cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optik tv internet based service really slow

cafekief
Ambassador

My mom and me think the tv is really laggy and unresponsive to the remotes, especially the pvr and it has between 10 and 20% left on the hard drive, the telus tech said our house is out of a 20 is a 10 between the cabet and us, can there be any thing to make it faster? I have a friend by the Surrey,BC YMCA and they have 4 to 5 tvs, Video surveillance and a two floors, Help!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

My understanding is that such upgrades will not change the experience you are describing. The issues you describe are within your house, not with the delivery of the service to your house.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, if you have a nearly full hard drive, the PVR will slow down, as it has to search through more information to build the list. The secondary TVs will also seem slower, as the information has to move across your home network, and is not instantaneous.

NFtoBC

cafekief
Ambassador

So could i upgrade to a 500gb hard drive, like the tech said at the end of the summer and what about transferring the recorded shows? will this ever change with how far it is to the cabinet or in the year 2015, i heard the feeds are going to 5 by the end.  when will there be a software up grade to HD boxes or the routers? can i get two bonded lines coming into my house? is that possible? will that make it faster? Thanks

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

My understanding is that such upgrades will not change the experience you are describing. The issues you describe are within your house, not with the delivery of the service to your house.

NFtoBC

View solution in original post

cafekief
Ambassador

So should contact telus, what should i say? thanks so much! 😃

@cafekief wrote:

So should contact telus, what should i say? thanks so much! 😃

Welcome to cafekief: In addition to other replies-I suggest a None technical solution. Go to borrow a TV-Set-from the friend, who has 5-TVs & Connected and observe the difference. (It's faster* PS explain?) Switch channel boxes too-may help.

Re: Contact TELUS..what should I say? We can Not tell you exactly-How to explain the case. HERE are some options.

@Send a Text-Message or goto the nearest Telus-store. Keep reporting results & Good luck @cafekiefStay Tuned! <v9>

@v9-12 yrs.Telus mobile user & Ex-BC Tel cable installer.
Find this reply useful-Give likes to his author
The future is unknown?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

v9, since you have Shaw you may not be aware but the Telus STBs are registered to certain accounts. They are not swappable. If you meant borrow another TV, that won't have any effect on how the STB performs.

Telus Store? Those are not places to find tech support. They will get you to call in from home for one huge reason. You can't troubleshoot a hardware issue if you go out of your house to the store. Doing TV support by Chat is also the best way to take what would be a relatively short phone call and stretch it out into hours. Plus if the modem gets rebooted the chat session drops.

cafekief will simply need to call in and go through the troubleshooting steps. If they can't sort it out that way, they may send a tech and replace the STB if it is the problem. (cafekief would lose all recordings if the PVR was swapped out)

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

cafekief
Ambassador

Hello? help?

xray
Guardian

You haven't provided much information about the problem you are having. What do you mean when you say it's slow? Slow changing channels? Accessing certain menu items? Guide?

No, you won't be able to copy any recorded shows to a different PVR.

xray
Guardian

You also mention something about a cabinet. Is your STB behind cabinet doors?

cafekief
Ambassador

All of that!! ok,  the light green cabinet outside on the streets

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The small light green pedestal out on the street could be either cable (ie Shaw) or Telus. They use nearly identical boxes now. It also won't have anything to do with the speed that your set top box responds to the remote. The physical connection would only impact the speed of the connection itself. If the impact is severe enough (the tech would have fixed it when he was out there) it may impact the TV video quality by pixelating the image.

The distance to the "cabinet" as you call it? Are you able to move your house? Installing new pedestals and underground cabling is difficult and very expensive in established areas. They aren't going to run all new lines unless there is something catastrophic happens to the existing ones.

You also said "the telus tech said our house is out of a 20 is a 10 between the cabet and us". Could you please clarify what you are trying to say? 

Recorded shows are encrypted and will only work on the PVR they were recorded on.

If you want help, please answer the following:

1. Does the image pixelate on the screen?
  2. When you press a button on the remotes, does the power light on the STB go out at the same time? If yes, how long before the STB responds? 
  3. Does the response time differ between the non-PVR STB and the PVR?
  4. Have you tried the remote from another box on the PVR to see if there is a difference?
  5. If you restart the boxes, is there a difference then?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

cafekief
Ambassador

i cant move my house, but all my remotes are the same, would there be a difference?, the margin between me and my house in a 10 out of 20 he said, the green cabet is up the road 30 feet and to the right 10 to 15 and its right there. my dad has a telus tv, his are grey and my mine a my house are black? could i borrow one from him?? how do i send a text message to telus? what would i say to the sale person at the telus store?o, ya, we had three power outage and my washer did work and so we unplug and plug it back in, works now and one of our set top boxes in the front room wasn't working, the telus support person out in edmonton said it wasn't connect to there side and i think around the sumer time last year, one of the customer care support person said there an issue with your connection to us? i haven't phoned back or chatted online with them, do you think its still a problem?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Cafekief - please re-read my last two notes. You still have not provided any information requested that will help identify or resolve the problems with the Optik remotes. You do not need to borrow someone elses when you have more than one already.

Again, do NOT go to the Telus Store and do NOT try send a text message.  Just call Telus technical support, and go through the troubleshooting for the remotes. When that is complete, have them send out a repair tech to replace the damaged set top box that hasn't worked since the summer. It's defective and needs replacing and will be a problem.

And again let me stress what I stated previously, the green pedestal or cabinet will have NO EFFECT on how the remote deals with the set top boxes. Nor will it prevent one box from working. Whoever first told you about the green cabinet near your house sounds like they gave you bad information or you may have misunderstood what was said and the context it was in.

cafekief
Ambassador

I cant move houses and all of our remote are the same. i can borrow a box from my dad he has telus tv but his are grey and our are black. the pvr is really slow to change channels and go the guide. the distance to the green cabinet is a 10 out of 20

ET
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi there, as @Nighthawk suggested, I think this would be your best bet at this point:

''Again, do NOT go to the TELUS Store and do NOT try send a text message.  Just call TELUS technical support, and go through the troubleshooting for the remotes. When that is complete, have them send out a repair tech to replace the damaged set top box that hasn't worked since the summer. It's defective and needs replacing and will be a problem.'

Spoiler

cafekief
Ambassador

i didn't see there was two pages, i though it kept on going down, i have rebooted my pvr today at 1pm and the software client was 2.3 now its 2.4, quit faster now, ill wait a bit and see what happens for speed, will order three new remote because there are easy to set up and my room remote is about 2 years old and it cracking, thanks for the info!! 😃

ATTENTION: For the RECORDS. I suggested in another post to "cafekief" to write a Text-message, because he appears to be unclear on-How to explain his issue to the TELUS Support agent. Also it save time to goto the nearest (Telus Store) & describe our problems up there.

But it turns out that-What he needed it was to troubleshoot his devices and if not fixed, then request a technician to do the fix at home. But "cafekief" in his latest reply. Explain that he made a reboot on his PVR & noticed a speed increase from 2.3 to 2.4-According with his words he planned to buy other remotes. I hope cafekief fix the issue soon. Stay Tuned! <v9>

@v9-12 yrs.Telus mobile user & Ex-BC Tel cable installer.
Find this reply useful-Give likes to his author
The future is unknown?

cafekief
Ambassador

The telus tech is coming out tomorrow to fix the connectify issue and i just noticed the recorded tv shows are not showing up, its a black screen!! and i will be get a extra surge bar and hdmi cable too, sweet.

ET
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Awesome, I really hope you will get this working as it should 🙂

cafekief
Ambassador

the TELUS tech came out yesterday replaced the router to the t1200h and the pvr to a new one, he had to because the pvr wasn't responding to the modem, I was two to three gen behide on pvr's, way faster now!! thanks for all the help! 😃