Optik TV conflict with Linksys router

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Connector
We bought a good Linksys router to upgrade from our older one. We have the Linksys EA6400 (older router) set up in our living room where our 4K PVR and TV is. So this is our setup: we use the adapter box that comes with the 4K PVR that's connected to the coaxial cable as the internet source for the router. We then connect via Ethernet the PVR, our smart TV, and an Ooma phone we use as out home phone. EVERYTHING works fine set up this way with the older Linksys EA6400. Now when we set up the new Linksys EA9300 router, everything works as well, the wifi and the things connected via Ethernet. Except the PVR. The PVR plays any channel, but after 15 or so seconds, the PVR says it's lost connection. We can switch to another channel and it looks normal, but after 15 seconds, same thing. If we go back to the same channel, same again. Linksys Support said I had to call Telus Support and I did. What Telus tells me is that the 4K PVR has to be connected to the adapter box it comes with, and we know that, but it worked perfectly fine how we set it up with the EA6400, why wouldn't it work with the EA9300? Why does any channel we have play normally for 15 to 20 then say it's lost connection? All they told me then is that the PVR isn't guaranteed to work when connected to a third-party router. Can anyone explain this to me please, or how to possibly make it work? And before you suggest it, we did try resetting everything to see if it works, the PVR, router, the Telus modem we got, and the adapter box that comes with the PVR

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

@heinjordaan wrote:
 What Telus tells me is that the 4K PVR has to be connected to the adapter box it comes with, and we know that, but it worked perfectly fine how we set it up with the EA6400, why wouldn't it work with the EA9300? Why does any channel we have play normally for 15 to 20 then say it's lost connection? All they told me then is that the PVR isn't guaranteed to work when connected to a third-party router. Can anyone explain this to me please, or how to possibly make it work? 

Simple answer, the EA6400 could manage the multicast signal needed for Optik TV and the EA9300 does not.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

All Replies
Community Power User
Community Power User

I assume the T3200M modem supplied by Telus. Let the Telus supplied modem handle All Optik TV Service. Bridge the Telus modem using port 1, connect your third party router and let it handle everything else in your home. This is the setup the majority of users use on the Neighborhood.

Log into your Telus modem by entering 192.168.1.254 and enter the supplied username and password, either affixed with a sticker on the modem or your installer provided you. Click on the Advanced Setup Tab, Click on Proceed, Left Menu select Port Bridging, Select Enable then Apply.

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 7.00.39 PM.png

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

@heinjordaan wrote:
 What Telus tells me is that the 4K PVR has to be connected to the adapter box it comes with, and we know that, but it worked perfectly fine how we set it up with the EA6400, why wouldn't it work with the EA9300? Why does any channel we have play normally for 15 to 20 then say it's lost connection? All they told me then is that the PVR isn't guaranteed to work when connected to a third-party router. Can anyone explain this to me please, or how to possibly make it work? 

Simple answer, the EA6400 could manage the multicast signal needed for Optik TV and the EA9300 does not.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Also check the settings on your Linksys to make sure it's not blocking multicast packets/traffic. The TV cutting out after 10-20 seconds means multicast traffic is not making it through the router. According to Linksys' support page for the multicast filter, multicast is supposedly enabled by default on routers that support it. If the box for the filter is checked, it will block Optik from working on your router. If it lacks the setting entirely, the router likely won't work. Check that first. If the box is there and is not checked, there may be something on the router preventing multicast from working correctly. One reason many routers may block multicast is that it can impact other connected devices if the router is not configured to isolate it properly. The Telus gateway keeps that traffic separate.

Depending on how your home network is set up, consider having the Optik box run directly off the Telus gateway instead and everything else connected to by Linksys router connected to the gateway. A number of us use that configuration and it works quite well for me. I don't have port 1 on the T3200 bridged at all either.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂