cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optik TV & Internet 150/150 Connected - Questions

loopsdude
Connector
Got TV and Internet connected.  All good on those two fronts but two outstanding issues remaining.

- Lost my home phone connection.  Telus tech said I was provisioned to stay on Copper and not converted to Fibre.  The support group is troubleshooting still and he told me that I could be without a home phone line for a while it is resolved. 😳

- 4K issues with my brand new Sony XBR55X850D 4K TV.  Apparently waiting for a firmware upgrade to 4K PVR.

16 REPLIES 16

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
If they can't resolve your home phone service today. Have them setup call forwarding till it is fixed. At their expense..

As for the 4K issue, Telus is aware of the issue on Sony televisions. Just need to wait for an update to fix that. On the flip side not much 4K content is available right now. So not missing much.

Consider yourself on the leading edge of technology in western Canada.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Unless the tech disconnected the copper line at your house (unlikely, given the provisioning instructions), it should be still working, and able to be instantly re-provisioned, as the disconnect on their end should be able to be resolved in minutes. Something similar happened to me when they installed Fibre to my house. The fibre was pulled through the same conduit as the copper, in parallel, but the phone had been disconnected. The connection of my landline was fully addressed before the techs left the job site.

If you have a cell phone, I'd suggest following the advice @WestCoasterBC gave about call forwarding.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

The Call Forwarding suggestion is very good and for that thank you. My immediate concern is that I rely on the home phone for my home security. I ended up calling in and created a ticket. The voice team is supposed to be testing my home phone and if needed, an appointment has been made for tech to visit tomorrow morning.

Here's my speed test. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5587235955

I got the T1200 H and a wifi extender and not the T3200. Not sure if it is better or not it for now, I have the T1200H.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

How many times has your alarm system responded successfully to an intrusion? It is highly unlikely that the circumstances will arise that will set off the alarm while your landline is down. To echo The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy: "Don't Panic". Your phone should be back online in short order. 

The 3200 offers no real advantage to the user over the 1200 to the consumer. It benefits Telus as it is one less piece of equipment to be managed (the Wi-Fi extender for wireless Optik TV), and is common across all their installations. 

I may be putting the 1200 back in service, as I can't get AirPrint to work on the 3200.

Enjoy your newfound speed!

NFtoBC

Good reminder about the AirPrint. I will check that out.

Another question on the T1200H and ssid name. If I change the ssid from the generic Telus name to my own, will the ssid on the wifi extender change too??? Do I need to reconnect my existing connected devices again or do they automatically sense the name change??

Also, the guest ssid works right if I enable it?

If you change the SSID on the T1200 the extender SSID names will be changed on the 2.4/5ghz. Keep in mind, you will have to reconnect all your wireless devices to the new SSID you create. The guest account if enabled will work how ever you wish to set it up.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

Does that include the Telus Wireless boxes too?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@loopsdude wrote:
Does that include the Telus Wireless boxes too?

Yup! But would only need be done once.

And yes, the Guest SSID works as expected. Since it's a low risk connection, I use a simple to share password, familiar to family, the most frequent users.

NFtoBC

image.pngI enabled the guest SSID but there was no where to enter a guest password.  Is it under a different section??  

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm about three single malts in just now, but if I recall, selecting the 'Select SSID' drop down should show a guest option. You can then set a specific password for that ID. Let me know if this works (or not) and I can dig deeper in the morning!

NFtoBC

Lol nope, there's no guest ssid when I select the drop down menu.  Thanks and enjoy the malt

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

See you tomorrow, then!

NFtoBC

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@loopsdude

The Select SSID dropdown menu should have 2 entries. You have already changed the SSID name of at least one of the two to BernzWenIP. This should be your primary Wireless network connectivity point for YOUR network. Guest access should NOT be enabled on this SSID.

The Dropdown should have a second SSID. Choose this, apply the Guest option to this second SSID, and add a unique SSID name indicating it is a guest network. Apply a different password to this SSID, using the Custom Passphrase option at the bottom of the page.

You should now have two wireless networks, both of which connect to the internet, but share no network resources between them.

NFtoBC

Thanks NFtoBC, great instructions.  I successfully set up a guest network and thank you for the assistance 

RonAKA
Rockstar

Easy to fix. Just go to Best Buy, Staples, Costco, or others and pick up an Ooma box. You will pay back the cost with the deleted home phone service monthly fee in no time. Ooma costs $4 a month.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/ooma-ooma-telo-2-internet-phone-ooma-telo-2ca/10324724.aspx?path...

I'm only paying $10 for my home phone (loyalty plan). To convert my home security to cellular will not cost me anything in hardware cost (home security loyalty offer) but my monthly fee goes up by more than $10 per month. So it is worth it to keep my home phone for $10 per month.