here is some info on the wiring process. If I recall, Telus uses the T568B protocol.

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html

http://www.incentre.net/tech-support/other-support/ethernet-cable-color-coding-diagram/

NFtoBC

sammysjeep
Helpful Neighbour

light bulbs are always good.  Thanks again for your help - I will find someone.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You're welcome!  I'm happy we finally figured it out.

NFtoBC