Optik TV App => Watch recordings?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum
OK.... from my iPad, I can see my listed recordings. However, I can't get them to play the recordings once I have the episode selected on the app. Am I doing this wrong?

From the Guide, I see a "Watch Now" button. But nothing for recordings.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Ambassador

Sorry, but the app does not allow you to watch recorded content from your PVR on your Ipad. On Demand content and Live content provided in the app are the shows available. Recordings from your PVR are only accessible on the Optik boxes.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Most Helpful
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

To clarify....I can see my recordings on the iPad with the app... how can I trigger them to play on the TV like I can with live programs?

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Ambassador

Since this option is not currently available, we wouldn't be able to comment on how it would work. If it becomes available in the future, addition information will be provided. Stay tuned for updates! 

All Replies
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Ambassador

Sorry, but the app does not allow you to watch recorded content from your PVR on your Ipad. On Demand content and Live content provided in the app are the shows available. Recordings from your PVR are only accessible on the Optik boxes.

Highlighted
Most Helpful
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

To clarify....I can see my recordings on the iPad with the app... how can I trigger them to play on the TV like I can with live programs?

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Ambassador

Since this option is not currently available, we wouldn't be able to comment on how it would work. If it becomes available in the future, addition information will be provided. Stay tuned for updates! 

Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum
OK... so the iPad smart remote app cannot playback Optik recordings on the TV. The smart remote app can only play live content from the guide.

Just wanted to make sure I'm using the app correctly. It's strange the app can show everything on the Optik PVR.... but unable to trigger it for the TV.
Highlighted
Coach

@Hippo wrote:

Recordings from your PVR are only accessible on the Optik boxes.

That seems so odd, and counter-intuitive.

I spent some fruitless time yesterday trying to watch a recording on an iPad (a football game I recorded earlier in the day) before I realized that all I had done was turn the recording playback on the PVR box (the TV was turned off so I didn't realize it was simply controlling the Optik TV box).  This was further compounded by the fact that I was (initially) certain I had watched a recorded game a couple of weeks earlier - which I now realize wasn't a recording but was initiated as a live stream that I paused a number of times.

So, that makes me wonder what the problem is with playing back on another device within the Wi-Fi network of your home.  In my case I do not have another optik box or TV, and an iPad or tablet seems like an excellent way to view something when the TV is occupied by someone else.  Clearly there isn't a problem with actually sending content to such a device, so... anyone have a clue why your own recordings are unavailable?  Is this some sort of odd content licensing restriction?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

I don't think any TV providers in Canada have the ability to watch recorded shows on another device (tablet, phone, pc) currently. Some of the American ones do. It may have to do with content licensing and related agreements.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂