cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optiks on the Go not working

Brian2
Neighbour
  • I use this app quite a lot. However the new version doesn't work. I downloaded it a couple of times and when I try and open it I get the message ' Optik on the go has shut Down'. It didn't even start. I have Android 4.4.2. I'm not very happy at the moment.
13 REPLIES 13

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
@psl assume it supports 4.4.2?

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

If it doesn't then I feel that Telus IT developers don't care about us as customers. It's too bad because the customer service is second to none.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Is the Optik app labelled Optik TV or Optik to Go? Two very different releases. The Optik TV app says it's compatible with 4.4.

On a side note, you are using a device that is running a version of Android that is 4 years old and you expect app developers to keep supporting old, outdated, horribly insecure releases of an operating system, and the devices that run it? 80% of devices are using 5.0 and newer according to Google. Only 13% of devices worldwide are still using version 4.4.x. If you're worried about IT developers, you'll see an ever growing number of apps that will not support the system you're running as time goes on. May be time to consider a newer device.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Optik to go.

If I'm paying for a service I expect to be able to continue using it. Updating apps is normal as companies continue to improve. Telus has a perfectly good app that works with my 4.4.2 yet I'm not allowed to use it? My tablet works great. MLB TV works with my tablet, I pay for it. I expect a company to honour the fact that 13% of its customers are running older versions of Android and they should work to accomodate those customers. 

Why should they make me go and spend money that I don't have to keep up with them?

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
It’s no different then any hardware/software eventually they reach EOL and don’t receive updates..A company doesn’t owe you a compatible product forever.

The Optik TV app has been totally redesigned and updated to support their platform into the future. Eventually old technology gets left behind. It has always been this way for any electronics.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

@Brian2 wrote:

Why should they make me go and spend money that I don't have to keep up with them?

Keeping up with software & hardware trends is a necessity especially with the annually evolving smartphone. Your 4.4.2 Android device has fulfilled its useful shelf life. Android 5, 6, 7 and now 8 have been released so 4 is behind the times.

It hasnt fulfilled its shelf life. It works just fine. In the best Buy flyer this morning they are selling Android 4 tablets. The former app worked great. Telus should make both available. Now that we have 4K TV are companies saying that they are no longer going to make SD and HD available? Of course not. Smart phones have nothing to do with my issue. Im not concerned with them. I am concerned that Telus has now removed a viable service from me a paying customer and how many others? 13% of us who still operate Android 4? Bad move.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You seem to be missing what is being said. You are using the OLD, discontinued version of the Optik to Go app. Go download the current one and try that.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I have tried downloading the new one and it doesn't work. Yes, I know that technologies change. Yet Telus could give us an opportunity to continue to use the app that has been working so well and those that want to and can move to an upgraded version can do so.

Have two apps available. one for Android 5 and above and the current one for those of us that have lower than Android 5. 

Capture.JPG

As you can see on the chart 4.4 is no longer supported by Google. Yes, there are those who still use Android 4 and yes, there are those who still have SD television but they are in the minority. However, the majority of the market share goes to Android 6 and HD television. A few years from now Android 8 and 4K TV will be the majority in market share and where will that leave your Android 4 device? Less than 3% market share like that of Jelly Bean.

It has been stated that 13% of devices still use lower than Android 5. That is a chunk of the market and 4x that of the 3% that use Jelly Bean.

I am not up on operating systems and such. 

What vexes me is that last week I had a service that worked great and now I no longer have that service and am paying the same amount of money. I am getting less for the same amount. Poor service.

Capture.JPG

I think a notice to users should be distributed about using legacy devices that are no longer supported by Google. Even iOS, MS-Windows have limited support.

Capture.JPG

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Brian2 wrote:

Optik to go.

Optik to Go is the old version. It was replaced by Optik TV, even on the app store.