cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optik TV

HelenD
Just Moved In

I'm a new Telus customer and am hugely disappointed with Optik TV.  It is clumsy, awkward, poorly set up.  As a Shaw client, I looked forward to turning on the TV.  Now with Optik TV, I dread turning it on and am missing favourite programs as a result. 

It seems that the TV onscreen set up and the remote were developed by someone who doesn't watch TV.  That was the case with the Telus technician (didn't watch TV, didn't have one) who was sent to set up my TV because the 'easy self-installation instructions" and an hour on the phone with a Telus support person failed.  Most of the onscreen and remote features are poorly conceived, poorly labelled, clumsy to navigate.

The jumble of images and information onscreen when the TV is turned on is annoying, unhelpful and takes several buttons to remove.  I don't want nuisance movie adverts in my face when I turn on the TV and have to take time to awkwardly remove them, requiring several poorly labelled buttons on the remote.  If I want to watch a movie on TV, I'll look for one to watch.  

Everything that one does with a TV - watch live TV, record a program, delete a recorded program, etc. - requires several buttons on the remote.  I have a list of specific deficiencies that I could enumerate.

I'd love to hear of any ways that others have found to improve Optik TV operation.  I can be more specific with problems, if needed.   

7 REPLIES 7

buckycat
Leader

Sounds like a common theme on here about the new Optik equipment. I’m still on the old box that works perfectly. Don’t know how long you have been with Telus but you have 30 days to cancel.

Sometimes Telus employees show up here and may be able to help, it seems that there are some shortcuts on the remote to speed things up, but there is a lack of documentation about them. 

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry to hear that! We definitely hear you and I can assure you that our Optik team is working tirelessly to improve the experience as much as possible. If there are any specific issues as you mentioned, feel free to mention them and we'll see if we can get you some solutions!

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @HelenD thank you for your feedback. Being around the neighbourhood, I am getting similar sentiments from other users. The TV Product team is aware that there may be an information gap and we're working on making information more transparent and available. 

If you are looking for a quick way to get rid of the home screen, long press the "back/return" button on the remote.

For quick access to your recording, long press the "rec" button on remote. 

I also recommend the following support articles in case you haven't gone through them:

How to use the TELUS TV+ app

Using and navigating your TELUS TV+ experience

TELUS TV Digital Box Remote

Furthermore, if you have specific deficiencies that you would like to elaborate, I will try to funnel it to our development team. Thank you! 

@Optik-Kate I had asked you in a previous reply to my post what time lines you had that we could expect some improvements?? Never got any response.
Given the ever growing number of discontented clients, one would think more information on timelines to address the dysfunctionality would be paramount.

Hi @RobG3987 , we hear you and our development team is working hard to make sure we're getting it right. We do have a lot of items that are in the works, but I don't want to provide any false timelines, so please stay tuned for updates as the release date comes near. 

MrSL
Leader

I too have just switched from Shaw and my first experience with Optik Telus TV+ and agree - it's terrible! I have been unable to set some series recordings. Pressing the record button twice it flashes with series recording then goes out. An example would be golf, the LPGA, I can't select the first day of play and make it a series recording. I have to manually scroll thru to the next day and set a single recording. Unable to change the end time too. Options only show channel selection? The remote is terrible too. No option to skip to next day unless you go thru all the options to select view next day. Some of my series recordings which worked for 2 weeks are no longer visible, just disappeared, had to go thru to reset. Why when you are viewing a current program and select guide, it doesn't always show the channel you are watching too? I agree startup screen is very annoying. It should just display the last channel you were watching.

SonicMojo
Neighbour

We just started a new Telus package this week - but before I detail my experience - I need to understand exactly what is being discussed here - is the general vibe discussing the experience via the NEW Telus TV Digital box (comes in a white box with a 2021 date on it and the product is a TELUSTV-21T) AND is clearly displays the new TelusTV+ "app" as it's front end - or is everyone using some older Optik TV experience?

We are using the "new" box and like many others - I was dumfounded to see all the crap come up on screen at every startup with a ton of tiles and categories etc - that exactly no one here wants to see (until specifically selected). 

What I want when I turn on the TV - is to see the last channel I was on and that channel on screen - and that is it. If I need OnDemand or a streaming app or anything else - I will select it. There is not even an ability to shut this stuff off by default and no - I do not want to "long press" on the Home button everytime I or a family member decides they want to watch TV.

Whoever designed this app thinks it's like Tik Tok where every possible tile or thing one can possible click on is displaying at startup - basically giving the user a headache from the start. 

Please make the Telus TV+ app simply start at (and stay on) Live TV at startup and let me decide where to go next.

Cheers

Sonic.