Optik TV and Xbox 360 & XBox One

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Advocate

Hi there - would like a reply back from someone from Telus on the following questions:

1) Is it true that Optik TV Support for XBOX 360 will end in April 2015?

2)If so - what does this mean - no more new installs?   It stops working?

I have 5 Xbox 360's hooked up using the OPtik TV App to 1 Telus PVR so you can appreciate that I need a little bit of a roadmap to decide where I'm going with TV viewing in my house for my family.   I have recently purchased a shiney new XBox One.

3)What are Telus plans in regards to full support of the XBOX One?

4)Will there be One Guide integration?

5)Will there be an App or just support for HDMI in on the Xbox one.

thxs hope to get some answers to a few of the questions at least!!

JonnyD

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Advocate

Thanks for the reply - nice to hear my 360 fleet can keep on ticking past April 2015!!   What email / who do I need to let know my "wants" for Xbox One OneGuide support from Telus?  I personally think MS will support IR blast to the Telus box in the next update so it turns on Telus PVR with everything else with one voice command.  But OneGuide support would be cream on the top!!

I would move providers for whoever build the Xbox One / Supports the OneGude long term but your Xbox 360 news buys me much time.

Have a good day.

JonnyD

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Advocate

Actually one more question - will I be able to swap in new xbox 360's if needed or will my fleet be static after April 2015?

All Replies
Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hey,

To answer your questions, currently there are zero plans to bring Optik TV to the XBox One and I don't see them adopting the XBox One anytime in the near future.  As for the XBox 360 Optik integration, you'll still be able to use your five XBox 360s after April 2015 as an STB, but you'll be responsible for XBox Live Gold accounts for Optik TV to work and Telus has begun a stop promotion for the XBox as an STB, so if you are already have it, it's all good, if you're a new customer, you'll need to get an STB.

Hope this helps you!

H_D

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Advocate

Thanks for the reply - nice to hear my 360 fleet can keep on ticking past April 2015!!   What email / who do I need to let know my "wants" for Xbox One OneGuide support from Telus?  I personally think MS will support IR blast to the Telus box in the next update so it turns on Telus PVR with everything else with one voice command.  But OneGuide support would be cream on the top!!

I would move providers for whoever build the Xbox One / Supports the OneGude long term but your Xbox 360 news buys me much time.

Have a good day.

JonnyD

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Advocate

Actually one more question - will I be able to swap in new xbox 360's if needed or will my fleet be static after April 2015?

Highlighted
Advocate

Hoping to get an answer on my last qustion around xbox swaps after April 2015?

Highlighted
Advocate

Still playing with the settings.  Note to people in some areas - just like the Telus site itself some postal codes dont show up as Optik TV available.  Just pick any postal code in greater Victoria to get around this.

Will report back with more soon!

Highlighted
Advisor

Optik TV is currently supported on Xbox One through OneGuide and the HDMI-IN. That means you will require to have an Set-top box connected to the console. There is some postal code missing but I can report them to MS for you and they will add them to the database. You can control the STB,TV and A/V Receiver using the Kinect voice and soon the Smartglass app. I tested on the CIS430 and it works great.

There is currently 1 bug with the HDMI-IN and TELUS set-top box. You cannot view SD channel. The image will freeze. The issue has been reported during the beta and MS is working on a fix.

Highlighted
Advocate

Thanks or the heads up on SD Freeze - I actually thought I was using an SD channel but I'll check that.  Too bad you can only add favorites from the one guide and not actually hide channels that you are not subscribed to.   There also seem to be no PVR functions via Xbox Controller but I only gave it .5 of an hour - so maybe I'm still to discover it.  Darn nice having the set-top box startup with "Xbox on".

What do you have your IR delay set too? 

Missing postal code for reporting - V9Z 1C2

Highlighted
Advisor

You can do pause, play , fast forward, rewind.etc..etc. but you cannot start a recording or view the DVR list. That still has to be done from an external remote control. I have the harmony ultimate at home and I can control everything, including the xbox one, It helps with missing Kinect voice command. The oneguide has its limit. You can't change channel by channe #l. The Kinect will only recognize channel you have been too by name or if they are in your favorite.

It take some time to get used to it but I've been using it for months and its working great for me. Sometime I use the PVR guide, sometimes I don't. I love to walk away from the TV and say " Xbox Pause" or "Xbox Volume down". Very useful

Highlighted
Resident

I am attempting to set up the oneguide functionality with my optik TV. However when navigating the Xbox settings when prompted to select cable provider, optik TV does not exist. Telus Satelite option exists so I selected that. It looked like everything was working fine but I noticed that none of the channels are linked correctly. Is this because i chose the satelite option when I am an Optik customer? 

So for example, on the oneguide it says channel 804 is CBC HD, however when I select that it takes me to channel to 804 on my telus box which is actually msnbc SD channel.

Any suggestions

Highlighted
Advocate

Yep try Postal Code V9A 6X5 and see if OPtik TV shows up as a selection.  If that works reply back to the thread with your real postal code and Symtex will send it to MS - he seems to have an inside line :). 

I noticed I had to also set my cable box model numbers manually to get the exact model configured.  FYI.   Have fun!!

Highlighted
Advocate

Symtex:  Just as some feedback - I have never had an SD freeze.  So it must have been fixed or only with certain equipment.

Highlighted
Advisor

It is not fix. I am part of the MS preview program. the CIS430 and CIS330 are affected by this issue when your Digital Audio output is set to Surround Sound. If your STB is set to Stereo, it works fine.

Highlighted
Advocate

Yep - I'm running stereo only.  thxs

Highlighted
Resident

Hi, I tried the postal code mentioned and it allows Telus Optik TV to show up, but when I use my own postal code V7W1S7 I can only see Telus Satelite TV.  How do I get it so Optik TV shows up for my postal code?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus may not have Optik that far out yet. Will likely only be a matter of time before they get the hardware upgraded out there.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Advocate

@OddDust Leave your postal code in this thread.  Symtex will send it in as a bug to Microsoft for you.   Seem to have no ill effects running with wrong postal code.

Highlighted
Resident

Hi Symtex,

Could you request that postal code v3a8n2 be added as well? The Victoria postal code mentioned in this thread works fine but mine doesn't...

Thanks for all of the great info!

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

Symtex postal code V3C5X6 doesn't list TELUS Optik TV just all the others.  This postal code is for Port Coquitlam, BC.

Is there a postal for Vancouver that lists TELUS Optik TV?  I could try the one for Victoria but I think the channels would be slightly different.

From another forum, "postal code to V6B 6G1 and Optik is available as a choice". I will try this later and report back.

Highlighted
Resident

Hello

I have two things going on

I cannot find the Optik TV app on my xbox 360....I downloaded it...  I can see it in my settings, storage, games and apps,  but I cannot see it in a usable place...  like my video apps...  Where is it?   can I download it again?

My postal code is not there for my xbox one oneguide and Optik TV...I see the Telus Satellite but no Optik TV..   The postal code mentioned above does work, but mine does not    T0A3A4.....  THanks for the help

Advocate

@Boguswaif 

Hello xbox friend. I have not checked but was told that the xbox 360 would stop functioning at the end of January/Feb(ish). This is different than what was reported last year - they seemed to indicate xbox 360's already installed would still run. I can't test because I turned all my xbox's Optik IDs onto Digital Boxes. The behaviour you are seeing is probably the result of it being decommissioned. Check your email tied to your Optik account as they sent me a heads up email with a free year of xbox live and the offer of Digital Boxes as replacement.

I managed to get in the preview program and will report your Postal Code as not working.

Highlighted
Resident

Postal Code T6W1T7 please. 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Please stop putting postal codes into a dead thread. It will not have any bearing on whether or not service is brought to a certain area or town.

Also Drisnerd - There is service at that complex and even Telus' website offers up to 50mbps + Optik. Please try searching there first next time.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Advocate

Hi Drisnerd - I have submitted your postal code as part of the feedback via the preview program.   Thanks as it will make the next users setup easier than yours.   Ignore Nighthawk he is usually very helpful in the forums he must have not caught the just of the thread.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

jdowsett - The main gist of this thread was originally in regards to the Xbox and Optik support ending. Then the thread was derailed to be for the OneGuide and postal codes not being found, which Microsoft isn't putting a lot of work into. It's been two years and the problems still haven't been sorted out yet on Microsoft's end. I'm still amazed that people are not complaining to Microsoft about the postal code issue, but only here or on Shaw's forums. Only one of Microsoft's support forums has a post about this issue but it's from Bell users, and has no solution yet either besides using the wrong postal code.

As for the preview program, isn't that just giving you the basic ability to submit general feedback to M$ but that there's no way to know whether or not it'll ever be actioned? Microsoft's official position is this problem doesn't exist and they only add postal codes periodically.

Highlighted
Advocate

By the way your 2nd paragraph in your response read I thought you had misinterpreted that he was looking to see if Optik Tv the actual Tv service was available in his complex

. Apologies. I had my postal code fixed. Not sure if it took months or weeks because I didn't try setup again for a long time. I have found the preview program very good actually and have been contacted directly by MS a couple time for things I reported. I imagine results will vary as with any large company. Thanks for all the posting you do i have read many in my quest to fix issues. Cheers