PVR restart/resume program feature

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

JandD
Resident

I'm struggling with the new Optick TV restart/resume feature, where you can go to a channel and restart to the very beginning of the show that is being played.

I watch a show for a while and then I want to rewind just a few seconds to see something again. The PVR says "You have until 5:00pm to finish watching this program" and then I can rewind as much as I want, but then I can't go forward. PVR says skip has been disabled by broadcaster. I have to change channels and go back to be "caught up" on the show.

Can anybody explain the various features and how to use the remote with it, or point me to a manual? It is absolutely maddening.

Thanks.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Optik restart info can be found in the TV FAQ

Your experience is how it works. You can plan in advance, record the show, and skip forward or back to your heart's desire, or you can come late to the party, jump to the beginning, and watch it as if in real time - no skipping available.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
JandD
Resident

Apparently, that isn't how it works. Or perhaps we're not saying the same thing.

I ended up on the phone with Telus about another matter and they did an update and reboot of the PVR. It was newly installed and hadn't been synchronized (they say). After the update the problem went away. I can now change to a channel that says "Restart Show" and I can rewind and fast forward through the content that has been shown since I changed to the channel. Before the fix, I would change to the channel, watch for 10 minutes for example, hit rewind to go back a few seconds but then couldn't skip forward back to live. It was as if the PVR thought I had restarted from the beginning of the show, which I know you can't skip through.

The problem has been fixed with their update and reboot.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Thanks for sharing your solution & clarifying the situation.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Deanna1
Resident

Hello

We have the same problem with not being able to fast forward once we restart a show

it is very maddening indeed. we didn't​ ask for this feature bit didn't have any choice. if we want to watch a show from the beginning we will record it in the first place. can this feature be removed?  by the way our PVR was rebooted recently and we still don't have the ability to fast forward. I think the skipping disabled by broadcaster is a trick to make viewers watch the commercials

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

This has been discussed more in depth here > https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-TV-Home-Phone/Fast-Forward-disabled-by-broadcaster-message/td-p/...

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
djmatz
Resident

This feature would be great if you could fast forward, but since you can't it is the most annoying and useless feature ever. As others have said, if I want to watch a show from the beginning, I will record it. Sometimes, when simply switching channels, if I am not careful, it will restart, even thou that was not what I intended. There should be a way to disable this feature, or at least make it less likely to accidentally restart a show when simply switching channels.