Pixelization and picture freezing - Do I just learn to live with it?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

eetonaee
Friendly Neighbour

I just switched from Shaw to Telus and am surpised at the amount of pixelaization and picture feezing we experience with Optik TV.

It occurs at least once every 10 minutes. All channels, all kinds of programmes.

I have cut off the pwer and reset the sysytem but it doesn't help.

We live in an older condo building in North Vancouver.

Is this normal?

Accepted Solutions
Most Helpful
Koalas
Good Samaritan

Hi! This is definitely not normal but there are factors that can cause this. First, check to see if the type of cable connected from the modem to the Optik TV box. Ensure tightness. Best thing is to unplug all ends for 30 seconds then plug them back in. Then, the type of video cable from modem/wall to the Optik box, are you using HDMI or component? If HDMI, try re-seating the cable ends. This is to get a fresh signal as digital cables tend need to re-synchronize with the devices. If wiring is good, check the number of devices connected to your modem, wired and wireless including Optik TV boxes. Bandwidth can sometimes interfere with your picture quality if one or 2 devices are maximizing the bandwidth. Start rebooting the modem then you proceed with the Optik TV boxes. If all physical troubleshooting has been done, please contact TELUS Support 310-8324 or use chat:  http://www.telus.com/chat to investigate the network side.

View solution in original post

Most Helpful
eetonaee
Friendly Neighbour

Will do when I get home from work.

Installation was just 10 days ago so I would assume that the most up to date cables were used.

We only have two TVs and a wireless connector to the second set,

Most Helpful
eetonaee
Friendly Neighbour

I don't think you should put a check mark and problem solved next to your answer.

I haven't beem able to get rid of the pixeliation and freezing.

Will keep trying but will probably need a service call

Most Helpful
ckbosma
Resident

Apparently you do have to learn to live with it.

We've had this problem for months. A service tech came to our house and blamed "untightened cables" as the problem.

And of course the boxes weren't acting up when he was there so I couldn't prove to him that this was a major issue.

The freezing is a constant issue, and it's worse than ever.

It was deffinately  NOT the cables, i believe there is a major issue in these digital boxes and they have no idea how to fix them.

Good luck trying to reason with the customer service as they treat you like you are stupid, and fight with you when you want compensation for hours of recorded television that is unwatchable.

Once Shaw gets their technology up to date I will gladly be switching back to them.

Most Helpful
kamloopsgirl
Resident

I read elsewhere on a forum page that the tech could use a program to diagnose the problem from a recording of the problem... Did the tech try that, since you say you had a lot of unwatchable programming?

I am currently experiencing the same issue, only all of my recorded tv has been deleted at least from one of my boxes. Will have to check the other. Pixelation happening with both. 

Most Helpful
Vancouverguy
Resident

Hello everyone,  i'm wondering if anyone would know why my picture gets all pixelated and freezes only when my computer is shut off or in sleep mode?  the tv is totally fine if my computer is on

both my tv and computer are plugged in to a hub that telus installed

thanks

All Replies
Most Helpful
Koalas
Good Samaritan

Hi! This is definitely not normal but there are factors that can cause this. First, check to see if the type of cable connected from the modem to the Optik TV box. Ensure tightness. Best thing is to unplug all ends for 30 seconds then plug them back in. Then, the type of video cable from modem/wall to the Optik box, are you using HDMI or component? If HDMI, try re-seating the cable ends. This is to get a fresh signal as digital cables tend need to re-synchronize with the devices. If wiring is good, check the number of devices connected to your modem, wired and wireless including Optik TV boxes. Bandwidth can sometimes interfere with your picture quality if one or 2 devices are maximizing the bandwidth. Start rebooting the modem then you proceed with the Optik TV boxes. If all physical troubleshooting has been done, please contact TELUS Support 310-8324 or use chat:  http://www.telus.com/chat to investigate the network side.

Most Helpful
eetonaee
Friendly Neighbour

Will do when I get home from work.

Installation was just 10 days ago so I would assume that the most up to date cables were used.

We only have two TVs and a wireless connector to the second set,

Most Helpful
eetonaee
Friendly Neighbour

I don't think you should put a check mark and problem solved next to your answer.

I haven't beem able to get rid of the pixeliation and freezing.

Will keep trying but will probably need a service call

Most Helpful
ckbosma
Resident

Apparently you do have to learn to live with it.

We've had this problem for months. A service tech came to our house and blamed "untightened cables" as the problem.

And of course the boxes weren't acting up when he was there so I couldn't prove to him that this was a major issue.

The freezing is a constant issue, and it's worse than ever.

It was deffinately  NOT the cables, i believe there is a major issue in these digital boxes and they have no idea how to fix them.

Good luck trying to reason with the customer service as they treat you like you are stupid, and fight with you when you want compensation for hours of recorded television that is unwatchable.

Once Shaw gets their technology up to date I will gladly be switching back to them.

Most Helpful
kamloopsgirl
Resident

I read elsewhere on a forum page that the tech could use a program to diagnose the problem from a recording of the problem... Did the tech try that, since you say you had a lot of unwatchable programming?

I am currently experiencing the same issue, only all of my recorded tv has been deleted at least from one of my boxes. Will have to check the other. Pixelation happening with both. 

Most Helpful
Vancouverguy
Resident

Hello everyone,  i'm wondering if anyone would know why my picture gets all pixelated and freezes only when my computer is shut off or in sleep mode?  the tv is totally fine if my computer is on

both my tv and computer are plugged in to a hub that telus installed

thanks

kruisey
Advisor

Someone put a tick on mine when I was still having problems.

I feel it is up to the customer to tick this off after problem has been solved.

Wardzoo
Resident
We switched from shaw to telus less than 10 days ago - we have had two technicians to the house - not only does the TV and internet pixelize and freeze, but it's worse when the phone rings. I timed it tonight. 9:10 pm to 9:43 pm - no signal, then from 10:10 to 10:43 pm no signal. Its coming up on 11:10 - if it goes - i swear i will switch back to shaw!!!!
quatre_156
Resident
Living in Alberta. Have had to live with freezing screens and internet drops for about a year now. Stuck in a contract though. Telus has let me down repetitively over the last year. Between their worse than poor Optik tv, their internet that resets twice every twenty minutes, the lack of service on my mobile phone, handing my home phone number out to advertisers, and their deplorable customer service. I will NEVER recommend Telus anything to anyone.
nasty
Rockstar

Telus only supports using composite/component cable(3 cables) from the Optik box to the TV.

HDMI cables have issues with the handshake(negotiate connection) and cause issues of screaming of "why provide that connector if it don't work!!!?

nasty
Rockstar

@Wardzoo wrote:
We switched from shaw to telus less than 10 days ago - we have had two technicians to the house - not only does the TV and internet pixelize and freeze, but it's worse when the phone rings. I timed it tonight. 9:10 pm to 9:43 pm - no signal, then from 10:10 to 10:43 pm no signal. Its coming up on 11:10 - if it goes - i swear i will switch back to shaw!!!!

Ask Telus support about if your POTS(plain old telphone servie) splitter needs to be replaced. It is the thing that stops phone ringing from affecting the DSL.

The TV support department is supposed to be very quick on fixing TV signal issues, because people scream louder than when their Internet goes out. 

Rebbot the Gateway for now, every time it goes out, until you get the line noise issue fixed.

nasty
Rockstar

@quatre_156 wrote:
Living in Alberta. Have had to live with freezing screens and internet drops for about a year now. Stuck in a contract though. Telus has let me down repetitively over the last year.

Escalate your concerns:

https://www.telus.com/order/contact-us/en/escalates.jsp

kruisey
Advisor

Reply to Nasty.

I honestly cannot believe what you write.

Its not April Fools day that finished midnight April 1st.

nasty
Rockstar

@kruisey wrote:

Reply to Nasty.

I honestly cannot believe what you write.

Its not April Fools day that finished midnight April 1st.

And here I thought it was the one time posters who were constantly fooling with their scream!!! and foot stomping questions.

Technology is a real pain. The iApple generation created a bunch of button pushers who can't be bothered with how their products work.   When I step on the garden hose and water stops coming out, I don't run screaming to call the city and demand they fix my water because it keeps stopping for no reason.

kruisey
Advisor

Telus fixed my problem with pixelization and freezing.

I am still using HDMI.

They would not leave customers for a year with this problem

End of chat with me ..

nasty
Rockstar

@kruisey wrote:

Telus fixed my problem with pixelization and freezing.

I am still using HDMI.

They would not leave customers for a year with this problem

Any word on what the exact fix was? Optik box software/firmware update(HDMI related) or a quality of service(QOS) change at Telus for your line?

Amorphous
Neighbour

Hi,

I have a solution for your problem!! I figured it out as ours was doing the same.

What is happening is you likely have "wake on LAN" feature enabled on your computer. When your computer is off or in stand by your Ethernet cable still attempts to listen to the network and for some reason this interferes with this process.

You will need to go into your device manager, then go to your network adapters and choose your correct ethernet card, right click and choose properties. Under properties choose power management. Under power management you should see an option to allow the device to "wake the computer" disable that. Then still under properties go to advanced . You want to scan the property tab and look for these things (you may not have all of them):
WakeOnLAN From Poweroff

Wake on Magic Packet

and the wake patterns one

Set them all to disable under the value box.

Shut down your computer and you will have solved the problem!

Hope this helps!

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

WakeOnLAN will have no effect on the Optik boxes. I have multiple computers with it enabled and never had an issue with pixelation related to that. If a device is LISTENING for specific packets to be received, and the packets in question are a fraction of 1kb in size, it's not broadcasting anything. Even if somehow the PC broadcasted massive spikes of data that saturate the connection it wouldn't interfere with Optik. You'd need a constant, sustained stream of data maxing out the connection past what the QoS will restrict you to, in order to even encroach on the TV's bandwidth. Even when my connection is maxed out, I never get any pixelation at all and that uses millions of times more data than anything WakeOnLan will ever use.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Amorphous
Neighbour

Hey Nighthawk,

At least for my issue I'm 100% certain that it was the "wake on LAN" that caused my problem. I will explain how I know this but since you seem very knowledgeable about it maybe you can help me understand why it would be the problem since I can't seem to figure it out as what you say is true.

So here is how I know:

the problem started approximately two weeks ago for me. Every time I record a show and try to watch live TV my optik TV would pixelate and freeze to the point that live TV was impossible to watch. It would also do the same to the recording. However, if I watched the recording my programming was fine. Of course, I called Telus and went through every possible thing that could be done without sending out a tech. They decided that it was a faulty outside port and a faulty modem and sent a tech out to assess the problem. The tech came out and ended up replacing my modem, optik box, and my switch (2 computers and the optik tv plug into it). We thought it had reconciled the problem but later that night the problem started to occur again. Now I thought that maybe the cord going from the switch to the optik box might be the problem so I took the cord from my computer (which happens to be a computer I just built approximately two weeks ago when the problem started to occur although I didn't put the two together). Once the cord was no longer hooked to the computer everything worked great. So of course I got another cord I had lying around and hooked it up to the new computer. As soon as this was done the TV started to have the same issue. it was then that I realized that it must be the issue. However, when the computer is on the issue does not exist. I then realized that the "wake on LAN" feature was on so I turned it off with the method that I had previously posted. I have not had a problem since. Therefore I am certain that it is a result of the "wake on LAN" feature. Since I don't ever use the feature I'm not that concerned about it not being on but I am curious as to why that would overload the bandwidth as much as you are. I am thinking that maybe it is a QOS thing as nothing else would make much sense to me.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm suspecting it might your network card in the new PC, or maybe the drivers for it. It's very weird and unusual behaviour for this to happen especially when the PC is off. If the network card is somehow reacting badly to multicast traffic (is what Optik uses and it floods all ports on a switch), then maybe, but I've never heard of that happening before and in theory it shouldn't be possible. With the PC off, the NIC shouldn't be broadcasting anything. The QoS is mainly controlled from outside the house and I can't see that being a factor.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Amorphous
Neighbour

Hey Nighthawk,

Thanks for the feedback. I will attempt to reinstall the drivers etc and see if that rectifies the problem. Thinking back, I was asked by the phone troubleshooter whether I was running a torrent client when I was first talking with him as he said there was a ton of garbage feedback. I am thinking the card is responsible for this garbage feedback since my other computer was shut down at the time. It is a very odd thing. I plan to figure out the problem as I am interested to know what the cause is. I will report back as I'm sure it is a very unusual and interesting case.

AlbertaTVwatcher
Resident

Is there solid answer to this? Tried rebooting boxes and resetting cables to no avail. Lots of pixelation problems and screen freeze ups. Also issues trying to watch recorded PVR shows on the digital boxes, having constant freeze ups. Can only watch them on the PVR itself. Whats the answer? About ready to switch to a different system!

kruisey
Advisor
You could have a faulty TV box .Try getting it replaced Sent from Windows Mail
xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I would take pictures and video of the pixilation.  Then show the tech when he comes to look at your installation. 

vishwa
Ambassador

I have an observation that may help a few people with pixellation.  For a long time I used to get occasional pixellation and when I did it was really bad.  It mostly happened to be on CNN channel and also when I most wanted to watch the program.  I called Telus a few times and each time they asked me to restart the PVR and modem etc and claimed to do something on their side and it seemed to go away, only to come back after a while.  There seemed to be no pattern behind it.

Very recently, I accidentally found out what was causing it in my household as I can reproduce it on any channel just about any time.  In my place we have a PVR and an STB connected to actiontec T2200H by ethernet and another STB by coax cable(HPNA).  Anytime I have the coax connected STB showing the same channel as the one one either the PVR or on the other STB, there is a lot of pixellation--whether it is CNN or any other Hidef channel. 

I don't have any solution but now that I know, I can avoid it in my place.  I don't imply that this is the reason for pixellation but it sure is one of them that can be reproduced.

Pantera
Connector

You cannot mix coax and ethernet connections. If you do, you'll have pixelation. Unfortunately, Telus is aware of the issue but won't admit it. My house is pre-wired with cat6 ethernet cable. When I initially ordered Optik TV, I told them exactly what I wanted and how I wanted it hooked-up. Telus told me I couldn't have 1 PVR, 3 STB's and also use my own wireless router because there weren't enough ports on the Telus supplied router. They initially insisted I use 2 wireless STB's. I asked them why they couldn't use an Ethernet switch but they said it wouldn't work. The result was major pixelation which Telus couldn't resolve. I then insisted they replace the wireless STB's with normal STB's. After telling me numerous times it couldn't be done, a Telus tech. did it by connecting my PVR with coax and the three STB's via ethernet. The problem was, I had worse pixilation than before. Telus kept trying but they couldn't solve the problem. It always bothered me that my PVR was connected via coax as it (coax) has much lower bandwidth than Ethernet cable. I then read on the AT&T U-Verse web site that you can't mix Ethernet and coax connections. I called Telus and told them to send a tech with a proper Ethernet switch, as it was the only way to connect everything via Ethernet, or take the Optik TV away. In fact, each time I had spoken with Telus reps, I demanded they install an Ethernet switch but each time, they said it wouldn't work. To my surprise, a tech finally appeared with an Ethernet switch! Now, my PVR and three STB's are all connected via CAT6, I'm still using my own wireless router and the pixelation is gone...completely. My question to Telus is: why put me through six months of irritation and many service calls when you could have given me what I wanted on day one?

vishwa
Ambassador

Thanks for that confirmation.  I read somewhere else about this as well.  I have learned to live with it.  In my case, as long as I don't have the same channels tuned in the coax and ethernet connected STBs, it is ok.  It is not easy to run an ethernet cable to my upstairs STB.

Minky
Ambassador

In Edmonton here...I had problems with freezing and called Telus; they eventually sent out a technician to replace the Optic box and at the same time upgraded the Modem to the most current.  Works like a charm now with no freezing.

Art_S
Neighbour
I have been having the same problem.
Several different technicians have been at my place over the course of several years. They have changed cables, modems, boxes.
The problem remains.

Would I recommend Telus?

Most definitely NOT!

I just fired Telus mobility too.