cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pair Remote with STB

jrueger
Ambassador

How do you pair a Slimline 2 Remote with the STB? I've searched and can't find a specific answer. Here is the scenario ... I have two STBs side by side - one for TV service and one for all the music and radio stations connected to my audio system. Each STB has its own remote - but each remote is controlling both STBs - i.e. they are not unique to their "own" STB. So I need to find out how to pair a remote to one and only one STB so that one remote controls STB1 and the other remote controls STB2 ...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

The remotes work infrared and are not designed for STB's to be side by side.

You would have the same problem if you had two TV's of the same make/model side by side.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

The remotes work infrared and are not designed for STB's to be side by side.

You would have the same problem if you had two TV's of the same make/model side by side.

View solution in original post

Ah well I guess I'll have to get out of my comfy chair and manually press power buttons ... 

Even though the Slimline 2 is an IR remote my research seems to indicate that IR remotes are capable of sending a unique prefix before an IR command that would identify and pair the remote with a specific STB. This would be required in any setting where you would expect to find multiple STBs in close proximity - e.g. a store showroom, possibly hospital wards, and certainly my living room.

But so far I haven't been able to ascertain whether or not Telus has implemented unique identifiers ...

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Bell/Telus satellite have the unique remote code identifier. Optik TV has never had this feature.

You can suggest it in the Ideas section. Whether or not it can be implemented with Optik TV hardware is another story. New remotes pair with Bluetooth so should be possible with software..