Pixellation problems with 4K - incompatible with Apple?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Connector

I had fibre installed a couple of weekends ago and it's been problematic since day 2. I have the internet 150 package, with optic 4k TV.

The problem is that initially, all channels (HD and SD) would pixelate briefly, with loss of sound, every 20s or so. It wasn't consistent, so it would do that one day and not the next, but when it was doing it, it was basically unwatchable. Anyway, so I phoned tech support, and they did a few things at their end, but it didn't make a difference, so they sent a tech around.

The TV is connected to an Optik 4K PVR which is hard wired (via an ethernet switch) to the modem.

MODEM-->SWITCH-->OPTIK 4K PVR
                         |
                         |
       APPLE TIME CAPSULE-->APPLE MAC

The tech spent an hour or so checking the config of the various telus boxes, tested my line, changed some settings and concluded by saying that the problem is my Apple Time Capsule and I really need to remove that from the network, which I wasn't happy about, obviously. But he said with the config changes he made, I should see no further problems, so I said I'd wait and see.

I think the HD and SD pixellation is fixed, so that's good. But viewing any 4K content, there is still pixellation - but he is right, it does seem to be related either to the time capsule, or the mac connected to it. My time capsule has wireless turned off and it is in bridge mode, so it essentially becomes an Ethernet switch with a backup disk built in.

I removed the Time Capsule from the setup and there is still pixellation on the TV. I put the time capsule back and I notice that when it does a backup of the mac and the PVR is tuned to a 4K channel, it is slooow... like backing up 120MB might take 30 minutes whereas normally something like that would take 30 seconds. Turning to an HD channel, or turning the TV off, backups are fast again.

Not sure what to do from here - it does seem like something in the apple gear is incompatible with the 4K broadcasts!

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Try:

ONT --> Telus GATEWAY/MODEM-->OPTIK 4K PVR
                         |

-->SWITCH
                                   |
                                   -->APPLE TIME CAPSULE

|

-->APPLE MAC

EDIT: if that does not work, set the Time Capsule up as a second router on a separate subnet, and remove the switch.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Alternatively have you tried setting the time capsule to regular router mode instead of bridged? That would keep any data your are trying to back up just between the Mac and the time capsule. Even if you enabled wireless on it while it acts as a router, there shouldn't be a problem.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Connector
Thanks... will give that a go tonight.

Changing the network wiring will be tough, I'd have to run new cable from the garage directly to the tv....yikes

I'll try creating a subnet and see if that works if switching the time capsule from bridge mode doesn't work . Will report back, thanks for your help!
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

You could run Ethernet from the ONT to the Gateway/Modem, moving the modem to the location of the switch. I expect the Ethernet cable is present already.

ONT ---Modem------------------------------------------------------> Switch Modem ------------->TV

|

--> Time Capsule -->Mac

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"