Pausing does not work on first attempt?

rkd2999
Connector

When pausing (either live TV or a recording), pausing does not work initially. Instead you have to press the Pause button a 2nd time. Yes this is a minor annoyance, but it is an annoying bug that has lasted for at least 2 years. I can't remember when Pause worked properly.

Isn't this ever going to be fixed?

xray
Guardian
I noticed that the Play function (same button) has the same behaviour. When I browse my recordings I have to hit Play twice to get it to start half the time.
WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
I haven’t experience this on my arris 4K boxes. Pauses or plays every time on the first try.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
xray
Guardian
I don't think it's a remote problem because I see the light on the remote and the light on the PVR flash when I press the button. I guess it's possible the command being sent is wonky. I should try a different remote.
rkd2999
Connector

I should add that I see the problem with both of my 4K boxes (and both remotes of course). It used to happen on my old HD boxes too. So seems like a system software problem to me, not hardware.

rkd2999
Connector

I should clarify, I’m noticing this problem only the first time I try to use Pause after the box has been turned on. After that it works properly. Then next time the box is off for awhile and then turned on, the problem occurs again. Every single time.

Question, do you power your Arris boxes off while not in use?

I’ve only ever had Cisco and Technicolor boxes (the problem is occurring on both). Frustrating. It’s been around a long time. I hoped it would go away when I had my upstairs box upgraded from Cisco to Technicolor 4K, but nope. Smiley Sad

FuzzyLogic
Rockstar

Just want to add a 'me too'. I have the latest 4K PVR box as well as an older Cisco diskless box and they both have this issue. I've tried various Telus remotes and they all behave the same. The issue has been around awhile but can't say exactly how long.

Wayne777
Neighbour

@FuzzyLogic wrote:

Just want to add a 'me too'. I have the latest 4K PVR box as well as an older Cisco diskless box and they both have this issue. I've tried various Telus remotes and they all behave the same. The issue has been around awhile but can't say exactly how long.

I’m noticing this problem only the first time I try to use Pause after the box has been turned on. After that it works properly. Then next time the box is off for awhile and then turned on, the problem occurs again. Every single time.

Question, do you power your Arris boxes off while not in use?

I’ve only ever had Cisco and Technicolor boxes (the problem is occurring on both).

FuzzyLogic
Rockstar

I always turn off the boxes when not in use. I can't see a pattern myself. I just tried the Cisco and right now it's behaving properly after powering on. I've had problems with it in the past. I can't test the Arris right now but it's the box I used the most and notice the issue the most.

xray
Guardian
The boxes never really turn off. They are always on. If they were actually off you would get No Signal on the TV instead of the Optik screen that says to press Ok to start.
rkd2999
Connector

I tested this again today. I can’t get it to happen reliably with live TV, but I can make it happen consistently with recordings, as follows:

1. Start playing a recording. Let it play for a minute or so. (Wait much longer if you don’t think that is long enough. I’ve tested by waiting 5, 10, 20 minutes; whatever; the bug still happens).

2. Press pause. It doesn’t work!

3. Press pause again, now it works.

4. Switch to live TV.

5. Now go back to Step 1 and test again; the problem happens again.

This bug annoys the heck out of me as I primarily watch recordings instead of live TV.

xray
Guardian

How do you start your recorded program, do you highlight the program, hit OK and then select Play from the menu or do you highlight the program and press the Play button on the remote? I almost always do the latter and I usually have to hit the Play button twice to get it to work.

rkd2999
Connector

I start the recording using the OK button, then highlighting Start (or Start Over, or Resume, depending). I’m not in the habit of just starting it with the Play/Pause button. So I just tested that now. I can’t recreate the problem you are seeing. Play always starts.

But get this, if I use the Play/Pause button to start the recording, then later when I hit the button again to pause, it works first time! Well I can certainly try to get in the habit of using this method instead of using the OK button. This helps me a lot. Yay!

(The bug will still happen when I use the Resume feature, but I don’t use that as often; I generally watch recordings from start to finish).

thanks xray!

rkd2999
Connector
Correction: I should say that I won’t see the problem anymore when using Play/Pause button to Start or Resume a recording, but I will still see it when I need to Start Over a recording, as that requires the use of the OK button, which is what seems to cause my pausing problems. Fortunately I don’t use Start Over very often.

And I still can’t figure out why I sometimes see it on live TV. Might be a buffering problem, though the problem happens even several minutes after viewing live TV, which should be plenty of time for pausing to be functional.
FuzzyLogic
Rockstar

I was watching a recorded show last night on the Arris box and the phone rang. It took me a 1/2 dozen attempts to get the program to pause. Very annoying. I usually navigate to the show and press OK to start it.

rkd2999
Connector
@xray, I’m seeing that behaviour now too (now that I am using the Pause/Play button instead of OK to start playback of recordings). About half the time I have to hit the button twice.