cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PVR Drive is dying, is there a way to backup recordings before it dies or gets replaced?

Ashtanil
Just Moved In

I've had this set top box for as many years as I can remember, at least 5 or 6. The box reset itself right in the middle of me watching a PVR'd show, and since then all new recordings stutter. As in it would pause for 5 to 10 seconds every couple minutes, and when it starts playing again the last chunk of time (video and audio) has disappeared as if it blacked out like loss of signal. Live tv is less frequent, all shows are like this. I am guessing that the PVR's drive is about to fail. Is there a way to backup the shows recorded in the PVR previous to this issue and restore them to the replacement pvr/drive? Or do I just lose it all and just go to watch it on some internet streaming service?

1 REPLY 1

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
@Ashtanil Unfortunately the recording(s) are encrypted and can’t be backed up/transferred. If you get a new PVR all recording(s) will be lost. Only your “scheduled recordings” for selected shows times/date(s)/channel is transferred to the new PVR.

Depending on what you recorded. There should be a reasonable amount available on demand. While not all content will be available, it should help with your loss.