Optik TV - heavy compression

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

broadcastguy
Coach

I hate to flog a dead horse here, but I just switched to Optik TV (again) and I'm noticing that there's a considerable amount more compression compared to Shaw.  I still have Shaw and have been doing comparisons and the Shaw channels don't seem to suffer as much from the "blur effect" that the TELUS channels do when there is significant movement in the picture.  I'm also noticing the lack of detail on studio camera shots/graphics when watching the local news in HD. I'm really hoping that TELUS can or will reduce the compression of the channels for fibre customers as I do understand the limitations of copper and that right now it's one of those "lowest common denominator" situations.  

Will there every be a time that the channels will be encoded at a higher bit rate for fibre customers or is that a pipe dream?  Given the significant cost savings over Shaw, I'm almost willing to live with this, but I had hoped they would improve things since I last had the service 2 years ago.  Can any TELUS employees weigh in?

Thanks in advance!

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Is your Telus box set to 1080i/p? What kind of cable are you using? Some of the problem is also on the broadcasters end. Most only broadcast in 720p for their HD feeds and the box / TV scale them up.

As for higher bitrate, that may come once the fiber service area is much larger and if the broadcasters up their feeds to 1080p.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
broadcastguy
Coach

Yes, all the Optik boxes are set to 1080p and connected via ethernet and then to the TV via HDMI - just as the Shaw boxes were.  It's not a broadcaster issue as much as it is how compressed the channels are at the head-end.

I'm not looking for 1080p from broadcasters, simply a clearer picture - whether the original source be 1080i or 720p.  Unless this has changed, I believe that TELUS encodes their HD channels at 5.6 Mbps MPEG-4 as where Shaw is anywhere between 7-8 Mbps.  You'd think it would make for a huge difference, but it is quite noticeable.