On the go app

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

hawki
Neighbour

Really need to know why on the go is not permitted to be used on a rooted device.

Accepted Solutions
Most Helpful
mtn
Advisor

I know its frustrating... I believe its all to do with rights management. They cannot guarantee what will happen to that stream on a rooted device.  With a locked down device it is very hard to anything but watch the stream.   I have Cyanogenmod on my Android and cannot get on-the-go.  Considering the offerings available on network tv, that isn't much of a loss.  Thank goodness I can still get Netflix

View solution in original post

All Replies
Most Helpful
mtn
Advisor

I know its frustrating... I believe its all to do with rights management. They cannot guarantee what will happen to that stream on a rooted device.  With a locked down device it is very hard to anything but watch the stream.   I have Cyanogenmod on my Android and cannot get on-the-go.  Considering the offerings available on network tv, that isn't much of a loss.  Thank goodness I can still get Netflix

View solution in original post

hawki
Neighbour

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You get the message even on NON ROOTED devices and many people complain on the devices it won't work on. Yet every update which is few and far between telus pushes out it resolves nothing.

I even have a cheap Hipstreet Phoenix 16GB stock non rooted and says it is.

Pretty lame if you ask me.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

My stock brand new Que 4.5 is a similar situation.  I have not modified the OS, yet Optik on the Go will not work.

Sad Panda...

xray
Guardian

Doesn't work in OnePlus running Cyanogen 11 (KitKat) or 12 (Lollipop) from the factory.

mtn
Advisor

Bought a new phone.. yeah! Installed on-the-go, fired it up, it works! Except majority of channels have a little icon next to them which means you can only view them at home (ie on the same network as your Optik box, not outside the home.) What a let down. If I'm at home, I'll watch it on TV. 

So xray, save your angst over Optik-on-the go. It's a bust, and not worth it.

xray
Guardian

Yes, I know about the home location restrictions on many of the channels. I used the app on my previous phone. It's unfortunate that the few who may be giving access to unauthorized users is ruining it for the rest of us.

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I'm just so glad to see optik on the go works my Blackberries. My mobile viewing habits are simple. Global and fairchild... both are 

garyyu17
Neighbour

Sorry to revive an old thread but has this been resolved or is there a workaround for this yet?

I'm currently using a OnePlus One running Cyanogen Mod with the latest updates.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

It doesn't work on my OnePlus One either. I suspect it's because the app sees CM on there instead of some variant of stock Android that isn't rooted. Would be nice if that was fixed.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂