cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optic tv

rayrayjj
Rockstar

Does telus only use 60Hz on there optic receivers because all four of my TVs are 120Hz to 240Hz so I'm just wondering if they all are broadcasting in 60Hz or is there a setting that I can turn of to make them 120Hz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

All you wanted to know is if Optik supported higher than 60Hz? No TV service runs higher than 60Hz. When 4K becomes the industry broadcast standard, maybe that will change but that is not going to happen soon. 4K as a standard would also require internet bandwidth and speeds to be significantly increased globally along with a complete overhaul of STB/TV technology and equipment.

UPI and CMR are both the same type of manufacturer specific proprietary rating but ultimately have no comparable basis as there is no industry standard. If you believe those numbers mean something is superior, more power to you.

If you want to expand your knowledge and understanding, go read up on motion interpolation on HDTVs. It's also called TruMotion on LG TVs. It's what makes the video look so much different than the default 24fps or 30fps it's filmed in.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

xray
Guardian

Not sure what you are asking. The TV refresh rate has nothing to do with the incoming signal. 

Why is my tv a 240Hz and only displaying 60Hz on telus optic???60Hz on blue ray?????Do I have settings wrong on tv is what I am asking??or is it telus????Doesn't matter the picture is great,just wondering...All four of my TVs,3 are 4k and one is 1080p..All show 60Hz..

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

A 240Hz TV means the salesman saw you coming and robbed you blind. TV signals are 60Hz. There's no such thing as 120hz or 240hz content--just 24hz and 60hz, because film is shot at 24 frames per second (fps) and video at 60. One key advantage of that faster refresh rate is that it can show both types of content at their native speed, since both 24 and 60 divide evenly into 120 and 240. This results in better-looking film-originated content, although the difference is only occasionally noticeable.

Read this: LCD Response Time and Motion Blur

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

rayrayjj
Rockstar

Ya,that's a good point but films now are 30fps and your trying to tell me you can't tell the difference is bulls hit because when I watch a movie like transformers or let's just say pacific rim I can tell the difference from my 120Hz to my 240Hz big time maybe you should go to best buy and ask them to play there demo video before you tell me I got suckered into something that does nothing because I can sure tell you there's a big difference between 60hz and 120hz,its not just a marketing scam like it use to be..My TVs are true 120Hz and true 240Hz tv with uci 1500 which means ultra clarity index if you didn't no. Thank you!!!And I can tell the difference when I am gaming to, on  my xbox1....

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User
I've seen them before. You don't appear to be familiar with the technology behind how they work though. You're also ignoring the refresh rate versus the frame rate of the video source.

Gaming? You do realize most games these days are a minimum of 30fps and are typically 60fps? Those make a significant difference on screen. They'll of course look better than regular 60hz or 24fps content would. Most of the TVs with high refresh rates 120Hz+ will also interpolate additional video frames to make the video on screen seem a lot smoother or higher frame rate than the source actually is.

Ultra clarity index? That is LG's latest marketing buzzword and is not any kind of actual industry standard. It is limited to LG only and is a way they can differentiate their TV models for the uninformed who are easily swayed by big or important looking numbers. It's one of the oldest marketing tricks in the book. Every UHD TV manufacturer has their own scale they use to rate how their models compare to each other but never between the different manufacturers.

Best Buy is also one of the best places to get ripped off, right next to Future Shop, Visions or The Brick. And possibly London Drugs.

rayrayjj
Rockstar

Well thanks for info but I didn't buy any of my tvs from any of those shop I support my local independent dealer and ya that is a lg 55"lg lb6500 and I have a lg 55"la9700 and it doesn't have any fancy Hertz gimmicks its 240hz,but I also have a samsung 60 " plasma with Chromecast and my sonson 12yr old has lg 49" ub8500 and my 3.5yr old has a Samsung 5000 series with roku3 ,I just went to my garage to look at the box's, so don't think I buy my technology from chains because you don't no s hit you probably do all your research on the internet and I respect that and I'm not trying to go to war with you but do you want pictures of my receipts because I pay $100 to $200 dollars more to support a local shop, but if you have ever compared 4k or ultra HD to 1080p you would no,my Samsung 60" plasma almost matches the one lg6500 but my lg la9700 blow it away ...And they are professionally calibrated..All I wanted to no is if optic tv can run higher than 60Hz....And my best tv is the lg la9700 without all the fake hertz crap..

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

All you wanted to know is if Optik supported higher than 60Hz? No TV service runs higher than 60Hz. When 4K becomes the industry broadcast standard, maybe that will change but that is not going to happen soon. 4K as a standard would also require internet bandwidth and speeds to be significantly increased globally along with a complete overhaul of STB/TV technology and equipment.

UPI and CMR are both the same type of manufacturer specific proprietary rating but ultimately have no comparable basis as there is no industry standard. If you believe those numbers mean something is superior, more power to you.

If you want to expand your knowledge and understanding, go read up on motion interpolation on HDTVs. It's also called TruMotion on LG TVs. It's what makes the video look so much different than the default 24fps or 30fps it's filmed in.

Ya I guess you do alot of research so could you tell me what dog food to
buy  because I think my dog is allergic to chicken and I feed her orijen
dog food ,can you do some research on dog food to for me because it sounds
like your a human dictionary !! Lol..I don't have time to play on the computer because I'm only home for 1 week a month so the wife does all the research and I just sign the checks..this is the most I've been on my phone for months chatting with you..and I think the true motion makes it look like a video game when I have it on,it just seems to real if you no what I mean,I don't no what that's called but to me it makes it look like robots..so I turn it off and turn on real cinema and I like how that looks...And buy the way thank you for all your info I really do appreciate the help and all the knowledge you have and I'm just joking with you so please don't take it to heart..