cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pvr recording

DianneB
Neighbour

I am just new to Telus a Optik Tv and can't record and watch a different program on the same tv without turning off the digital box for the other tv.  It says all tv streams are in use.  I can only watch the program I am recording.  Any help?  Am I doing something wrong?

5 REPLIES 5

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Normally you can record and watch a few things at once but it is dependent on your connection speed and how Optik is configured from Telus' end.

On any of your set top boxes, try the following:

1. Press Menu on the remote.
  2. Choose Settings, then General.
  3. Choose System Information
  4. Scroll right once to Stream Profiles.

What does it say on that screen? Also what speed is your internet connection?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

It says acct. profile streams HD + so bandwidth 13080000bps
PVR recording profile streams 1HD +2 Ed bandwidth 11540000 bps
PVR playback profile streams 1 so + 2 HD

I have a brother who has the same package and he can record lots and on both his tvs.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

1HD + 2SD means you can only watch or record a single HD stream and you're left with two standard definition streams. If your internet speed is fast enough Telus should be able to increase that. Give them a call and have them check. I'm on 4HD currently. Some out there can even get 5HD if their available speed is high enough.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

So that means if I am recording an HD show I can only watch an SD show on the same tv if my other tv has the hockey game on. My speed test app says my download speed is between 11 and 12 mbs and my upload is around .80

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

In another post it was indicated that each HD stream consumes about 4 Mbps, and Telus usually provisions to allow some overhead for Internet use simultaneously with TV viewing. Thus, although 12 Mbps would allow 3 HD streams (barely) there are instances where use of the TV and /or Internet would be compromised.  I assume you are on copper, not Fibre. Do you have an option to select a higher speed service?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"