cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New TELUS cloud-based TV service to follow?

broadcastguy
Coach

With Shaw announcing today that they've partnered with Comcast to bring the X1 cloud-based TV platform to Canada, will TELUS soon release something innovative to compete?  Let the speculation begin.

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

So Shaw's going to make their users buy all new boxes? Bet that will ensure people remain loyal and don't leave...

As for the cloud functionality, I'm not going to hold my breath that the features involved will come to Canada for some time. The software powering Optik boxes has the option for Cloud DVR already but it's likely not licensed yet or at least Telus hasn't made any announcements.

Downloading TV shows from the PVR to mobile devices? That's been in discussion for years except the broadcasters have never allowed their content to be downloaded like that in Canada yet. If they by some miracle allow Shaw only to do it, expect a huge CRTC complaint from all other providers in the country to either kill that or give all providers that ability.

The X1 hardware currently allows for a maximum of 5 streams. Shaw's current offers 6 so that means heavy TV users on Shaw will lose a box.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I wouldn't hold my breathe on exactly what it will end up being. If it's like any of their previous hardware the moon was promised and to this day the hardware saw 50% of it's real potential. Even though in the USA the pretty much delivered 100% of the functionality.

Shaw's had a pretty bad track record when it comes to hardware and firmware.

Deagol
Just Moved In

I had Optic TV services installed around one month ago and they installer at that time confirmed to me that Telus would soon be releasing the cloud based DVR services. Awesome. Now this has me wondering who I need to be bugging up at Telus offices to get a smart TV app built for my LG smart tv allowing me to drop the slow and unnecessary box above my tv with an app built into my smart TV. Rogers already has the anywhere tv app installed out of the box. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

They won't build an app for individual Smart TVs. Too many different devices and platforms. Telus will be licensed or restricted from the broadcasters and content creators as to what platforms and mediums the content can be viewed on. It's why the Optik to Go app doesn't allow you to watch live TV from ALL channels.

As for cloud DVR, if I can watch my recorded shows on my tablet, etc., that would be nice. I still don't see it happening that soon though.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂