cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PVR audio Output

Doug1Ames1
Ambassador

I've just started Telus Optik TV service withe CIS430 PVR, and I have a question about the audio output.

As in the past with all my previous PVRs (Shaw, Shaw Direct, Dish) I've had them connected to the TV with HDMI and to my receiver via optical link. I have the output set for surround sound. When I watch TV and listen via the receiver I get surround sound. But sometimes I don't bother with the receiver and the surround speaker system, I just turn on the TV and listen to the TV speakers, since it has adequate speakers and decent 3D surround simulation.

But with the Optik TV PVR I get no sound on the TV (via HDMI) if the PVR is set to output surround sound. I have to switch it to stereo output mode on the Audio menu to get sound from the TV. The audio output selection is buried several menu levels deep, making it a pain to switch back and forth.

Is there some setting I'm missing that would make this work properly?

Alternatively, is there a direct ir command that I could program my Harmony remote to send that would make the audio switch?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

For the most part it's a physical limitation of the PVR.

As for the Harmony, there is no corresponding command on the Telus remote to rapidly switch audio so you're probably out of luck.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

Doug1Ames1
Ambassador

My experiments with a remote control macro sequence to switch the audio mode were a failure. The CIS430 is too erratic in its response to remote commands. I stretched the time between commands out to 1/2 second, then one second, then 1.5 seconds - but still sometimes it misses a command. I noticed that from the start when using the Telus remote manually - sometimes the PVR just seems to be busy for a second or two and doesn't respond until I've pressed the remote 2 or 3 times (I can see the light flashing, so I know it's getting the remote commands).

But it occured to me that there's an easier solution to my problem. If all I want is a stereo audio signal going to the TV when I'm not using the AV receiver, I can connect an analog stereo audio cable from the PVR to the HDMI-1 auxiliary audio input on my TV and set the HDMI-1 audio input mode to Analog instead of Digital or Auto (fortunately my TV allows that). That works fine - no need for 18 key presses to change the audio mode on the PVR.

There's no point in running digital audio from the TV to the AV receiver, since it won't pass through surround sound (a DRM restriction rather than a technical one). The digital audio output on the TV is only intended for using the TV tuner to receive OTH programs with digital surround audio.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

For the most part it's a physical limitation of the PVR.

As for the Harmony, there is no corresponding command on the Telus remote to rapidly switch audio so you're probably out of luck.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks. I couldn't fine anything in the manual or in the ir command list, so I'm trying to contruct a macro sequence for the Harmony that would do the job. Unfortunately I'm running into another limitation of the CIS430: it's quite slow responding to commands, and tends to drop multiple commands in a row instead of stacking them (e.g., right, right, right, right, select, down... gets interpreted as right, miss, right, miss, miss...)

Oh well, I'll keep trying. The Harmony remote is pretty flexible - I can tell it to increase the inter-command time for the Telus PVR.

Question for you... have you tried running HDMI to the TV and (if possible) Optical/TOSLINK from the TV to your audio system? I have had many successes setting it up like this. It also eliminates the need to change the audio source on your audio system, as it always follows what the TV is displaying.

Doug1Ames1
Ambassador

My experiments with a remote control macro sequence to switch the audio mode were a failure. The CIS430 is too erratic in its response to remote commands. I stretched the time between commands out to 1/2 second, then one second, then 1.5 seconds - but still sometimes it misses a command. I noticed that from the start when using the Telus remote manually - sometimes the PVR just seems to be busy for a second or two and doesn't respond until I've pressed the remote 2 or 3 times (I can see the light flashing, so I know it's getting the remote commands).

But it occured to me that there's an easier solution to my problem. If all I want is a stereo audio signal going to the TV when I'm not using the AV receiver, I can connect an analog stereo audio cable from the PVR to the HDMI-1 auxiliary audio input on my TV and set the HDMI-1 audio input mode to Analog instead of Digital or Auto (fortunately my TV allows that). That works fine - no need for 18 key presses to change the audio mode on the PVR.

There's no point in running digital audio from the TV to the AV receiver, since it won't pass through surround sound (a DRM restriction rather than a technical one). The digital audio output on the TV is only intended for using the TV tuner to receive OTH programs with digital surround audio.

xray
Guardian

"I just turn on the TV and listen to the TV speakers, since it has adequate speakers and decent 3D surround simulation"

The problem might be with your TV. In order to produce DTS or Dolby surround sound your TV needs the proper decoding chips to process the signal. The surround simulation feature of the TV simulates surround sound from a stereo signal. It's not the same thing has being able to decode a surround signal.

Some TV's can decode surround but without knowing your TV brand/model it's hard confirm if this is the problem.

That's probably true, but since I don't have any way to see what digital audio encoding the PVR is putting out over the HDMI link, all I know for sure is that HDMI audio output from the Shaw PVR worked fine with my Panasonic TV and the Telus PVR doesn't. But since I've resolved the issue now by using analog stereo audio, it's no longer a problem.