Optik Slimline remote

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Bpruner
Friendly Neighbour
The old optik remotes had a programming code 977 which allowed controlling power for three devices at once (stb,tv,receiver)....see http://static.telus.com/common/cms/files/get-help/programming_your_optik_tv_remote.pdf

The new slimline remotes do not have the same ability listed in the instructions... Is there a code or process that allows this?
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hey,

With the new slimline remote, they made the process a whole lot easier.  Press mode so that TV is now in RED.  Then hold the mode button down for a few seconds until the red TV light flashes twice.  Insert the TTV code.  Press power and if the TV turns off, you put the correct code in.  When you first press power and the TV turns off, press okay on the remote, and then press power again and make sure the TV turns.  Once the TV turns on press the mode button two twice so that the Optik TV light light is green and then you're all good to go.  No need to the 977 code anymore to combine the STB with the TV codes.

Hope this helps you!

H_D

Bpruner
Friendly Neighbour
Thanks

That helps with turning off ttv and tv, but not my receiver. On my old remote, it had a 'code 977' that allowed turning off or on all three...is there a similar function for the slimline ?
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hey,

Sorry, misread your original question, for a receiver/sound system it's really hard to program it into the new slimline remote.  Usually in these cases we advise that you simply use the receiver remote for the sound as it'll save you a lot of headaches.

Hope this helps you!

H_D

Sticki17
Connector

I was able to program the slimline remote to control my Sony receiver for volume but it does not power it on or off with the digital box and tv.  When I hit the power button only the Optik and tv lights go.  It doesn't even attempt to power the Aux.  Is there anyway to get it to power the Aux without manually changing modes?  It should power all 3 on and off.

Hippo
Ambassador

Hi there,

Have you tried following the programming instructions listed Online here: http://www.telus.com/content/help/common/pdf/TELUS_TV_user_guide.pdf

Sticki17
Connector

That's how I programmed the remote.  For Aux it will control the volume on my Sony receiver and if I switch the mode to Aux it will power off my recevier.  But if the mode is on Optik and I press the power button it will only power off the Optik box and tv.  It does not attempt to power off the Aux.

Hippo
Ambassador

Ok. Not all functions are supported with all devices. It might be best to turn on/ off the receiver with the remote that came with the device.

adamjstewart
Resident

If you have a Sony reciever, and a Sony TV, the TV will mirror the on'off function of the reciever.

Jeff_E
Friendly Neighbour

Field technician here. I hear you, I like programming my customer's remotes for any devices they use. It's nice to be able to get all your devices working in unison. Unfortunately, the Slimline remote only supports turning on/off your set top box and television together. You can power your auxillary device on and off, however you'll have to change the mode to "Aux" in order to do this.

treceveu
Resident
Well, I think this is ridiculous. The new slimline remote I recived to replace the old one has less functionality than the old one. Having to go through a sequenced routine and/or use multiple remotes is a significant step backwards that will irritate me several times every day. What was Telus thinking? The slimline is obviously capable of controlling the devices individual so I don't know why allowing three devices to synchronize rather than two would be a difficult programming exercise. I want my old remote back! Telus, this is a "fail"...
curtxxx
Resident

Thinking the same thing Sticki17 and treceveu - was just going to go on ebay to buy the classic remote to get rid of this problem....unless anyone knows if the Slimline 2 is able to turn on all 3 at once?  Telus Live Chat help is absolutely useless

Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

There is a new Slimline 2 remote coming which should allow you to control a receiver. See the instruction sheet here: http://static.telus.com/common/cms/files/get-help/TELUS_Slimline_Remote_2_Insert.pdf

It contains codes for both TV and Amplifier units from major suppliers.

More codes available here: 

http://static.telus.com/common/cms/files/get-help/Optik_4_Digit_Codes_for_Remote.pdf

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Community Power User
Community Power User

I didn't realize there there was a new remote coming.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Not sure if it's attachment to old ways..... I like the feel the Slim1 design is better.  The ergonomics is better for PVR control.  Slim2 will be better for seniors as the text and buttons are larger.

John3
Resident

I had the same problem after switching to the new remote, the old one was worn out. I replaced Sony because it was over 20 years and failing. The Insignia (Best Buy branding of Sherwood) ignores the remote. The best that Telus can come up with is to tell you to use the remote that came with the receiver. Inconvenient, and not acceptable for an advanced technology company. 👎🏻i

Pantera
Connector

I just received my new Slimline2 remotes. Much to my surprise, it turns my Optik STB, Sony TV and Yamaha amp all on and off, when I press the Optik TV button. Initially, it would not turn my amp on and off (volume control only) but I kept trying different codes until it worked. I could never get the old Slimline to do this.

Lincoln
Resident

Its incredible reading all the things people have to go through to get their remotes to work. I am continuously mystified by remotes with dozens of buttons. The result of pressing these buttons rarely correlates to their labels.

When is Telus going to hire Apple to design them a proper user friendly remote.

Community Power User
Community Power User

My biggest wish is that they might be backlit.......

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
scotty
Neighbour

got a slimline 2 for my mother in law who is 85 to try and simplify what she has to go through to turn on the devices, anyway I cannot get the red light to flash when I try to program the tv, any idea what I am doing wrong.

thanks..............scotty