cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optik TV Box Limit

rjb75
Organizer

I was wondering if there is a limit to the amount of Optik TV boxes that can be connected on one network. I currently have Shaw's Gateway system and two additional HD Shaw boxes for the TV's. I have looked into Shaw's Blue Sky but it won't work with my home control system. I currently have Telus Pure Fibre 150/150.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've heard of one user with a total of 6 boxes before though I'm not aware of a hard limit on boxes. Currently the most available streams that I've seen so far that can be used are 5 HD ones. That means only 5 boxes can be watching one thing simultaneously. Less if the PVR is also recording though the total still remains 5. For example, 1HD being watched + 1HD recording on PVR means 3 remain for other boxes. The streams do not include boxes watching recorded content from the PVR.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus offers up to 2 wireless devices as part of the rental package. There is no technical reason why more could not be added.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

SmokeJV
Advisor

Under the terms and conditions for the Wireless boxes it says the maximum amount of Wireless boxes is 4. 

Is there any limits in terms of wired boxes?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've heard of one user with a total of 6 boxes before though I'm not aware of a hard limit on boxes. Currently the most available streams that I've seen so far that can be used are 5 HD ones. That means only 5 boxes can be watching one thing simultaneously. Less if the PVR is also recording though the total still remains 5. For example, 1HD being watched + 1HD recording on PVR means 3 remain for other boxes. The streams do not include boxes watching recorded content from the PVR.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

csa60
Friendly Neighbour

Hi, I happened onto this discussion because I received a message yesterday that I couldn't watch a recorded program because there where too many HD programs currently being viewed.  I suppose to be able to access 5 simultaneous HD feeds and only 3 were in use - so there is a problem there.  I turned off one receiver and problem cleared.  However, this discussion has reminded me of a couple of things that I'm uncertain about.  These are:

1) Does a recorded program count as an HD feed?  For example, if I am suppose to have 5 HD feeds, does that mean I can watch 1 recorded HD program and record 4 live feeds  OR watch 1 recorded HD program and record 5 HD feeds?

Also,

2) I currently have one wireless box but when my contract is up I am planning on buying 2 more.   If I do buy 2 more can I run them off the Cisco Optik wireless modem that transmits to that box or do I need to buy one for each wireless box?

Thanks

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Watching recorded content from the PVR shouldn't count as a stream. Any live TV will count. You can check how many streams (SD and HD) you have allotted in the system settings on any Optik box. The number will depend on your internet speed. 5 is not the automatic default.

Telus doesn't use Cisco modems / routers. You should just have the T3200M gateway.

csa60
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for the quick reply Nighthawk.  I have Internet 50 and I was informed by Telus that includes 5 HD feeds which I was led to believe were independent of the internet package.  Interestingly I just checked System settings as you suggested and it said: Recording 6 HD + 0 SD and Playback 2HD + 1 SD. Streams HD 6 HD +0 SD.

I believe you may be mistaken with respect to the Cisco - access point because the service tech hooked one into one of my ports to the T3200M and informed me it was the interface with the wireless box.

Thanks again.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The T3200 itself has it's own interface for the wireless boxes. For the most part it replaced the little wireless dongles that used to be used.

csa60
Friendly Neighbour

Interesting.  I'll try unplugging the Cisco-AP and see if my wireless box still works.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You'll need to connect it to the T3200 just like the tech would have for the AP. You can find the information here: https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/my-tv-has-no-video-connect-pair

csa60
Friendly Neighbour

It seems that your ability to watch recorded TV is dependent on how many other TV's are being used on the account.  As I said in the post above, my PVR playback profile says 1SD and 2HD streams.  This seems to mean if I have 2 TV's (optik) boxes running HD programs I can not watch a recorded program on a third TV.  This is actually not a huge issue because the problem arises in our house because our bedroom TV is responding to the remote in the family room and it is easy enough to turn off the box and close the door.  However, it would have been nice if this was explained somewhere in the Telus documentation. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@rjb75 wrote:

Is there any limits in terms of wired boxes?

Only one PVR. I would spect the same limit whether you have the secondary units set up wired or wireless. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

I know it would probably not be normally be possible but I'd be curious what the limit would be.

You would need your PVR hard wired to the modem, then you have three additional ports on the modem for wired boxes, then 4 wireless boxes.  Or would more wired boxes work if you connected then via a additional switch to the modem?

It looks like Telus doesn't even have the old 'wired' secondary boxes listed on their hardware section, so I wonder if they no longer offer them?

I admit going that far is a bit much for a normal residential setup, but I wonder if Telus has ever tested a hard limit at all.  😉

Most, if not all the wireless boxes also work in wired mode. As the push is towards wireless, they advertise them as wireless boxes but both IPV5050 and VIP5602 work in wired modes.

Sticki17
Organizer

I currently have the 4K PVR, 2 wireless digital boxes and 3 wired boxes connected.  Before that I had a PVR and 5 wired digital boxes.  Pretty sure the limit is 6 boxes.

As for HD streams I believe it is 5 if you are on copper and 6 if you are on fibre optic.