Optik TV on Xbox 360

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Advocate

Got an email from Telus today telling me Xbox 360 Optik TV will no longer be supported on Xbox 360.  A question:

If I still have a valid xbox 360 with the optic app will it keep working?

Obviously there will be no new swaps if an xbox breaks and you are out of luck with any connectivity help. 

thxs

Coach

The XBox is being removed as an Optik box fully in Jan. You can get a free rental in its place which should have been in the email you were sent. It would require speaking to Client Services: 1-888-811-2323

Mon-Fri 7:30 AM to 9 PM MST

Saturdays and Sundays 8 AM to 6 PM MST

(accessible in chat the same hours) www.telus.com/chat 

The actual warranty from TELUS for the X Box was one month from initial purchase. All warranty support would be from Microsoft after that time and would not have been replaced by us. We have not provided the option in a few years.

Highlighted
Ambassador

i have a ethernet hd box in my room and i was thinking to get by next year or boxing week sale a an xbox one, will the optik tv app coming to the xbox one soon?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

No. Xbox support is discontinued. Microsoft sold off the software platform that runs Optik years ago and is now ending all support on Xbox for it.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Connector

not what you wanted exactly but with the xbox one you can plug the hdmi from your telus box into back of xbox one and view your tv using the xbox one  which lets you use tv like another app on the xbox. you can snap tv to the side and watch tv while you play a game etc. One guide is a xbox version of your tv listings. it works really well. You can also set your xbox to boot o tv now as well. With this all set up it would be very similar to what was available on the 360 in past. Get the version with Kinnect and your tv will be fully controllable by voice as well.

Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

To clarify... are we talking about the Xbox gesture interface?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhddV6SSaO4

Highlighted
Advocate

All thanks for all the replies - we are an xbox house.   We have 3 xbox ones and many 360's.    Xbox one is for sure the way to go - however I have a couple rooms without xbox ones with just 360s and was hoping the Optik App would continue to work. 

MS sold the platform off a while ago.    I guess we will see Jan 27th if its a hard stop or just no new installs of the app.

Highlighted
Connector

No, with the Xbox One there is Kinnect 2 , it has really good voice control. Some stuff does have gesture control but to be hones i don't use it. voice does everything i need.

Ill give it my best of how it works:

• you plug your telus box into back of xbox one
  • in the game menu of xbox one you select tv like an app to watch tv. once you open it it will go fullscreen and you can use it just like normal if you want with your telus remote
  • if you want to xbox has its own guide that will run as well called "oneguide" it is an alternate guide with channels and shows just like on optik. however if you are using this you can control it using voice, switch channels by number or name, search shows, control volume etc.
  • since its running like an app on your xbox you can easily flip between tv,games,netflix etc.
  • xbox has a feature called snap which open a side bar to secondary things, you could snap tv o the side and do stuff like play a game with sports channel running on the sidebar.
  • there is an option for boot to tv so if you want you can have your xbox always start up to tv when it turns on.

I never used my 360 for a tv box (didn't have optik then) but i assume this really is very similar except probably does more. big difference is it doesn't replace the telus tv box, you still need the set top box and you just plug hdmi into back of xbox one.

here is link to random youtube video that shows what it looks like, justt picked first link but search for things like "xbox oneguide" "kinnect 2 voice control" "use your xbox one for tv|" and you should find lots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsSKGw3WDFw

Highlighted
Connector
I have seen on forums, not even sure where, that it wwill continue to work just no new or replacement installs